Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 12:10 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Herman View Post
If you want to see which drug is more harmful I recommend you smoke a couple joints the night before you have to work in the morning, then drink a pint of liquor, see which one has a bigger effect on you the next morning, I guarantee it is the liquor. There isn't a worse feeling in the world then being hungover, I haven't drank in a good while, but I still know the score, alcohol is vicious on the body.
Exactly right.

There are no recorded cases of THC overdose, anywhere in the world.

There are loads of recorded cases of alcohol poisoning.

What I find is funny, I argue the exact same points everytime one of these threads pop up. The same people argue the same points, which are proven false. Then the thread falls into obscurity, and no one seems to learn anything.

Such is life I suppose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 12:23 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
They did legalize drugs in Mexico. It didn't work - things are getting more violent.

When was that? Do you have a link?

Old 07-31-2010, 12:25 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
As well as locking up people for non violent "crimes" of growing, selling, and using marijuana. And making Mexican drug cartels more powerful and deadly than ever.

YouTube - FireDogLake.com's Jane Hamsher Discusses Legalizing Marijuana

It really doesn't matter which one is more harmful. That is not the real issue.

The real issue is freedom. We do not need our bloated government telling us what we can eat, drink or smoke.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:25 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
IMO, pot is more harmful because it stays in a person's system longer.

They both are bad.
Yea, that makes alot of sense.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
When was that? Do you have a link?
They legalized small amounts for personal use. The cultivation and sale is still illegal.

And, as has been pointed out, the crime is still high because its illegal in America. The drug trade is where the violence is, and the money is here in the states.

Mexico just legalized small amounts of marijuana - Drug Laws & Prevention - Helium

FOXNews.com - Mexico's Congress Legalizes Drugs for Personal Use - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News

This was in 2006, you're just now hearing about it?

Old 07-31-2010, 12:29 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
I really don't care what is or isn't "bad for you". That's no reason to criminalize anything.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:36 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
Well, from my personal observation, it seems that w/ those I've known who were an addictive personality, who would try EVERYTHING, . . .
A few decades ago, when I was a young nurse, I went to a seminar on drug use/abuse where the drug counselors said that very thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Actually the countries where Marijuana is legal to posses and use, have a lower crime rate than we do.
Please provide some documentation to substantiate that, and remember, correlation does not equal causation.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
A few decades ago, when I was a young nurse, I went to a seminar on drug use/abuse where the drug counselors said that very thing.

Please provide some documentation to substantiate that, and remember, correlation does not equal causation.
Myth: Marijuana Causes Crime. Marijuana users commit more property offenses than nonusers. Under the influence of marijuana, people become irrational, aggressive, and violent.

Fact: Every serious scholar and government commission examining the relationship between marijuana use and crime has reached the same conclusion: marijuana does not cause crime. The vast majority of marijuana users do not commit crimes other than the crime of possessing marijuana. Among marijuana users who do commit crimes, marijuana plays no causal role. Almost all human and animal studies show that marijuana decreases rather than increases aggression.

Fagan, J., et al. “Delinquency and Substance Use Among Inner-City Students.” Journal of Drug Issues 20 (1990): 351-402.
Johnson, L.D., et al. “Drugs and Delinquency: A Search for Causal Connections.” Ed. D.B. Kandel. Longitudinal Research on Drug Use: Empirical Findings and Methodological Issues. New York: John Wiley & Sons, 1978. 137-156.
Goode, E. “Marijuana and Crime.” Marihuana: A Signal of Misunderstanding, Appendix I. National Commission on Marihuana and Drug Abuse Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office, 1972. 447-453.
Abram, K.M. and L.A. Teplin. “Drug Disorder, Mental Illness, and Violence.” Drugs and Violence: Causes, Correlates, and Consequences. Rockville: National Institute on Drug Abuse, 1990. 222-238.
Cherek, D.R., et al. “Acute Effects of Marijuana Smoking on Aggressive, Escape and Point-Maintained Responding of Male Drug Users.” Psychopharmacology 111 (1993): 163-168.
Tinklenberg, J.R., et al. “Drugs and criminal assaults by adolescents: A Replication Study.” Journal of Psychoactive Drugs 13 (1981): 277-287.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:46 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Wrong,

Over the years there have been multiple studies indicating the potential of cannabinoids across a wide range of conditions. This latest study provides further weight as to the therapeutic potential of cannabinoids. It is high time that the public was made aware of the considerable therapeutic potential of these compounds. As for the psychosis\schizophrenia risk, that has been too much overblown and the risk is virtually negligible post 21 years of age. The reasons for this therapeutic potential are:

The two principal cannabinoids, THC and cannabidiol, have very strong antioxidant capacity.
These two compounds are lipophilic, that is lipid soluble, hence will remain in the body for extended periods. For pot smokers, typical wash out periods are 90% after one week, though this can greatly vary.
Both of these compounds target specific receptors. THC will target CB1 and to a lesser extent CB2(controversial), while cannabidiol is very specific for CB2 and hence is non-psychoactive.
Both compounds will bind to the anion site of ACHe, an enzyme that breaks down acetylcholine. This neurotransmitter is markedly reduced in some dementias, particularly Alzheimers.
ACHe is also strongly implicated in amyloid production, both cannabinoids reduce the production of amyloid, an early step in Alzheimers because this production seems contingent on the anion site.
Activation of the CB2 receptor limits the expression of pro-inflammatory cytokines, excess production of these cytokines being implicated in everything from atherosclerosis to cancer to dementia.

Healthy Curiousity: Marijuana and Dementia
Wrong? It sounds to me like you have taken the words of questionable sources over some rather highly respected sources who I think do some real good although you don't like what they say about your drug of choice. You are a user of pot, aren't you?

Old 07-31-2010, 12:47 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Myth: Marijuana Causes Crime. Marijuana users commit more property offenses than nonusers. Under the influence of marijuana, people become irrational, aggressive, and violent.

Fact: Every serious scholar and government commission examining the relationship between marijuana use and crime has reached the same conclusion: marijuana does not cause crime. The vast majority of marijuana users do not commit crimes other than the crime of possessing marijuana. Among marijuana users who do commit crimes, marijuana plays no causal role. Almost all human and animal studies show that marijuana decreases rather than increases aggression.

Fagan, J., et al. “Delinquency and Substance Use Among Inner-City Students.” Journal of Drug Issues 20 (1990): 351-402.
Johnson, L.D., et al. “Drugs and Delinquency: A Search for Causal Connections.” Ed. D.B. Kandel. Longitudinal Research on Drug Use: Empirical Findings and Methodological Issues. New York: John Wiley & Sons, 1978. 137-156.
Goode, E. “Marijuana and Crime.” Marihuana: A Signal of Misunderstanding, Appendix I. National Commission on Marihuana and Drug Abuse Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office, 1972. 447-453.
Abram, K.M. and L.A. Teplin. “Drug Disorder, Mental Illness, and Violence.” Drugs and Violence: Causes, Correlates, and Consequences. Rockville: National Institute on Drug Abuse, 1990. 222-238.
Cherek, D.R., et al. “Acute Effects of Marijuana Smoking on Aggressive, Escape and Point-Maintained Responding of Male Drug Users.” Psychopharmacology 111 (1993): 163-168.
Tinklenberg, J.R., et al. “Drugs and criminal assaults by adolescents: A Replication Study.” Journal of Psychoactive Drugs 13 (1981): 277-287.
I was asking for documenation about lower crime rates in areas that have legalized marijuana, though I think it could be difficult to prove that the status of mj has anything to do with the crime rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies