Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 07:55 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,905,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
At this proportion of population, yet, we have nothing to fear. But look at countries in europe with higher muslim populations. There are more and more calls for more islamic based governance (not exactly full shariah, only the craziest like Islam4UK do that). When that happens, society will become more conservative, and teh lib erals values you cherish will begin to erode.
Oh, BS. I don't cherish liberal values, you silly one. I cherish the principles outlined by the Framers of the Constitution. And unlike you, I actually trust the Constitution to do what it's been doing for the past 200+ years: protect Americans to allow them to have freedom of speech, freedom of religion, freedom of the press. You sit here and advocate restricting freedom of religion, as if that weren't the actual destruction of those principles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
That's what they (liberals) don't get I think. That we are fighting for them too. Liberal society is an antithesis to what these people believe and liberals would be the first to experience it's bad effects.
You're not fighting for liberals. You're fighting to undermine the Constitution and everything this country stands for. When you take away the rights of one group of people, you are taking away the rights of ALL Americans. Because the justification can be applied over and over. Remember the poem about the Germans taking away people's rights. It's incrementally done. First you take away the rights of Muslims. But you're not a Muslim, so you don't care. Then it's the rights of someone else, but you don't care, but it's not you. Each time, it's closer to home. Until finally you're the only one left, and they're coming for you. I'm fighting for you. You're not fighting for me. The Muslims exercising their freedom of religion is not a threat to me. You fighting to stop the free exercise of religion are a threat to me, and to all Americans.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:06 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,961,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
Peaceful muslims make for good people, but they are not following islam. At what point, I wonder, will the radical islamists begin insisting that they do?
At the point Shariah Law is incorporated in to the US judicial system. Which is, coincidentally, the precise goal of Imam Rauf of the Cordoba Initiative who is traveling about the Middle East at the behest of our government no less, gathering funds to help make the dhimmification of the USA possible.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:07 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,408,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Oh, BS. I don't cherish liberal values, you silly one. I cherish the principles outlined by the Framers of the Constitution. And unlike you, I actually trust the Constitution to do what it's been doing for the past 200+ years: protect Americans to allow them to have freedom of speech, freedom of religion, freedom of the press. You sit here and advocate restricting freedom of religion, as if that weren't the actual destruction of those principles.
What scares me is that we've shown time and time again that most Muslims are peaceful, and don't want to harm anyone. When charged with proof, we've shown Imam after Imam criticizing terror attacks, and asking for peace. Entire Muslim organizations started up to promote peace. Muslim soldiers who have fought and died in Iraq, etc.

And its the same tired argument.

"All Muslims are bad, because they attacked us on 9/11"

I just can't get over how silly people are being about this. We know that all Muslims didn't attack us on 9/11. They know that. Just like all Christians didn't bomb abortion clinics and kill people in the name of "God" and "Christ". We didn't stop building Christian churches because of that. Why should we stop building Mosques?

Its ok to disagree with the mosque, but the reasons people have used for it are silly. If your reason is "I simply don't feel like it should be there" fine, but don't elaborate on your reason why if its a hateful, spiteful, stupid reason. If someone asks you about it, don't say anything.

My Grandmother always said "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all". I think that holds true here.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
At the point Shariah Law is incorporated in to the US judicial system. Which is, coincidentally, the precise goal of Imam Rauf of the Cordoba Initiative who is traveling about the Middle East at the behest of our government no less, gathering funds to help make the dhimmification of the USA possible.
And what part of the Constitution of the United States of America do you NOT understand?

Because Sharia Law is not going to be incorporated into the US judicial system.

And you cannot prove otherwise.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:09 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,961,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
What scares me is that we've shown time and time again that most Muslims are peaceful, and don't want to harm anyone. When charged with proof, we've shown Imam after Imam criticizing terror attacks, and asking for peace. Entire Muslim organizations started up to promote peace. Muslim soldiers who have fought and died in Iraq, etc.

And its the same tired argument.

"All Muslims are bad, because they attacked us on 9/11"

I just can't get over how silly people are being about this. We know that all Muslims didn't attack us on 9/11. They know that. Just like all Christians didn't bomb abortion clinics and kill people in the name of "God" and "Christ". We didn't stop building Christian churches because of that. Why should we stop building Mosques?

Its ok to disagree with the mosque, but the reasons people have used for it are silly. If your reason is "I simply don't feel like it should be there" fine, but don't elaborate on your reason why if its a hateful, spiteful, stupid reason. If someone asks you about it, don't say anything.

My Grandmother always said "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all". I think that holds true here.
So your grandmother's advice applies to other posters but not yourself?

Denial via political correctness has allowed successful attacks on the USA by radical Islamic jihaddists before and the continuation of such will only make our nation evermore vulnerable to radical Islam as a target whose political system is ripe for takeover.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:11 AM

Quote:

Denial via political correctness has allowed successful attacks on the USA by radical Islamic jihaddists before and the continuation of such will continue to make our nation evermore vulnerable.
Then build the bunker around your own house. And leave the rest of Americans out of your fear-induced delusions. I would rather live free than live in fear. And when people start talking about restricting our freedoms, they do so because of FEAR.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:12 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,137,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
On my side of the Atlantic, we have no queen (in the strictest sense). To be honest, your comment seemed more like an ad hominem attack than a search for the most applicable word.
Thank you, Master of the Obvious.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:13 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,408,005 times
Quote:

Denial via political correctness has allowed successful attacks on the USA by radical Islamic jihaddists before and the continuation of such will only make our nation evermore vulnerable to radical Islam as a target whose political system is ripe for takeover.
There is a difference. I'm not saying those that oppose the Mosque are wrong. I have my own personal feelings on it, but to me, its completely different issues.

Its not denial. If you don't like it, say so. But if your reasons for not liking it are hate and bigotry, then don't say anything.

I have friends and relatives who don't like President Obama because he's black, no other reason. They know it, and they'll say it in private. But they don't run around spouting off hateful comments about black folks, just because they don't like them.

They'll say, "I don't like the President" if pushed for a reason, they'll walk away. Whats wrong with that? I disagree with their position and hate, but its a free country.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:17 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,137,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
At this proportion of population, yet, we have nothing to fear. But look at countries in europe with higher muslim populations. There are more and more calls for more islamic based governance (not exactly full shariah, only the craziest like Islam4UK do that). When that happens, society will become more conservative, and teh lib erals values you cherish will begin to erode.
So you are actually worried that American Muslims will get the 2/3 majority they need to change the Constitution?

Newsflash - if that happens, we will have already been a Muslim country for a long time. Demographic projections do not support your paranoia...Hispanics aren't generally known for converting to Islam.

It's not happening. This is just more lunatic right-wing scaremongering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies