Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 12:21 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
you can't have a gay judge legislating from the bench about this subject.
So only heterosexuals can tell homosexuals how to live?

How would you like that the other way around?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 12:25 PM

3,153 posts, read 3,594,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
CNN poll conducted 08/06/10-08/10/10:
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/im.../11/rel11a.pdf

An article by Nate Silver graphing polls for support of same-sex marriage, showing it shifting from roughly 25% in 1994 to roughly 50% today:
FiveThirtyEight: Politics Done Right: Opinion on Same-Sex Marriage Appears to Shift at Accelerated Pace

The inexorable trend is very clear to anyone willing to look at the data.
Not really...the poll was on acceptance of gay marriage..ask them if they ask the gay lifestyle as normal and you will get an entirely different answer....

Nice try...

Old 08-13-2010, 12:42 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,174,412 times
I now detest the Mormon religion more than I dislike every other religion. Back in 2008 when prop 8 shed it's light right around Election day, I was a senior in high school, and there was a group of mormons who went bat sh*t crazy posting flyers, asking for donations, protesting on street corners against gay marriage. It made me sick. I wanted to punch them in the face even though a majority of them were girls, I still wanted to punch them and then they were giving out little cards for that big mormon temple here. They gave it to me and I ripped it in half right in front of their face. I understand people have their own beliefs but they crossed the line. That was just hate. Plus the mormons are known for polygamy so they certainly shouldn't be preaching about marriage.

Another dumb argument is when people found out Prop 8 was overturned they said "It's not fair to overturn something that a majority of voters were for." Civil rights should never be voted on. if we had voted on slavery and blacks back in the day, I'm sure it would have lasted much longer than it actually did. I find it ignorant that a majority should be allowed to vote on a minority. Just rediculous.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:48 PM

396 posts, read 732,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdavid002 View Post
Not really...the poll was on acceptance of gay marriage..ask them if they ask the gay lifestyle as normal and you will get an entirely different answer....

Nice try...
How about on the "moral acceptability" of homosexual relations?

Americans' Acceptance of Gay Relations Crosses 50% Threshold

Or as an acceptable alternative lifestyle?

Tolerance for Gay Rights at High-Water Mark

People don't consider adoption "normal" either. It is an "alternative" method of achieving parenthood. It is not "normal" by definition, since it is not practiced by the majority. But it is also an acceptable method.

Conversely, it was once "normal" to own slaves, to subjugate women, to beat children. That didn't make them right, or good, or acceptable.

"Normal" is far too subjective.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:52 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBrad View Post
I now detest the Mormon religion more than I dislike every other religion. Back in 2008 when prop 8 shed it's light right around Election day, I was a senior in high school, and there was a group of mormons who went bat sh*t crazy posting flyers, asking for donations, protesting on street corners against gay marriage. It made me sick. I wanted to punch them in the face even though a majority of them were girls, I still wanted to punch them and then they were giving out little cards for that big mormon temple here. They gave it to me and I ripped it in half right in front of their face. I understand people have their own beliefs but they crossed the line. That was just hate. Plus the mormons are known for polygamy so they certainly shouldn't be preaching about marriage.

Another dumb argument is when people found out Prop 8 was overturned they said "It's not fair to overturn something that a majority of voters were for." Civil rights should never be voted on. if we had voted on slavery and blacks back in the day, I'm sure it would have lasted much longer than it actually did. I find it ignorant that a majority should be allowed to vote on a minority. Just rediculous.

Where any of them hot? You could have asked to see their magic underwear

(seriously, the mormon faith believes that if you wear your temple garments, they are bullet proof)

At any rate, they have a constitutional right for freedom of speech. However, you have a constitutional right to make fun of them too.

"Against the assault of laughter, nothing can stand"
- Mark Twain

Old 08-13-2010, 01:18 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanothermanger View Post
If it would aid in doing away with all this racial BS, then yes!

I find things like this only further divides PEOPLE...
Too bad some folks didn't acknowledge the contributions, achievements and historical events of all Americans from the very beginning or else we woiuldn't need a separate month to celebrate historical accomplishments and events of Americans based on race or ethnicity. But since it was decided by many to exclude the historical events and accomplishments of people by race or ethnicity here we are today. The reality is many Americans are still ignorant by choice of other Americans historical accomplisments based on race and ethnicity. I say leave the separate historical months in place until the historical accomplisments and events of ALL AMERICANS are incorporated as AMERICAN HISTORY!

Old 08-13-2010, 01:21 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,988,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsy View Post
How about on the "moral acceptability" of homosexual relations?

Americans' Acceptance of Gay Relations Crosses 50% Threshold

Or as an acceptable alternative lifestyle?

Tolerance for Gay Rights at High-Water Mark

People don't consider adoption "normal" either. It is an "alternative" method of achieving parenthood. It is not "normal" by definition, since it is not practiced by the majority. But it is also an acceptable method.

Conversely, it was once "normal" to own slaves, to subjugate women, to beat children. That didn't make them right, or good, or acceptable.

"Normal" is far too subjective.
Thanks, Wingsy! I was about to dig up that Gallup link. But I bet wdavid002 imagines some reason to discard that one as well...

Old 08-13-2010, 01:22 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBrad View Post

Actually the Mormon experience with their form of marriage being outlawed gives them a special position and perspective from which to protest those forms of marriage which do not conform to the societal norms and definitions of one man + one woman. Afterall, why should they be alone in not practicing the marriage style of their choice?

I'm surprised that the gay community doesn't recognize this fact. Oh wait, no I'm not.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:54 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
If the current ruling gets through the Supreme Court then every stae in the country is going to have to allow same sex marriages and divorces. The ruling was based on the 14th Amendment of the Consitution was extremely well written. It's logical, factual and pretty straightforward. If the Supreme Court can't find another part of the Consitution the refutes Judge Walkers ruling then same sex marriage will be the law of the land.
Ok, if the Supreme Court says it then that's the law of the land.

My post was about the law in CA vs the law in TX as it stands today.
We've already had 2 cases where same sex couples moved to TX and tried to get a legal divorce and tried to fight our amendment. Didn't work out for either.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:56 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Actually the Mormon experience with their form of marriage being outlawed gives them a special position and perspective from which to protest those forms of marriage which do not conform to the societal norms and definitions of one man + one woman. Afterall, why should they be alone in not practicing the marriage style of their choice?

I'm surprised that the gay community doesn't recognize this fact. Oh wait, no I'm not.
That is interesting. So if same sex marriage is allowed then the Morman's have some ground to push for their form of marriage as well.
Can't discriminate against one form over another, can we ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies