Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 09:16 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,661,252 times

Advertisements

All you people who are arguing so desperately that the teabaggers aren't racist, this is what we're talking about. Breitbart is making a career of fabricating right-wing arguments based on trumped up racial claims, and the teabaggers and you conservatives here are lapping it up.

You defend racists, you attack organizations that are fighting to end racism. What does that make you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 09:18 AM

38,644 posts, read 26,393,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Nope, nice try. It was about the acceptance of the NAACP of what she had to say. The only people taking her out of context was the WH. They fired her without looking at the whole video. The intial video was to show the applauding from the NAACP audience when racial remarks were made.

Here's what she said...

"[SIZE=2]The first time I was faced with having to help a white farmer save his farm, he -- he took a long time talking, but he was trying to show me he was superior to me. I know what he was doing. But he had come to me for help. What he didn't know while he was taking all that time trying to show me he was superior to me, was I was trying to decide just how much help I was going to give him.[/SIZE]
[LEFT][SIZE=2]I was struggling with the fact that so many black people have lost their farmland, and here I was faced with having to help a white person save their land. So, I didn't give him the full force of what I could do. I did enough so that when he -- I -- I assumed the Department of Agriculture had sent him to me, either that or the -- or the Georgia Department of Agriculture. And he needed to go back and report that I did try to help him.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]So I took him to a white lawyer that we had -- that had...attended some of the training that we had provided, 'cause Chapter 12 bankruptcy had just been enacted for the family farmer. So I figured if I take him to one of them that his own kind would take care of him.[/SIZE]

American Rhetoric: Shirley Sherrod - Speech at the NAACP 20th Freedom Fund Banquet

Here's the NAACP's statement...

"We are appalled by her actions, just as we are with abuses of power against farmers of color and female farmers.

Her actions were shameful. While she went on to explain in the story that she ultimately realized her mistake, as well as the common predicament of working people of all races, she gave no indication she had attempted to right the wrong she had done to this man.

The reaction from many in the audience is disturbing. We will be looking into the behavior of NAACP representatives at this local event and take any appropriate action."

SHOCK: Racism At NAACP Event? - wcbstv.com (http://wcbstv.com/topstories/tea.party.naacp.2.1812710.html - broken link)[/LEFT]

Old 07-22-2010, 09:18 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,119,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
His lie was claiming that as an official of the USDA she was discriminating against white people.

His second lie was claiming that it was about the NAACP and the audience reaction.

You are correct, sir. All of his backpedaling and diverting blame will not alter that fact.

Just like Mr. Williams and his letter to Lincoln from the "coloreds". He never apologized, just tried to spin it.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:25 AM

89,059 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
All you people who are arguing so desperately that the teabaggers aren't racist, this is what we're talking about. Breitbart is making a career of fabricating right-wing arguments based on trumped up racial claims, and the teabaggers and you conservatives here are lapping it up.
Sherrod's actions toward the white farmer when she was working for a government funded agency were illegal - no doubt about it. She admitted to the actions. There was no objection to those illegal actions from the NAACP audience. That's a problem.

There's also more going on with Sherrod than just that video. Look at my earlier post...
//www.city-data.com/forum/15147733-post8.html

Old 07-22-2010, 09:26 AM

38,644 posts, read 26,393,631 times
Quote:

You defend racists, you attack organizations that are fighting to end racism. What does that make you?

Nice attempt to deflect attention away from the real issue. The NAACP has manufactured a story about the Tea Party movement that they are ripe with racists. They even issued a statement about the rampant racism in the movement. They have been sitting on this video complete with the shameful approval offered by the NAACP members in attendance of Ms. Sharrod's overt racist acts. That means they were aware of the racists in their own ranks BEFORE they issued their statement on the Tea Party movement and did it anyway.

"We are appalled by her actions, just as we are with abuses of power against farmers of color and female farmers.

Her actions were shameful. While she went on to explain in the story that she ultimately realized her mistake, as well as the common predicament of working people of all races, she gave no indication she had attempted to right the wrong she had done to this man.

The reaction from many in the audience is disturbing. We will be looking into the behavior of NAACP representatives at this local event and take any appropriate action.

We thank those who brought this to our national office's attention, as there are hundreds of local fundraising dinners each year."

SHOCK: Racism At NAACP Event? - wcbstv.com (http://wcbstv.com/topstories/tea.party.naacp.2.1812710.html - broken link)

Old 07-22-2010, 09:28 AM

The NAACP's full statement on Shirley Sherrod can be found here:

NAACP Statement on the Resignation of Shirley Sherrod | Press Room | NAACP

"...Having reviewed the full tape, spoken to Ms. Sherrod, and most importantly heard the testimony of the white farmers mentioned in this story, we now believe the organization that edited the documents did so with the intention of deceiving millions of Americans. I apologized to Ms. Sherrod, clearly a commited and selfless public servant, who had been unfairly maligned.

Moderator cut: Copyright violation -- please post a link and a "snippet" only

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 07-24-2010 at 08:42 AM..

Old 07-22-2010, 09:29 AM

Informed Consent and Momomonkey: The farmer mentioned in her speech says she helped save his farm.

...or did you miss that part?

Old 07-22-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
The NAACP's full statement on Shirley Sherrod can be found here:

NAACP Statement on the Resignation of Shirley Sherrod | Press Room | NAACP

"...Having reviewed the full tape, spoken to Ms. Sherrod, and most importantly heard the testimony of the white farmers mentioned in this story, we now believe the organization that edited the documents did so with the intention of deceiving millions of Americans. I apologized to Ms. Sherrod, clearly a commited and selfless public servant, who had been unfairly maligned.

Moderator cut: Copyright violation -- please post a link and a "snippet" only
I wonder why the NAACP didn't address the crime Sherrod admitted to.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 07-24-2010 at 08:43 AM.. Reason: Edited quoted text

Old 07-22-2010, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I wonder why the NAACP didn't address the crime Sherrod admitted to.

Again, Sherrod helped Mr. Spooner keep his land.

Selective memory?

Old 07-22-2010, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Again, Sherrod helped Mr. Spooner keep his land.

Selective memory?
Perhaps on your part. Sherrod admitted to committing a federal offense.

Do you really want to posit that it's okay to commit a crime as long as it ends well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies