Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 02:49 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,810,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Topic View Post
Con job, just like the con job they pulled on evangelicals for years until they wised up. You think the power brokers of the GOP aren't laughing their tails off at the libertarians and tea party when they are behind closed doors? Heck, sometimes they even slip up and do it in public, like the GOP candidate who complained about the birthers when he didn't know a mike was on.

If you want to know how committed to libertarian philosophy, all you have to do is look at how the ran the budget when they were almost totally in charge for 6 years.
you are not a Republican and have no idea how we think, whether we are voters or elected officials...

NIta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 02:50 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,512,766 times
I aways liked what Ross Perot said when he ran, basically "I want the Democrats out of my wallet and the Republicans out of my bedroom". That sort of sums it up. Whether either side will ever change, I sort of doubt because that would mean LESS government.

Old 08-08-2010, 02:55 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,510,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjongalt View Post
It seems most Republicans running for office can't run from the Neo-con's and onto the "Libertarian-light" bandwagon fast enough, but I'm pretty suspicious of most of them with the possible exception of Rand Paul. Suddenly they are all about reducing government and cutting spending. They seem to not even want to discuss most social issues (legalizing drugs, gays in the military, the Patriot Act, etc.) if they don't have to with the exception of abortion. Is their newfound "conservatism" a complete act?

Well, when Democrats were running in 2006 they were saying things like lets get out of the war, reduce the deficit/debt, overthrow the Patriot Act, provide "free" healthcare for everyone.

What have they done: Increased the number of troops in Afghanistan, increased the deficit/debt, supported the Patriot Act and made health care more expensive.

I'm sure I could go on with dozens of other examples of what dems said and what dems are doing.

That should answer your question about republicans today.

Old 08-08-2010, 03:03 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,406,129 times
They aren't becoming more Libertarian on issues that I care about. The whole "less taxes, less government" thing has been their montra for a long time. Well, until they are in power that is.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:47 PM

571 posts, read 944,055 times
My grandfather is an 92 year old libertarian who has been an Independent since the days of the Depression. I remember asking him two years ago if he'll vote for McCain or Obama.

He said: "Now, I've been around for a while, and have decided that, since the 80's, choosing between the Democrats and the Republicans is like choosing between having your leg slowly chewed off by an alligator, or being shot in the face point-blank. The Republicans will shoot you in the face. The Democrats will sit back and say that the alligator doesn't- hey, is your grandmother making cinnamon rolls again?"

I don't know what that metaphor means, but I think he was getting at the fact that both parties suck, just in different ways.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:57 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,487,989 times
Quote:
It seems most Republicans running for office can't run from the Neo-con's and onto the "Libertarian-light" bandwagon fast enough, but I'm pretty suspicious of most of them with the possible exception of Rand Paul. Suddenly they are all about reducing government and cutting spending. They seem to not even want to discuss most social issues (legalizing drugs, gays in the military, the Patriot Act, etc.) if they don't have to with the exception of abortion. Is their newfound "conservatism" a complete act?
Yes, it is a complete act. And Rand Paul is as much of an asswipe as the rest of them. The man basically apologized to BP for the fact that our shore and wildlife got in the way of their oil well. If that is an example of "libertarianism" then it no longer has any reputable defenders.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:35 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,370,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UntamedOhioan View Post
My grandfather is an 92 year old libertarian who has been an Independent since the days of the Depression. I remember asking him two years ago if he'll vote for McCain or Obama.

He said: "Now, I've been around for a while, and have decided that, since the 80's, choosing between the Democrats and the Republicans is like choosing between having your leg slowly chewed off by an alligator, or being shot in the face point-blank. The Republicans will shoot you in the face. The Democrats will sit back and say that the alligator doesn't- hey, is your grandmother making cinnamon rolls again?"

I don't know what that metaphor means, but I think he was getting at the fact that both parties suck, just in different ways.
Your grandfather has some wisdom and sounds like he is a interesting character,thanks for sharing that story. I agree with him that both parties suck and who does not like Cinnamon rolls.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:48 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,025,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UntamedOhioan View Post

You got it right Sounds like you have a very wise grandfather.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:50 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,794,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you are not a Republican and have no idea how we think, whether we are voters or elected officials...

NIta
I'm basing my opinion on numerous news stories where evangelicals and Republican officials said they were just stringing the evangelicals along. That's pretty much established, with regard to much of the GOP power structure.

As to their sudden conversion to Libertarianism also being a "con" (although I think that's a poor choice of words) my opinion is based on several recent news stories where GOP candidates let it slip that they think the tea party is just as nuts as the Dems think they are, but that they are playing along with them to get elected. It's also based on how they ran the budget when they were in total control, which I think we all agree was about as far from Libertarianism as you can get.

So while I am not a Republican and don't think every single Republican is stringing them along, it is based on published news reports from enough sources for me to form an opinion that it is true with the majority of them. And I am more than willing to admit it is just an opinion in general and does not apply to every single member of the GOP.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:51 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,025,105 times
Quote:
Rand Paul is a Republican - don't confuse yourself.
I'm very tired of the Republicans and/or Palin Tea party
movement trying to get on our wagon. A Big KICK/KISS
OFF It's a con.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies