Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you feel about homosexuals marrying?
I approve of it 130 66.33%
I don't approve of it 63 32.14%
It depends 2 1.02%
I don't know 1 0.51%
Voters: 196. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 08:05 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,950,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
Gay marriage is going to be legal everywhere, and soon. I'm going to guess that it'll happen by the end of the decade. If not everywhere by 2010, then most places. And I've got news for you, it's the right thing to happen. A gay marriage doesn't hurt anyone's straight marriage. If you wanted to make a marriage illegal, Britney Spears last marriage would have been a good one. Now there's the type of marriage that taints the institution of marriage, including gay marriage. Why not get mad about farces like that?
By the way, I applaud the person who voted "I Don't Know". You got to love a wishy-washy voter.
why do you think that? in california it has been stopped. i mean if they cant get it to stick in cali i hardly think they will legalize it all over the us before the year is up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 08:09 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,977,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
I won't go into my sexual pleasures, but what other people enjoy in their bedroom is of no consequence to me. It odes not hurt or affect me in any way.
I believe the issue the poster was making a point to that it wasn't simply an issue of one keeping it to themselves in their own bedroom, but being taught to children through a public platform. This then makes it an issue of the public and people are valid in making an objection.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:12 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,059,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
I believe the issue the poster was making a point to that it wasn't simply an issue of one keeping it to themselves in their own bedroom, but being taught to children through a public platform. This then makes it an issue of the public and people are valid in making an objection.
Which I understand that point. That goes down to personal ethics, and what people want their children to be taught and such.

Which is why I think any form of sex education should be opt-outable.

And it's for that reason I don't have a problem with teaching 14+ teens safer ways to partake in these activities.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:16 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,977,372 times
Quote:
Which I understand that point. That goes down to personal ethics, and what people want their children to be taught and such.

Which is why I think any form of sex education should be opt-outable.

And it's for that reason I don't have a problem with teaching 14+ teens safer ways to partake in these activities.
I think it should go one step further, it shouldn't be funded by tax payers money.

If parents want their children to learn about specifics past the basic biological reproduction process, then they can go through a private 3rd party to which they will be responsible for funding the education.

This way, any political angle is taken out.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:52 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,814,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Morals are indeed flexible. 50 years ago it was not just a sin to get a divorce but also an outrage. Often only the man could file for divorce from his wife, but she did not have the same right. Pre marital sex was once frowned on and now it is common for people to give out after just 2 dates, forget about engagements or waiting for marriage before having sex. I remember when one did not hear women swearing like a sailor and now I hear it all the time. Times and society change and so do the morals that go with it. Morality is flexible and always has been. Religion cannot be used to make or enforce laws. Which religion is granted that position of ward over all? Yours?
I'm sorry, was it not clear?

I said mans ability to flex morality doesn't make it moral.

You've decided that anything you want to be moral is, if it fits your version of what morality is, this doesn't make it moral. I must point out (again), that marriage is Sacred. Biblically you marry once and anything after that is adultery. There are caveats allowing for divorce but these are only under certain circumstances, usually of intentional neglect.

Why do you think the divorce rate is so high in the modern era? People change partners as quickly as they change lanes. The true meaning of marriage has been diluted to almost meaningless except for the benefits granted in the eyes of the state such as taxes, insurance, retirement benefits. This is really the primary driving force behind the push for gay marriage. Not for the religious meaning of it. It's a bastardizing of the entire premise of marriage.

You can make it a human thing all you'd like because that's where you're coming from. I would never try to change your mind, because nothing will, just as you shouldn't be taking something that has a religous origin and making it a non-religous object of your desire.

You might get to call it marriage and reap the few remaining benefits of marriage but it will never be marriage in anything other than words.

I guess I'm fortunate because I've been married for 35 years with no extramarital issues. Our life has been far from perfect and extremely challenging at times. I suppose that if we were a typical couple these days we would've divorced each other 10 times by now. If I lack everything else in life, I'm content to have the wife I have, I'm blessed.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
I think it should go one step further, it shouldn't be funded by tax payers money.

If parents want their children to learn about specifics past the basic biological reproduction process, then they can go through a private 3rd party to which they will be responsible for funding the education.

This way, any political angle is taken out.
That's precisley the point of opting out though. That way parents who do want their kids to be wholly unprepared for the real world can do so.

You can opt out of evolution classes too, IIRC.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
I'm sorry, was it not clear?

I said mans ability to flex morality doesn't make it moral.

You've decided that anything you want to be moral is, if it fits your version of what morality is, this doesn't make it moral. I must point out (again), that marriage is Sacred. Biblically you marry once and anything after that is adultery. There are caveats allowing for divorce but these are only under certain circumstances, usually of intentional neglect.

Why do you think the divorce rate is so high in the modern era? People change partners as quickly as they change lanes. The true meaning of marriage has been diluted to almost meaningless except for the benefits granted in the eyes of the state such as taxes, insurance, retirement benefits. This is really the primary driving force behind the push for gay marriage. Not for the religious meaning of it. It's a bastardizing of the entire premise of marriage.

You can make it a human thing all you'd like because that's where you're coming from. I would never try to change your mind, because nothing will, just as you shouldn't be taking something that has a religous origin and making it a non-religous object of your desire.

You might get to call it marriage and reap the few remaining benefits of marriage but it will never be marriage in anything other than words.

I guess I'm fortunate because I've been married for 35 years with no extramarital issues. Our life has been far from perfect and extremely challenging at times. I suppose that if we were a typical couple these days we would've divorced each other 10 times by now. If I lack everything else in life, I'm content to have the wife I have, I'm blessed.

Here's the problem: THere's no one single caveat of morality. Each religious group has their own sets of morals, and the only real thing that sets "morality" is society. And as the social pole changes over time, so does the moral pole.

That's why the moral argument falters.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:18 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,814,271 times
Quote:
Here's the problem: THere's no one single caveat of morality. Each religious group has their own sets of morals, and the only real thing that sets "morality" is society. And as the social pole changes over time, so does the moral pole.

That's why the moral argument falters.
Again, only from the human standpoint.

Biblically it doesn't falter and if adhered to completely and as intended is perfect. I admit I can't, but I try. Keep in mind that there's a lot more to marriage than just being married, and a lot more to a moral life than just calling it moral as dictated by society. Society will crumble, but your forever is for ever.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:18 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,285,475 times
Quote:
That's precisley the point of opting out though. That way parents who do want their kids to be wholly unprepared for the real world can do so.
Right now argument with tED if veering off topic, but just to support this, areas where Sex education isn't taught, has shown a higher rate of teen pregnancies than where Sex education is taught, and contraceptives are readily available.

Quote:
You can opt out of evolution classes too, IIRC.
Yup. My high school teacher made a statement to our entire class that he will be teaching Evolution as part of our curriculum and that if anyone in the class objects to learning evolution, he would give them another set of assignments that they could cover during the week we were taught evolution.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:22 PM

20,318 posts, read 37,304,009 times
Hmmm...there must be a lot of gays in this forum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies