Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 10:04 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
I'd recommend reading the actual bill summary.
OK, I read your summary and I kept seeing the words about the Secretary of HHS, Kathleen Sebelius, and the powers she has in the area of food and everything to do with it. After I read the post after yours I couldn't help wondering if her expanded powers could have something to do with some of the NWO and Agenda 21 news that too many of us are seeing.

I do know that while Ms. Sebelius was my governor she attended at least two Bilderberg meetings and I always wondered just how a Governor of Kansas could be invited to one of those things. I know about here background in many things because of our nearness in the small population state and wonder about her along with the Secretary of DHS, Napolitano, being in such positions of power. One of these women is so purely political (Sebelius) that it makes me sick and the other refuses to even consider closing our southern border.

Lots of hanky panky is going on and these two people are heavily involved in too much of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
Why do nuts just love to lie about what's in bills? Seriously, it's like they think people can't look up what is actually in the bill and then compare it to their panicked raving conspiracy theory. Grow up.

Best of all he linked to a site which says it is about "the new world order" and "prophecies". LOL!
Do you believe that that NWO is an advanced part of the Democrat Party? If so just keep on in your ill informed beliefs.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
What happened to the whole "illegal to grow food" thing?
I guess I have been spending too much time reading on Agenda 21 sites like that of ICLEI and seeing too many things there that tie in with this law. I can see some very fishy connections here and when I look at the maps of the US and what all parts of the country are to be used for from Agenda 21 I have to wonder just who is right or wrong here. It could be you, but then I shouldn't say things like that.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen811 View Post
??

Only the very rich can afford the good food even more so than now, if this thing goes through.
This has the sound of that old movie, SOYLENT GREEN, where the wealthy and bureaucrats could have all kinds of foods and the rest of the people got what they were given to eat. Maybe the people who made that movie are involved in the UN and Agenda 21.

Hang in there, because these people making the noises against you are just a bunch of progs trying to protect what could be happening.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen811 View Post
?? not my story but the article.:P

I am just presenting it. You can no longer barter have local farm markets without even more intrusion and red tape. Heirloom seed farms and such might as well be wiped out because they would not let it go by without being mandated to use what gov says to use like using genetically engineered pesticide type seeds. Or to use pesticides on the food when they don't need to be.

Also I did not change my story. Only the very rich can afford the good food even more so than now, if this thing goes through.

Prices will skyrocket even more with this red tape being passed. Let consumer agencies formed from the public deal with this. I cannot trust the corrupt gov with my food.

By the way I am just responding to the summary you presented now. MY op is in response to the article I read. So you dont need to try to bait me.

I am sorry but FDA is corrupt. One of the organizations that should be abolished. After reading your summary it seems to give a lot more power to them. If the FDA was any good they would have banned hormone use on cows by now. It makes cows unhealthy to eat. Remember the term you are what you eat? Also to be organic food it does not need to be 100% only 95% or something like that. BS.

By the way Federal gov can regulate interstate commerce not food commerce in states. Also I would say congress should have not been given that power because they abuse it too much like now.

Eminent domain clause etc etc because of this interstate commerce clause causing so much grief.

"illegal to grow, share, trade and sell homegrown food."
that was the title of the article. Maybe I should just change my topic title.:P

Ahem where will you buy the good seeds from now if they regulate them out of existence? They will be even more expensive.
I only stated that it is like the Patriot act not illegal but severely regulated so that it will become so expensive it becomes a burden.

I never said anything that it was illegal inside my post if you bothered to read it. You probably didn't read my post and only read the title though. Too bad.

I just found the article and decided to post it since no one else found it yet. But this is something that Glenn Beck and co would say so it is a bit too extreme. But it will increase food/seed costs by a lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I agree. Safe food is really an attack on our freedom and must be stopped. What you don't know won't hurt you. We should have the right to have poison food!! Demand your right to poison food!!
I wonder how many Senators have read that entire bill. I would say that if they read it it must have been in spare time from reading one of the 2000+ page ones that they keep getting bombarded with. Did the poster mention that we have been ingesting poisons for some time now or did I dream that?

Old 08-11-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
H.R. 2749 - Summary: Food Safety Enhancement Act of 2009 (GovTrack.us)

Looks like #104 of that bill might have an adverse effect on what can be sold at Farmer Markets.
If they define those conditions to be the same as big-ag then the small mom&pop farmers that do the weekend Farmer Markets might get put out of business.
For the other entries in the bill, farms are exempt and the items apply to food industry groups. I don't see any exemptions in 104 though.

I sell eggs directly from my home. It's not a full time business but just that I have more eggs than we can eat so I sell the extra 2-3 dozen I get each week.
I might be breaking the below law since I don't know the safety standards. I eat the eggs and I ain't dead yet so I must be doing something right
Also sell some extra veggies I grow (onions and tomatoes).

Section 104 -
Deems a food to be adulterated if it has been grown, harvested, processed, packed, sorted, transported, or held under conditions that do not meet safety standards for raw agricultural commodities. Requires the Secretary to establish scientific and risk-based food safety standards for the growing, harvesting, packing, sorting, transporting, and holding of raw agricultural commodities: (1) that are a fruit, vegetable, nut, or fungus; and (2) for which the Secretary has determined that such standards are reasonably necessary to minimize the risk of serious adverse health consequences or death to humans or animals. Requires the Secretary to provide for effective implementation of education and compliance activities. Requires the Secretary to update existing guidance related to minimizing microbial food safety hazards for fresh fruits and vegetables.
I prefer to buy my sweet corn from local farmers over what we get in the food store. Many other foods are sold at farmers markets that it appears Secretary Sebelius could shut down quite easily with that part of the law at hand.

You aren't supposed to offer up such questionable things when libs are off and running, though.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Summary of bill is found here.

Text of the bill is found here.

It sounds like it's trying to deal with e-coli and other toxic foods issues seen in recent years.

I'm tired of the Bush-era non-performance on food safety. I got sick on spinach that was tainted with e-coli. The Bush mis-administration response to tainted hamburger meat was to tell us to cook the crap out of it (LITERALLY!) so it's safe to eat. Wonderful. Now it's OUR fault if we get sick on tainted meat because we haven't burned it beyond recognition before gnawing on it. Swell.

Can the OP enlighten us as to what's the matter with the bill?

Keep you DEM card.
May I suggest that you read post # 15 in this thread to see some of what is wrong with this bill. Of course, the poster is not a dyed in the wool lib but he is usually pretty down to earth with truth. Read it and then realize that you maybe haven't read the whole bill either.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It's more unfortunate that Americans felt they had to choose one or the other.

I didn't vote for the "less worse". I voted my conscience and didn't care when folks told me I threw away my vote. I didn't throw away anything.

Seems that those that voted for the "least worst" threw away not only their votes but much more.
I voted for the one I considered least dangerous in 2008 but we lost and look where we are now.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:40 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,792,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
This has the sound of that old movie, SOYLENT GREEN
Spoiler Alert: It's people.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:46 AM

Sarah Palin and Glenn Beck I know are faking it. But these people have their uses and information sometimes so listen a bit and try to find real truth then ignore the
m.

I have been supporting you up to now but when you say things like this about these two people, you lose my support completely. Have you determined a lot of that real truth about the things that Beck says? I doubt it but then . . . . . . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies