Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2010, 08:57 AM

2,347 posts, read 2,785,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
Gingrich Denounces Ground Zero Mosque

According to Gingrich, "There should be no mosque near Ground Zero in New York so long as there are no churches or synagogues in Saudi Arabia. The time for double standards that allow Islamists to behave aggressively toward us while they demand our weakness and submission is over."

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2010/07/gingrich-denounces-ground-zero-mosque/60244/

GO NEWT !!!!!!
I was too young to understand what was going on in 1998. But since Newty-boy is gearing up to run for president, stuff has come out, I frankly didn't know.

That guy is the world's largest hypocrite. I was amazed that he told his wife to accept the fact he was cheating on her, while giving a speech about Family Values, and then justified that it's not about him, it's about what he says. This was his second wife, and the mistress became his third wife. Then I found out he dumped his first wife who had cancer for his second wife.

This is all while he was going after Bill Clinton.

Anyone, and I mean anyone, who takes Newt Grinch seriously, is just as bad as he is. This man is the scum of the earth and so too are those who support him.
____

But about what he said, we have freedom of Religion in this country. It is the first thing written into the Bill of Rights. It is one of the cornerstones of our American Republic. To compare ourselves to Saudi Arabia is despicable. Who cares what they do? It's sounds as if Newty-boy would turn us into the Christian version of Saudi Arabia. He and anyone who supports him are un-American fascists, who need to be stopped. Our founders created a pluralistic society on purpose. So that no one group could dominate over another. The rights of the minortity are to be cherished, because we are each a minority in some way. We are a free and open, and most of all tolerant society, this is what WE believe in, this is the promise of America, this is why millions and millions of immigrants came and still come here. And the Republicans and Christian Right are waging war on those ideas-they are waging war on the very face of America. The destruction of America-the America promised to us-will be at the hand not of Muslim extremists a world away, but of the Republican Party, the Tea Party and the Christian Right.

Build the mosque and show those Muslim extremists exactly what kind of society we have, build the mosque to show the Christian Right the kind of society we want to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 09:00 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
I was too young to understand what was going on in 1998. But since Newty-boy is gearing up to run for president, stuff has come out, I frankly didn't know.

That guy is the world's largest hypocrite. I was amazed that he told his wife to accept the fact he was cheating on her, while giving a speech about Family Values, and then justified that it's not about him, it's about what he says. This was his second wife, and the mistress became his third wife. Then I found out he dumped his first wife who had cancer for his second wife.

This is all while he was going after Bill Clinton.

Anyone, and I mean anyone, who takes Newt Grinch seriously, is just as bad as he is. This man is the scum of the earth and so too arr those who support him.
____

But about what he said, we have freedom of Religion in this country. It is the first thing written into the Bill of Rights. It is one of the cornerstones of our American Republic. To compare ourselves to Saudi Arabia is despicable. Who cares what they do? It's sounds as if Newty-boy would turn us into the Christian version of Saudi Arabia. He and anyone who supports him are un-American fascists, who need to be stopped. Our founders created a pluralistic society on purpose. So that no one group could dominate over another. The rights of the minortity are to be cherished, because we are each a minority in some way. We are a free and open, and most of tolerant society, this is what WE believe in, this is the promist of America, this is why millions and millions of immigrants came and still come here. And the Republicans and Christian Right are waging war on those ideas to the care, they are waging war on the very face of America. The destruction of America-the America promised to us-will be at the hand not of Muslim extremists a world away, but of the Republican Party, the Tea Party and the Christian Right.

Build the mosque and show those Muslim extremists exactly what kinda of society we have, build the mosque to show the Christian Right the kind of society we want to be.
This is NOT a 1st Amendment arguement. There are hundreds of Mosques in NYC. No one is stopping Muslims from worshiping freely in the USA. Why do you choose to attack the messenger rather than the message? Why do you choose to perpetuate lies that this is about the 1st Amendment when it clearly is not?

Old 08-12-2010, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
This is NOT a 1st Amendment arguement. There are hundreds of Mosques in NYC. No one is stopping Muslims from worshiping freely in the USA. Why do you choose to attack the messenger rather than the message? Why do you choose to perpetuate lies that this is about the 1st Amendment when it clearly is not?
This isn't a have your cake and eat it too moment. If you attack the construction of one house of worship, then you attack ALL houses of worship.

So, yes this is absolutely a freedom to worship issue.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:14 AM

4,814 posts, read 3,844,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
But isn't that a disconnect for someone like you who specifically believes that by virtue of their religion, Muslims cannot possibly be "good people"?
Is a misguided person supposed to be hated? I hate what radical Islam is doing to our world. Do I believe all Muslims want this? No, I do not. Although, the percentage is certainly in question. There is some question as to whether there are two ways to view the Islamic faith. Do I hate carnal, selfish and misguided Christians? No, but I hate their actions, i.e. Protestants and Catholics in Ireland. Same difference.

Quote:
Re the polls--AGAIN--it depends upon the polls and who ran them, and where the New Yorkers are--Manhattan doesn't care about the mosque, for example, Staten Island does, and most important of all, the residents who live in the neighborhood where the mosque will be approved it.
That is true on polling, but, overall, I am finding that more than half (52%) of all New Yorkers are against it, so Manhattan doesn't get the overall say so.

Quote:
Don't get the weird reference to $100 million. Hate to tell you this, but that's not an exhorbitant amount of dollars for NYC construction. Would be a nice sum in MY bank account, but it's not really that much relatively speaking, especially when there's that $9 billion construction job two blocks away...
The main point is that for a healing and building relationship strategy, spending millions of dollars in a place of controversy is a very strange way of going about it. Bottom line.

Quote:
Don't get what point you are trying to make about 100 mosques in the city, either. That's over all five boroughs. There are 3000 churches in Manhattan alone. It doesn't matter to me personally if they build the mosque or not. I'm an Episcopalian so I've already got Trinity Church and St. Paul's by the World Trade Center. I just can't stand seeing this witchhunt mentality.
The point? They have enough mosques in NYC for teaching, healing and building relationships - why do they have to build in the proximity of Ground Zero? Bottom line.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:19 AM

4,814 posts, read 3,844,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
This isn't a have your cake and eat it too moment. If you attack the construction of one house of worship, then you attack ALL houses of worship.

So, yes this is absolutely a freedom to worship issue.
I think if controversy is involved, it can come under question for citizens - no matter the faith. Look at the Waco, Texas Siege - the government put and end to that one, didn't they? Lock, stock and barrel.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
I think if controversy is involved, it can come under question for citizens - no matter the faith. Look at the Waco, Texas Siege - the government put and end to that one, didn't they? Lock, stock and barrel.
Apple and Oranges.

Fine, then to use your logic, the Branch Davidians represent ALL of Christianity, and therefore all Christian are terrorists.

I wouldn't condemn all Christianity over the Branch Davidians, jsut like I wouldn't condemn all Muslims over Al Quada.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:24 AM

915 posts, read 3,181,149 times
I have nothing against the Islam or Muslim whatsoever but building the mosque in that particular site is insensitive. Let not forget, there will be 5 prayers daily broadcast on the speakers around that area. They will be saying "Allah the great" similar thing when the terrorists hit the towers....

It's more like an insults to the victims and the people that actually survived thru it and have live with it. It's more like spiritual divine victory for the terrorists!

Old 08-12-2010, 09:25 AM

915 posts, read 3,181,149 times
I have nothing against the Islam or Muslim whatsoever but building the mosque in that particular site is insensitive. Let not forget, there will be 5 prayers daily broadcast on the speakers around that area. They will be saying "Allah the great" similar thing when the terrorists hit the towers....

It's more like an insults to the victims and the people that actually survived thru it and have live with it. It's more like spiritual divine victory for the terrorists!

Old 08-12-2010, 09:27 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,792,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefAreCoolToo View Post
Far be it from me to dishonor the sacred soil of a former Burlington Coat Factory, but there is already a mosque in that area, about two blocks over.

And Allah (just another name for God) is great, isn't He?

Old 08-12-2010, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefAreCoolToo View Post

Don't you think ther was at least one Muslim in those towers that day? Don't you think at least one police officer, or fire fighter, or EMT was a Muslim?

I bet at least one was.

It is an honour to our American society to show the world the nature of our pluralistic society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies