Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 08:14 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
No more nuts than believing you have to have " two parents, one mother, one father, to raise children properly"...My mother died when I was in my teens, my siblings were even younger, but my father brought us all up just fine. It all depends upon the individual or individuals.

This BS about needing two heterosexual parents to raise good children, is just that...BS.
No one is saying "you have to have this or that" we are talking about choosing to have a child without having 2 parents. This is a totally different situation. One of my best friends lost her mother during child birth. Not her birth, but a subsequent birth. My friend wanted to quit school (she was 14 and there were 9 kids in the family) her dad said no. She happened to be the oldest girl. Dad managed to raise all the kids (back in the 40s) they all turned out to be happy, well adjusted adults and financually successful. Of course it can be done.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudvoterofObama View Post
He just turned 4 - He started pre-k at 3. Here, in Oklahoma, Kindergarten doesn't start until age 5. He does go to a private school as well. It's actually a really good one. He can write his name and numbers 1-15. I'm impressed.
That isn't quite the way you put it. Yes, I know about the OK school laws. Our granddaughter lives in OK. Glad you are so impressed. I am sure he is a bright and happy child. But your comment about starting kindergarten at 3 (or barely 4) was a little exaggerated.

Nita

Old 08-13-2010, 08:38 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,535,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
That isn't quite the way you put it. Yes, I know about the OK school laws. Our granddaughter lives in OK. Glad you are so impressed. I am sure he is a bright and happy child. But your comment about starting kindergarten at 3 (or barely 4) was a little exaggerated.

Nita
Not really. He started pre-k at age 3 right after his b-day and kindergarten at age 3 right before his 4th b-day. How did I exaggerate that?

Old 08-13-2010, 10:16 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,445,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
O'Reilly is SUCH a hypocritical buffoon!

Here he is griping at Ms Anniston about a movie role, while he wants everyone watching Fox to conveniently forget about his sexual perversions with Andrea Mackris. As many may not recall, O'Reilly settled the sexual harrassment suit out of court, costing Fox millions.

Yeah, yo go, Bill. You're America's morals guy, for certain.

Fox News Channel's Bill O'Reilly said Thursday he and a former producer of his talk show have agreed to settle their legal dispute over her allegations of sexual harassment, and his accusations that she was trying to shake him down.

"This brutal ordeal is now officially over, and I will never speak of it again," he said on his talk show, "The O'Reilly Factor."

Andrea Mackris, 33, who was a producer on the show, filed a lawsuit against the top-rated TV host Oct. 13, alleging O'Reilly made a series of explicit phone calls to her, advised her to use a vibrator and told her about sexual fantasies involving her.

O'Reilly Settles Sex Harass Suit - CBS News

Of course, he might do better against Jennifer Anniston, because when he tried to take on MSNBC's Rachel Maddow last week, he got his butt handed to him.

YouTube - Rachel Maddow Responds To Bill O'Reilly's Attacks - 08/06/10

O'Reilly is a moral and intellectual toadstool.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:22 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,618,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
single mothers, homosexual marriage, the schools, TV, OMG we're ruining society!!!
why can't we just go back to the days where women stayed in abusive relationships and put makup on their bruises, and homosexuals stayed in the closet and married, the schools followed church teachings, tv was leave it to beaver, and everything improper was swept under the rug as if it didn't exist?? LETS have those days again...

you can't legislate morality.. but you can talk sh*t about people and what they do.. unfortunately today nobody cares what your self righteous opinion is anymore...

why can't you accurately represent the opposition's argument instead of using a strawman caricature?

Simply put, it's well-documented that a lot of society's problems coincide with single-parent households. I'm sure a lot of that is due to the deadbeat baby daddy's not taking responsibility, but some of it is due to women that choose to be single mothers.

Old 08-13-2010, 01:53 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
Quote:
I never said all kids from broken families end up doctors, lawyers, etc. But, what I am saying is that it's really hard for me to hear stereotype "kids from broken families" as being criminals, dead beats, lazy, losers, etc. My parents split when I was young, and they both remarried soon thereafter. So, it's always been my mom and s-dad and my dad and s-mom. That's normal to me, and it works for me. I think I turned out alright - Yes, I did get pregnant at a young age. However, I didn't do it on purpose, we did use protection and I was on BC. I looked at it as "**** happens" and while I am pro-choice, I don't think I could ever personally have an abortion. So, I had my son, was forced (not lying) into a marriage I didn't want and now that I'm divorced and a single mom I really couldn't be happier.
again though you had two parents that cared for your, even though they were separated and remarried. i would imagine also that your step parents were also caring for you as if you were their own. and i also agree that not all children of single parent families grow up bad, and not all children with two parents grow up good.

Quote:
Also, there are kids that come from two parent homes who turn out to be said sterotypes I mentioned before. I know A LOT of rich kids who do nothing but get high on the weekends and live with their parents - in their late 20's early 30's. How pathetic.
yeah rich kids can be royal pains if they are spoiled at a young age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
No more nuts than believing you have to have " two parents, one mother, one father, to raise children properly"...My mother died when I was in my teens, my siblings were even younger, but my father brought us all up just fine. It all depends upon the individual or individuals.

This BS about needing two heterosexual parents to raise good children, is just that...BS.
you were in your teems when your mother died, i feel for you for your loss, but by the time you hit your teen years, you were essentially grown up, and getting ready to get out on your own. in regards to your younger siblings, i would bet that YOU stepped up to the plate and helped your father raise them properly by giving them proper direction that you were given when you were younger when your father was not around. and you did this either directly or by example. either way you took over part of the role of being a second parent to your siblings.

Old 08-14-2010, 04:42 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,380,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and I think your views are selfish.
Nita
I didn't read the rest of your post because I got stuck on the first sentence here...exactly which is my views do you find selfish because I didn't post any...

Old 08-14-2010, 05:06 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,927,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
why can't you accurately represent the opposition's argument instead of using a strawman caricature?

Simply put, it's well-documented that a lot of society's problems coincide with single-parent households. I'm sure a lot of that is due to the deadbeat baby daddy's not taking responsibility, but some of it is due to women that choose to be single mothers.
I grew up in a single parent household from the age of 9. But my dad wasn't a deadbeat. He was just dead. No doubt that was your God's idea of a joke.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:01 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I grew up in a single parent household from the age of 9. But my dad wasn't a deadbeat. He was just dead. No doubt that was your God's idea of a joke.
sad that your father died when you were a young age, but dont blame god for mans use of free will.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
you are taking this too personally. NO one ever would suggest it was Gods idea of a joke or anything else. THe poster was simply saying, which has been proven, kids raised in single parent households have more problems. This is a generalization, doesn't mean "all kids" and doesn't mean automatically a single parent can not do a good job. The subject here, which has gotten totally off base refers to a women who decides she wants to be a mom, but doesn't feel a man in the family is necessary. That, in my opinon, is thinking of herself, not the overall development of her child.

nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies