Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 10:44 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times

Advertisements

1) When teachers held the authority and parents regarded that authority instead of combating it
2) When the Pledge of Allegiance was considered an act of civic duty, not a religious freedom issue
3) When a man and a woman married each other and had a family, in that order
4) When it was expected of you to graduate high school and learn a trade (or go to college) if you wanted live a productive life
5) When a "thank you" was tendered for doing business with someone
6) When Christmas was considered a holiday instead of an atheist stomping ground
7) When buying something meant you had the money to buy it, and the will to reject things you couldn't rightly afford

Those were good days. Liberalism destroyed it all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 10:46 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
The good ol' days were when I was a lad with nary a worry in the world riding my bike around the block with the sprinklers sprinkling the summer lawns and my Mom cooking dinner calling me when it was ready and I would say just another round about the block because the sky above blue the night warm the sun asleep.

Ahhh...
I don't think kids have that anymore. I think they're forced to grow up too fast. Maybe I'm just a worry wart but cynicism in kids so young doesn't seem right to me. I have a feeling we'll hear about it 20yrs from now.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:48 PM

448 posts, read 534,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
1) When teachers held the authority and parents regarded that authority instead of combating it
2) When the Pledge of Allegiance was considered an act of civic duty, not a religious freedom issue
4) When it was expected of you to graduate high school and learn a trade (or go to college) if you wanted live a productive life
6) When Christmas was considered a holiday instead of an atheist stomping ground
7) When buying something meant you had the money to buy it, and the will to reject things you couldn't rightly afford

All so true.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:49 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
Quote:
1)

CON Liberalism destroyed it all.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:01 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,821,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Like I mentioned earlier, I live in a rather 'touristy' area of Coastal California. Gas prices are always higher than usual here
Oh yeah, that'll do it. But the weather is so nice. My favorite vacation was out to see an old buddy of mine that had moved out to Placentia. We had such a good time, the weather was incredible and we rented, IIRC the first model of the Geo Metro, a step up from a gocart. So the price was not that hard for us. This was sometime in the 1990s. I do remember the gas was significantly higher than back home in Dallas.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:51 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:

You realize that the dropout rate was higher in the 1950s than today (mainly because high school dropouts in the '50s could find plenty of work).

And teenage pregnancy rates in the '50s were higher than today (because pregnancy led inevitably to marriage)

Old 07-30-2010, 01:09 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:

#2, and 6 are just YOUR silly issues. Most of the rest fantasy anyway. Well maybe teachers had more power but that's about it. I wouldn't think good old days would include anything that required blind conformity, but I if that's what you like so be it.

Old 07-30-2010, 06:24 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,200,443 times
These wistfull "I wish I could go back" statements are crazy, people don't realize how many things they have now that they take for granted. Going back more than a couple decades from any time would be a serious jolt.

Old 07-30-2010, 06:29 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,200,443 times
Quote:
Heh this could also be written as:

When gays were forced to lead a miserable pretend life to conform to a less open-minded society.

Old 07-30-2010, 06:36 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
Quote:

Would like to amend 6 to add: an opportunity for retailers to profit, and they even waited until Halloween to sell Christmas, er, Holiday, merchandise.

And to 7: It wasn't considered patriotic to live beyond your means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies