Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 09:52 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,507,013 times

Advertisements

It seems most Republicans running for office can't run from the Neo-con's and onto the "Libertarian-light" bandwagon fast enough, but I'm pretty suspicious of most of them with the possible exception of Rand Paul. Suddenly they are all about reducing government and cutting spending. They seem to not even want to discuss most social issues (legalizing drugs, gays in the military, the Patriot Act, etc.) if they don't have to with the exception of abortion. Is their newfound "conservatism" a complete act?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2010, 10:28 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjongalt View Post
It seems most Republicans running for office can't run from the Neo-con's and onto the "Libertarian-light" bandwagon fast enough, but I'm pretty suspicious of most of them with the possible exception of Rand Paul. Suddenly they are all about reducing government and cutting spending. They seem to not even want to discuss most social issues (legalizing drugs, gays in the military, the Patriot Act, etc.) if they don't have to with the exception of abortion. Is their newfound "conservatism" a complete act?
Both parties come off as more libertarian friendly once out of power.

When they're in power it's a different story.

Old 08-07-2010, 11:04 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Con job.

Those big corporate backers and the bankers would NEVER go for libertarian policies.

Old 08-07-2010, 11:27 PM

129 posts, read 191,528 times
I sure as hell hope so. And if you didn't notice, those large corporate backers largely supported the Obama campaign last time around. For the good of the country we need a truly libertarian party; the democrats can have all the corporate shills.

Plus there's always been a large libertarian chunk in the GOP even if the neo-cons and social-cons have had most of the control lately in the party. A lot of people right off Ron Paul's chances to win the nomination but they must be forgetting that Pat Buchanan did win in NH less than fifteen years ago.

Old 08-07-2010, 11:59 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times
Republicans are becoming less libertarian. What the heck have you been smoking? If you are a Republican, you better support the tea party and denounce gay rights and abortion otherwise you have no chance of winning. The libertarians were the Reagan Republicans. When Bush took office, he forced many of the libertarians to support the Democrats because he allowed the Christian Right to take a strangle hold of the Republicans and impose their backward sense of moral values into the party that embraced Right wing Evangelical zealotry.

Old 08-08-2010, 12:01 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Con job.

Those big corporate backers and the bankers would NEVER go for libertarian policies.
The corporate backers are libertarians that vote Republican to save on taxes. The Wall Street Republicans are not neocon social conservatives. They only tolerate it because they would rather keep their money rather than deal with a Democrat who taxes them too much.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 08-08-2010 at 12:27 AM.. Reason: Please discuss the topic, not each other.

Old 08-08-2010, 01:15 AM

250 posts, read 379,348 times
Quote:
Whatever gets the votes, but that goes for both parties. Why doesn't anyone ever see that?

Old 08-08-2010, 01:29 AM

3,804 posts, read 6,169,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
The corporate backers are libertarians that vote Republican to save on taxes. The Wall Street Republicans are not neocon social conservatives. They only tolerate it because they would rather keep their money rather than deal with a Democrat who taxes them too much.
Most corporate execs are Dems. They got theirs so they don't care about screwing anyone trying to fight past all the taxes so they can accumulate wealth. Same as the entertainment libs except the corporate execs have to deal with reality while on the job whereas the entertainment types live in fantasyland at work and in the voting booth.

Most of the Republican base outside the northeast are basically libertarians except for their views on drugs, and it has been for a long time. The problem is in the primaries they vote for way too many country club types like McCain and Graham. These folks are basically the same as conservative Democrats in that when push comes to shove they'll usually side with the liberals.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:19 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
I can't speak for the candidates themselves, but I personally am closer to a libertarian than a conservative Republican..

I think the Libatarian motto should be: "I don't give a ---- about what you do with your life, just stay out of mine".

As long as I am not paying for your choices, do not have to see my hard earned money go to taxes to support those who choose not to support them selves and people live their lives without breaking the law or hurting others, I can live very happily.

Does this mean no government? Of course not, but they don't have to be in my face with everything from telling me what I can and can not eat to telling me I should support illegals, people on welfare and pay for everyone elses health maintainance.

Yes, many of us might be considered libatarians by your standards. We don't think government and certainly do not vote for a President based on things like his/her stand on pot or stand on gay marriage. At least I don't vote for a President based on those things. I do vote for the person based on how much he/she thinks the government should pay for certain things. I would never vote for a Pres that wants the government to pay for abortions for instance, nor one who thinks Illigals have rights in our country.

Now, off my soap box for today.

Nita

Old 08-08-2010, 10:36 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,790,369 times
Con job, just like the con job they pulled on evangelicals for years until they wised up. You think the power brokers of the GOP aren't laughing their tails off at the libertarians and tea party when they are behind closed doors? Heck, sometimes they even slip up and do it in public, like the GOP candidate who complained about the birthers when he didn't know a mike was on.

If you want to know how committed to libertarian philosophy, all you have to do is look at how the ran the budget when they were almost totally in charge for 6 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies