Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 09:09 AM

286 posts, read 699,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
1) When teachers held the authority and parents regarded that authority instead of combating it
2) When the Pledge of Allegiance was considered an act of civic duty, not a religious freedom issue
3) When a man and a woman married each other and had a family, in that order
4) When it was expected of you to graduate high school and learn a trade (or go to college) if you wanted live a productive life
5) When a "thank you" was tendered for doing business with someone
6) When Christmas was considered a holiday instead of an atheist stomping ground
7) When buying something meant you had the money to buy it, and the will to reject things you couldn't rightly afford

Those were good days. Liberalism destroyed it all.
1) Yeah, between the bullying, unreported molestation, and generally lousy teaching, yeah, it was much better when teachers had unbridled authority.

2) The Pledge of Allegiance became a religious freedom issue when Christian activists had the words “under god” inserted in 1954. Prior to that, no mention of God was made in the pledge.

3) Teenage pregnancies are at all-time low.

4) Bullsh*t. Highschool graduation rates are higher than ever. Prior to 1964, it was the norm to drop out of highschool.

5) ?

6) Christmas is not an atheist stomping ground. Rather, the government has no business putting on formal, religious holiday displays—whether it’s for Christmas or Ramadan.

7) ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 09:16 AM

286 posts, read 699,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
Right. Graphs can't measure those personal memories, photographs, and milestones so special to the individual. Who wants to be mashed into a statistical image on a page ? I had highs and lows in every moment of my life. Of course, those stored memories help me to cope better now. I don't allow a daily graph from dow Jones to ruin the taste of my coffee. Non - conformists are delightfully stubborn.

Nonsense. Your personal memories and milestones are viewed with rose-colored glasses.

What those graphs tell us is that life generally sucked prior to 1950. It has sucked less every year since.

For example, today someone has their retirement fund diminished. With the government safety net and increased disposable income, they can get by. They may have to get a part-time job and shop at Walmart, but they will be fine.

In 1950, they would be loading up refrigerator with gourmet catfood.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:38 AM

2,673 posts, read 3,249,249 times
Let's see----the good old days.

The 60's: Teachers who refused to discipline the gang of white kids who harassed me daily. My White mom finally told me to beat the ca-ca out of them and then they'd leave me alone. It worked.

Track team try outs: They chose white girls over me, although I was the fastest runner in the grade school. White mom to the rescue: marched up to the school and demanded them to run against me. They did. I left them in dust but still didn't get on track team.

Second grade, 1964: School system begrudgingly allows African American kids to come to school with the rest of us. The city pool can no longer refuse them to swim with us. I remember seeing the first African American kids lined up to get in the pool.

Big brother gets highest score on ACT in the entire school system; places 1st in many art competitions and the HS counselor picks a white girl with lower scores and only honorable mentions in art competition for scholarship. He does get the music scholarship. So naturally talented and so far ahead of everyone else it must have been impossible to find a reason to keep that one from him.

Big brother has best friend killed in Viet-Nam.

Future brother-in-law loses 3 inches of his thigh bone somewhere in Viet-Nam.

1970's: Severe racial riots at my junior high over the course of entire three years. Someone burns two crosses in a field behind the football stadium during one Friday Night Game. More riots. Nixon breaks into Watergate and gets impeached.

1980's: Reagan gets elected and I get broke. Jobs are scarce and the brokest I've ever been for the longest lengths of time was under Reagan. Learned to hate repiglican policies.

90's: Continual improvement. Finish college during Clinton Administration.

00's: Bush gets elected and environmental regulations get shoved under the carpet. Obama gets elected, and Whites become tea partiers. Now all of a sudden they want to 'take their country back'. FT

Old 07-30-2010, 09:55 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,131,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcredux View Post
Nonsense. Your personal memories and milestones are viewed with rose-colored glasses.

What those graphs tell us is that life generally sucked prior to 1950. It has sucked less every year since.

For example, today someone has their retirement fund diminished. With the government safety net and increased disposable income, they can get by. They may have to get a part-time job and shop at Walmart, but they will be fine.

In 1950, they would be loading up refrigerator with gourmet catfood.
Relativity. Learn it. Embrace it. Use it Correctly. Which you have not done here. To say that life "generally sucked" prior to the 50's while simultaneously castigating her memoreis as irrelevant makes you one bad debater.

Total Fail. Try again.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:22 AM

2,039 posts, read 3,280,659 times
I would like to thank the OP for getting this song stuck in my head:

Quote:
Boy, the way Glen Miller played. Songs that made the hit parade.
Guys like us, we had it made. Those were the days.
Didn't need no welfare state. Everybody pulled his weight.
Gee, our old LaSalle ran great. Those were the days.
And you know who you were then, girls were girls and men were men.
Mister, we could use a man like Herbert Hoover again.
People seemed to be content. Fifty dollars paid the rent.
Freaks were in a circus tent. Those were the days.
Take a little Sunday spin, go to watch the Dodgers win.
Have yourself a dandy day that cost you under a fin.
Hair was short and skirts were long. Kate Smith really sold a song.
I don't know just what went wrong. Those Were The Days.

I don't know any other times than the ones I have lived in, when I was younger, and far more care free were the good ole' days for me!

Old 07-30-2010, 10:49 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,783,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I think it's been proved that "the good old days" are whatever time in your life where you had the fewest problems and/or responsibilities. Most people will point to their childhood when they were ignorant of things happening in the world, or when they were teens/young adults and felt invincible, strong, and had everything to look forward to. Age seems to be the thing that creates a "good old days" mentality.
A friend of mine is fond of saying, "History is a Generous Editor."

Old 07-30-2010, 10:51 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,635,477 times
John Oliver Searches for Glenn Beck and Bill O'Reilly's Good Old Days | Indecision Forever | Political Humor, 2010 Election, and Satire Blog | Comedy Central

John Oliver searches for 'The Good Old Days'. Quite funny

Old 07-30-2010, 11:22 AM

2,673 posts, read 3,249,249 times
The good old days was when I had no wrinkles and was twenty pounds lighter. Both knees worked without worry of a 'blow-out'; the lower back didn't have any arthritis; and I could party all night without a hang-over.

I miss the grunge days
I miss the punk days
I miss the 70's when people were open and accepting to most everyone. (they were in my world!!)

I miss all of the above, but am happier in my 50's than I was in my 20's. Just no where near as pretty, LOL.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:31 AM

2,966 posts, read 3,917,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
1) When teachers held the authority and parents regarded that authority instead of combating it
2) When the Pledge of Allegiance was considered an act of civic duty, not a religious freedom issue
3) When a man and a woman married each other and had a family, in that order
4) When it was expected of you to graduate high school and learn a trade (or go to college) if you wanted live a productive life
5) When a "thank you" was tendered for doing business with someone
6) When Christmas was considered a holiday instead of an atheist stomping ground
7) When buying something meant you had the money to buy it, and the will to reject things you couldn't rightly afford

Those were good days. Liberalism destroyed it all.
3. Teen pregnancy rates were higher 50 years ago, so IDK what you're talking about.
4. As were high school dropout rates. I think you meant to say that it was easier to live without a HS diploma or a college degree.
5. It still is..

As for the last part, yeah you're right. Liberals destroyed every good thing in America. Get a grip.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:35 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,131,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
3. Teen pregnancy rates were higher 50 years ago, so IDK what you're talking about.
4. As were high school dropout rates. I think you meant to say that it was easier to live without a HS diploma or a college degree.
5. It still is..

As for the last part, yeah you're right. Liberals destroyed every good thing in America. Get a grip.
You and everyone else who have responded to my post like to stop at that magical 50+ year mark. Why is that? Nothing in my post suggests a timeframe, yet all i'm seeing are stats that reflect the 1950's. Something tells me that the 1950's were a time period in which we can all conclude was a "better" period in this country, but yet you won't admit it so you pull out statistics that suit your agenda.

Again, why stop at the 1950's? Why not reach back as far as you can with statistics and see if those stats jive with your rhetoric? Tell the full story if you're going to tell it at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies