Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 08:13 AM

186 posts, read 365,386 times

Advertisements

if republicans who are running for the senate/congress win in the upcoming election in november, they'll outnumber the democrats and they'll vote down an extension in unemployment benefits (meaning the tiers). i hope everyone keeps this in mind in the upcoming elections. the fact is we need more jobs. companies are playing with people knowing they have their pick..a 50 k salary has now turned to a 30 k salary for the same job...and they take away the health benefits, etc...knowing that someone will take it because they have to. it's an employer's market now. and it sucks for people who need to make a certain amount to pay for their home, kids, etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 09:42 AM

640 posts, read 1,986,695 times
I apologize for my lack of knowlege about this.

Does anyone know, once the elections are over, when any newly elected Congressmen actually are seated into their new positions?

From reading this thread, I thought the "lame duck" session meant partly that current Congressmen would still be in Congress trying to push through whatever they could begore the newly elected Congressmen are seated.

How does this work?

Thanks.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:53 AM

1,828 posts, read 4,655,375 times
Jane I believe most new ones are seated in January but there are a few that will be seated right away which could hinder any unemployment extensions.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:19 AM

3,814 posts, read 11,973,911 times
The 112th U.S. Congress is scheduled to meet from January 3, 2011, to January 3, 2013. Senators and Representatives elected in November 2010 will be sworn in at the beginning of this session in January 2011.

The only members who are sworn in before the next session are those who are elected to fill seats already vacated by the withdrawal, the disability, or the death of their predecessors. I am unaware of any such open seats in either chamber at this time.

Members who announced their intention to retire at the end of the current 111th session -- as well as those defeated in the mid-term elections -- complete their term through the end of 2010. These are the "lame ducks" who return in November to finish up the work of the 111th session. They are not replaced by those elected to their seats until the next session in January 2011.

Last edited by diorgirl; 10-07-2010 at 10:29 AM..

Old 10-07-2010, 10:26 AM

1,828 posts, read 4,655,375 times
Cant say which ones they were talking about on CNN but they implied there were a few that could possibly be seated early.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:30 AM
C.C

2,235 posts, read 2,362,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHGreat View Post
Cant say which ones they were talking about on CNN but they implied there were a few that could possibly be seated early.
I believe it would be IL (Obama) DE (Biden) NY (Clinton) and WV (Byrd)

Old 10-07-2010, 10:38 AM

3,814 posts, read 11,973,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.C View Post
I believe it would be IL (Obama) DE (Biden) NY (Clinton) and WV (Byrd)
These four Senate seats are not vacant and have been filled I believe by appointees. Have all four of the incumbents been appointed to fill the seats only until the elections, or do they serve out the remainder of this session of Congress?

If so, are you aware of appointees in the House who would be replaced in a similar fashion?

Old 10-07-2010, 11:17 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,837,980 times
As far as I know, Byrd's seat WILL be seated early, as the appointee was only until the election. Not sure of the others as they have actually been "replaced" due to political aspirations of the former incumbents.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:20 AM
C.C

Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
These four Senate seats are not vacant and have been filled I believe by appointees. Have all four of the incumbents been appointed to fill the seats only until the elections, or do they serve out the remainder of this session of Congress?

If so, are you aware of appointees in the House who would be replaced in a similar fashion?
State laws cover the scheduling of special elections - obviously it saves money to schedule during a regular cycle. So although Kennedy's MA seat was open for a shorter time than the others, they held the special election last winter. Once the results are certified, I believe the winner always takes the seat at that time, as Scott Brown did. In WV some maneuvering was required to avoid leaving the temp appointee in place for years.

I don't think they usually hold special elections for the House, since the terms are only 2 years. I'm not even sure if there is a temp appointee - was there one for Murtha?

Old 10-07-2010, 11:22 AM
C.C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
As far as I know, Byrd's seat WILL be seated early, as the appointee was only until the election. Not sure of the others as they have actually been "replaced" due to political aspirations of the former incumbents.
Clinton's seat is a special election - she was re-elected in 2006 so the term is until 2012...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies