Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 05:20 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,243,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Fortunately, we have a Constitution that supersedes Sharia Law, that supersedes all theocratic considerations. We don't need to fear Islam. Sharia Law is not a threat.
At this proportion of population, yet, we have nothing to fear. But look at countries in europe with higher muslim populations. There are more and more calls for more islamic based governance (not exactly full shariah, only the craziest like Islam4UK do that). When that happens, society will become more conservative, and teh lib erals values you cherish will begin to erode.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 05:30 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,221,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
At this proportion of population, yet, we have nothing to fear. But look at countries in europe with higher muslim populations. There are more and more calls for more islamic based governance (not exactly full shariah, only the craziest like Islam4UK do that). When that happens, society will become more conservative, and teh lib erals values you cherish will begin to erode.
That's about the way I have it. Get a few loose progressives behind the wheel supported by a bit of international cash and here comes that ol' shari'a creep.

Old 08-16-2010, 05:47 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,275,581 times
That's what they (liberals) don't get I think. That we are fighting for them too. Liberal society is an antithesis to what these people believe and liberals would be the first to experience it's bad effects.

Old 08-16-2010, 06:02 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,080,649 times
I'm curious, if the we can accommodate the religious laws of those who practice Santaria, see Church of Lukumi Babalu Aye v. City of Hialeah, 508 U.S. 520 (1993), Native Americans, Native Americans, see Employment Division, Department of Human Resources of Oregon v. Smith, 494 U.S. 872 (1990), and Jehovah Witnesses listed in more than two dozen Supreme Court decisions, more than any group I can think of, why cannot laws pertaining Muslims be recognized as long as they do not violate basic criminal statutes particularly those involving violence against the person. As a nation we have done a pretty good job of balancing religious rights vs the rights of society, particularly when it has come to issues of minor children and the Christian Scientist. I have a great deal of faith in the our legal system, but maybe its just me.

Old 08-16-2010, 06:19 PM

It's more complicated than that. I don't mind if they want Halal foods or even time to worship. There are other things that an approach like that wouldn't be able to touch such as the teaching of the slaying of Christians and Jews in their mosques and in their religious schools to impressionable kids.

This is something that their leaders must address on a fundamental level to redesign their religion if it is to coexist with other people. One problem is that they are not suppose to change it.

Old 08-16-2010, 06:49 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,961,323 times
Default Hamaa nod to Ground Zero mosque

Hamas nod for Ground Zero mosque - NYPOST.com

A leader of the Hamas terror group yesterday jumped into the emotional debate on the plan to construct a mosque near Ground Zero -- insisting Muslims "have to build" it there. "We have to build everywhere," said Mahmoud al-Zahar, a co-founder of Hamas and the organization's chief on the Gaza Strip. "In every area we have, [as] Muslim[s], we have to pray, and this mosque is the only site of prayer," he said on "Aaron Klein Investigative Radio" on WABC.

Mayor Bloomberg, a strong supporter of the plan, declined comment through a spokesman.

Feisal Abdul Rauf, the imam behind the proposed mosque, and two other leaders of the plan who previously had commented extensively, were silent yesterday.

Old 08-16-2010, 06:56 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,221,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I'm curious, if the we can accommodate the religious laws of those who practice Santaria, see Church of Lukumi Babalu Aye v. City of Hialeah, 508 U.S. 520 (1993), Native Americans, Native Americans, see Employment Division, Department of Human Resources of Oregon v. Smith, 494 U.S. 872 (1990), and Jehovah Witnesses listed in more than two dozen Supreme Court decisions, more than any group I can think of, why cannot laws pertaining Muslims be recognized as long as they do not violate basic criminal statutes particularly those involving violence against the person. As a nation we have done a pretty good job of balancing religious rights vs the rights of society, particularly when it has come to issues of minor children and the Christian Scientist. I have a great deal of faith in the our legal system, but maybe its just me.
I think a major difference is that many if not all of those groups you mention are neither as large nor aggressive as Islam.

In some area Muslims are allowed to use some aspects of Shari'a as long as they do NOT interfere with or violate existing local and/or state laws. But again, Islam is aggressive and will when given the chance use existing law to extend its influence.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:04 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,090,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
You recite this ONE experience and accuse ALL Muslims of intolerance. Ever go to Dubai? The Emirate allows just about any religion to be practiced. They only thing they don't allow is non-Islamic religions to actively recruit converts.

Maybe these Muslims wouldn't be frothing at the mouth if Jews hadn't forced Palestinians out of Palestine in 1947 with no due process and no compensation for their property and then contnued for 60+ years to disenfranchise them politically and economically.

You can't blame the anger of Arabs strictly on religious intolerance. Israel has a terrible human rights record in regards to Arabs in Israel and on the West Bank.

Sounds like you want us to understand and be tolerant over why a muslim didn't like this 16yo at the time, or why they don't like Jews in general (actually anyone besides other muslims), due to deaths and human rights lost over the land, then shouldn't muslims understand why we are frothing over their desire for a mosque so close to the WTC where we incurred deaths over their believers.

Why they can't be tolerant towards our sensitivity towards 9/11. Israels human rights may be off, but so were the Muslims human rights towards our 9/11 victims. Build your mosque in NY, just not near WTC. But the insistance on having it near WTC screams that someone wants a victory flag.

It's just bad taste for them to build there, and offensive, but then again, they really don't care about us, if we like them or accept them more.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:00 PM

Jazzy and Ovcatto and everyone else, I want you to read this link so you will understand what the agenda is with Islam, all of Islam. It is a bit long and written by a former muslim who explains it quite well.

Islam Watch - "When is Islam Oppressed?" by Abul Kasem

Old 08-16-2010, 08:21 PM

183 posts, read 168,545 times
Just think of the number of non-muslim voters am"nasty" would add to the voting pool. Just a thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies