Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 08:48 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,656,655 times

Advertisements

Who set him up by sending the video in the first place???
Think about it.
Who had this video in the first place, I'm sure he didn't.
Who sent it to him and for what reason if not to set him up and try to start something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 08:53 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,116,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
Think about it.
Who sent it to him and for what reason if not to set him up and try to start something?

Please. Breitbart was not set up.

Think about it.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:53 AM

38,644 posts, read 26,389,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Breitbart offered a lie dressed as the truth. I can't fathom anyone defending it.
NOPE! You don't get to simply ignore that. The point of the video he presented was the reaction of the NAACP members who didn't know anything else about this story other than a white farmer got screwed. Even Jealous offered an apology of sorts.

"Racism is about the abuse of power. Sherrod had it in her position at USDA. According to her remarks, she mistreated a white farmer in need of assistance because of his race.

We are appalled by her actions, just as we are with abuses of power against farmers of color and female farmers.

Her actions were shameful. While she went on to explain in the story that she ultimately realized her mistake, as well as the common predicament of working people of all races, she gave no indication she had attempted to right the wrong she had done to this man.

The reaction from many in the audience is disturbing. We will be looking into the behavior of NAACP representatives at this local event and take any appropriate action.

SHOCK: Racism At NAACP Event? - wcbstv.com (http://wcbstv.com/topstories/tea.party.naacp.2.1812710.html - broken link)

I agree with Mr. Jealous that their reaction is disturbing.

Wouldn't you also agree?

Old 07-22-2010, 08:55 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,492,687 times
Quote:
I'm one generation from appalachia myself. My mother came from dirt poor farmer stock. Strong people, and proud.

My concern, here is the lack of integrity in journalism nowadays that seems to be more and more accepted.
I'm afraid my concern is more complex.

There is an explanation for each and every action/reaction.

It is no one else's concern, only mine--I can accept and rejoice that a Federal employee was able to separate her personal pain and anger and do a better job. In fact if 99% of us were to bare our souls we would probably have similar stories to share. 'Bias/prejudice'--class, race, religion, gender, politics--to truly meet the criteria for Racism--you have to go further.

I worked 'for the government' and as I understood the oath I signed--a condition of my employment was integrity--free of discrimination. If that was my standard at several thousand degrees beneath Shirley Sherrod--I would expect more from her. I am not wildly upset over her remarks to the NAACP--I am somewhat puzzled that she apparently benefited privately from the skill acquired while employed by the government--lawsuit based on 'discrimination'.
Much worse wrongs have been done.
I don't feel Shirley Sherrod deserves more praise or sympathy. Take the offer and get back to work.

Last edited by TakeAhike; 07-22-2010 at 09:09 AM..

Old 07-22-2010, 08:59 AM

37,982 posts, read 22,163,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
Think about it.
The NAACP owned the video, and its not as if Breitbart has all the content of all NAACP videos memorized, so someone must have sent it to him, thinking it was relevant some how. And since the only real relevance was the recent NAACP condemning the TEA Party...

Old 07-22-2010, 09:05 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,433,675 times
Quote:
Please. Breitbart was not set up.

Think about it.
They know that..for the RW, it's just all about concocting excuses, no matter how crazy they sound.

This reminds me somewhat of the "infiltrators" excuse to explain away racist teabagger signs .

How pathetic.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:06 AM

Quote:
I didn't mention the words right and left wing journalism. A lie is a lie, no matter which side it conmes from.

So specifically, what was Breitbart's lie?

Sharrod not a racist?

She worked for an organization in the 1980s that received federal funds and deliberately discriminated against a white farmer. Should she have such a high position, or any position, in the federal government today or ever?

Aren't non-profits which receive federal funds required to treat all people the same regardless of race?

"I was struggling with the fact that so many black people have lost their farmland, and here I was faced with having to help a white person save their land. So, I didn't give him the full force of what I could do. I did enough so that when he -- I -- I assumed the Department of Agriculture had sent him to me, either that or the -- or the Georgia Department of Agriculture. And he needed to go back and report that I did try to help him.So I took him to a white lawyer that we had -- that had...attended some of the training that we had provided, 'cause Chapter 12 bankruptcy had just been enacted for the family farmer. So I figured if I take him to one of them that his own kind would take care of him."

http://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/shirleysherrodnaacpfreedom.htm

"We are appalled by her actions, just as we are with abuses of power against farmers of color and female farmers.

Her actions were shameful. While she went on to explain in the story that she ultimately realized her mistake, as well as the common predicament of working people of all races, she gave no indication she had attempted to right the wrong she had done to this man.

The reaction from many in the audience is disturbing. We will be looking into the behavior of NAACP representatives at this local event and take any appropriate action."

SHOCK: Racism At NAACP Event? - wcbstv.com (http://wcbstv.com/topstories/tea.party.naacp.2.1812710.html - broken link)

Old 07-22-2010, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damie View Post
I could not agree more.

So the approval offered by the NAACP members presnt at the speech is OK?

Old 07-22-2010, 09:13 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,116,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
NOPE! You don't get to simply ignore that. The point of the video he presented was the reaction of the NAACP members who didn't know anything else about this story other than a white farmer got screwed. Even Jealous offered an apology of sorts.

"Racism is about the abuse of power. Sherrod had it in her position at USDA. According to her remarks, she mistreated a white farmer in need of assistance because of his race.

We are appalled by her actions, just as we are with abuses of power against farmers of color and female farmers.

The reaction from many in the audience is disturbing. We will be looking into the behavior of NAACP representatives at this local event and take any appropriate action.

I agree with Mr. Jealous that their reaction is disturbing.

Wouldn't you also agree?

Would you also agree that the fact that an edited video offered as "truth" villifying a woman who is clearly innocent, is wrong? By the way, the white farmer said Ms. Sherrod helped save his farm. see below:

Right the wrong? I beg to differ.

NAACP 'snookered' over video of former USDA employee - CNN.com

"I don't know what brought up the racist mess," Roger Spooner told CNN's "Rick's List." "They just want to stir up some trouble, it sounds to me in my opinion."

Spooner says Sherrod accompanied him and his wife to a lawyer in Americus, Georgia, who was able to help them file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, which ultimately saved their farm.

"If it hadn't been for her, we would've never known who to see or what to do," he said. "She led us right to our success."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Breitbart can offer excuse after excuse on the "why" of what he did, but it boils down to an effort by him to to "get back" at the NAACP for asking the Tea Party to reject the racist fringe that has attached itself to an otherwise legitimate group.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:15 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,659,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
So specifically, what was Breitbart's lie?

Sharrod not a racist?

She worked for an organization in the 1980s that received federal funds and deliberately discriminated against a white farmer. Should she have such a high position, or any position, in the federal government today or ever?

Aren't non-profits which receive federal funds required to treat all people the same regardless of race?

"I was struggling with the fact that so many black people have lost their farmland, and here I was faced with having to help a white person save their land. So, I didn't give him the full force of what I could do. I did enough so that when he -- I -- I assumed the Department of Agriculture had sent him to me, either that or the -- or the Georgia Department of Agriculture. And he needed to go back and report that I did try to help him.So I took him to a white lawyer that we had -- that had...attended some of the training that we had provided, 'cause Chapter 12 bankruptcy had just been enacted for the family farmer. So I figured if I take him to one of them that his own kind would take care of him."

http://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/shirleysherrodnaacpfreedom.htm

"We are appalled by her actions, just as we are with abuses of power against farmers of color and female farmers.

The reaction from many in the audience is disturbing. We will be looking into the behavior of NAACP representatives at this local event and take any appropriate action."

His lie was claiming that as an official of the USDA she was discriminating against white people.

His second lie was claiming that it was about the NAACP and the audience reaction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies