Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 07:35 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,559,257 times

Advertisements

the reason there is a term "African American" is because most blacks who were descendants of slaves in the US have no clue to their own personal history which is a shocking tragedy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 07:39 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,534,073 times
If they are in another country, but were born in the US - they still qualify as to be African Americans. An African from Africa is just that - African.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:47 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,301,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAB6120 View Post
I was born in Jamaica, immigrated to U.S. in 1987, there is a certain disdain for some Black Americans from other Black immigrants-due to the fact that many of us came here from harsh conditions in our own countries to make a better life and we see all the opportunities that's available to Black Americans that aren't being utilized. There is a lot of back and forth blame between Whites and Blacks in this country-most 1st generation immigrants dont care to be involved in that mess-we just want a better life. Ignorant people group all Black Americans into one category, people are individuals.

As for what "African Americans" are called in other countries-I know we called them foreigners-if we did not know what countries they came from. We would call them by thier countries name if we knew where they came from ex-Americans, Canadians etc. Before I became a naturalized citizen, I preferred to be called Jamaican but was also ok with Black American but ideally I wish we were all just considered to be Americans.

This man has pride being just an America. He sounds like someone I would like to know. Good for you.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:57 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
When I resided in Germany, the locals referred to them as "your blacks" with a definite hiss and a trace of sneer. In German they were sometimes a bit harsher.

More than a few of the Maidels fancied them though.

Last edited by Moth; 08-06-2010 at 09:01 AM..

Old 08-06-2010, 08:56 AM

1,309 posts, read 1,362,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudvoterofObama View Post
If they are in another country, but were born in the US - they still qualify as to be African Americans. An African from Africa is just that - African.
but an American born in America is an African American?

More separation, more disintegration of the American.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:03 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
Are black people in Africa "African Americans" if they have never been outside of Africa?

wow.

no, people born in Africa are not "Americans".

Old 08-06-2010, 09:06 AM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
They are black...like they are here.

PC types felt the need to make up a new name.
Exactly.

The PC busy-bodies felt the need to divide people up into smaller and smaller groups, pit people against each other, inflame racial tensions, and place themselves in the middle as the saintly arbiters. Its how some people make themselves feel important, and needed.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:08 AM

1,309 posts, read 1,362,031 times
Quote:
I was born in Jamaica, immigrated to U.S. in 1987, there is a certain disdain for some Black Americans from other Black immigrants-due to the fact that many of us came here from harsh conditions in our own countries to make a better life and we see all the opportunities that's available to Black Americans that aren't being utilized. There is a lot of back and forth blame between Whites and Blacks in this country-most 1st generation immigrants dont care to be involved in that mess-we just want a better life. Ignorant people group all Black Americans into one category, people are individuals.

As for what "African Americans" are called in other countries-I know we called them foreigners-if we did not know what countries they came from. We would call them by thier countries name if we knew where they came from ex-Americans, Canadians etc. Before I became a naturalized citizen, I preferred to be called Jamaican but was also ok with Black American but ideally I wish we were all just considered to be Americans.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:26 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:

well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
I'm black....I don't identify with the label African American.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Exactly.

The PC busy-bodies felt the need to divide people up into smaller and smaller groups, pit people against each other, inflame racial tensions, and place themselves in the middle as the saintly arbiters. Its how some people make themselves feel important, and needed.
as long as we continue to divide people based on where their ancestors came from, we will never get over the many issues facing this country. and what do you do with people like me whos ancestors came from a variety of places? my ancestors were german, norweigen, french, irish, scot, hispanic, apache and/or cherokee. so am i am mongrel-american? no i am an american just like everyone else who was born here. i do not have a dual citizenship, just like the vast majority of black people do not have a dual citizenship since they were also born here, to parents that were born here. in reality only those with a dual citizenship can call themselves a hyphonated american. for instance goerge hw bush was knighted by the queen of england, and that bestows upon him british citizenship, thus he can call himself a british-american. or arnold shwartzenagger who did not have to renounce his austrian citizenship when he became an american citizen, thus he is rightly called an austrian-american.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:32 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,776,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
I'm black....I don't identify with the label African American.
Ditto!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies