Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 08:17 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,784,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Soon we will be rid of all Christmas stuff hanging and the last 2 weeks of December will just become one big "discount sale" in all the stores.

I'm sure that will make all the sensitive people happy.
Would you want atheists and agnostics hanging anti-Christian or anti-God stuff on public land the rest of the year when it is not a holiday season?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 08:19 PM

1,309 posts, read 1,363,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
You don't have to search the web at all. Just put it into the search engine on this forum. You'll be amazed at how exhaustively this topic has been discussed.

Nonetheless, we have a system of government that is charged with keeping out of church affairs. And it's like oil and water. If the government is oil and it cannot intrude itself into church, water, then the same is true in reverse. To keep government from being entwined with church, church must be kept from becoming entwined with government. And it's for the church's benefit. All churches. Freedom of religion and a state-sanctioned church are not a good mix.
I understand what you are saying and to a point I agree.
The other stuff; I have to quit and say I agree to disagree.

Shooo, this thread made me tired

Old 08-19-2010, 10:18 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,465,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
When it is an issue they support like the Ground Zero mosque it is a First Amendment arguement.

When it is an issue they dont support like prayer in schools, nativity scenes on public property, etc. they scream it is seperation of church and state.

Why is that??
It's because you apparently don't understand the Constitution and the concept of separation of church and state. If you did, you would recognize that there is really no conflict in the two cases you stated.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:55 PM

767 posts, read 490,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Anyone can pray in school. The prayer can't be school sanctioned. I don't really see why some Christians feel the need to hang up Christmas stuff on public property.
Many people view Christmas more of a commercial holiday than a Christmas holiday. It lost it's religious connotations when It became more about gifts and fat men in red suits. I'm agnostic and I celebrate Christmas.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:13 AM

2,347 posts, read 2,787,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Liberals embrace homosexuality --- Conservatives believe in stoning them to death

Liberals promote feminism - Conservatives subjugate women and are the most anti-female group the world has ever known

Liberals believe if it feels good do it - Conservatives believe if it feels good you'd better not (or they'll stone you to death)

I appears to me that Conservatives and your portrayal of Muslims are a lot more in common. Maybe you guys could set up some student exchange program with Saudi Arabia.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:28 AM

150 posts, read 108,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
When it is an issue they support like the Ground Zero mosque it is a First Amendment arguement.

When it is an issue they dont support like prayer in schools, nativity scenes on public property, etc. they scream it is seperation of church and state.

Why is that??
HOGWASH- Its not only on Public property some PC looney liberals scream about these issues:

In 2007, hardware retailer Lowe's started using the term "family tree" in its advertisements. The American Family Association, a group promoting "traditional family values" took aim at the corporation, which later called the term a printing mistake and confirmed it would be selling Christmas decorations.

Fortunately Lowes came to their senses after this association had to point it out.

Cary News | What tree is this? (http://www.carynews.com/2009/12/16/15041/what-tree-is-this.html - broken link)

Although the tree at Rockefeller Center in New York City is popularly referred to as the Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree, it is officially titled The Tree at Rockefeller Center.

NBC would not dare offend liberals by having a "Christmas tree" on its property.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:39 AM

2,347 posts, read 2,787,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirros View Post
HOGWASH- Its not only on Public property some PC looney liberals scream about these issues:

In 2007, hardware retailer Lowe's started using the term "family tree" in its advertisements. The American Family Association, a group promoting "traditional family values" took aim at the corporation, which later called the term a printing mistake and confirmed it would be selling Christmas decorations.

Fortunately Lowes came to their senses after this association had to point it out.

Cary News | What tree is this? (http://www.carynews.com/2009/12/16/15041/what-tree-is-this.html - broken link)

Although the tree at Rockefeller Center in New York City is popularly referred to as the Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree, it is officially titled The Tree at Rockefeller Center.

NBC would not dare offend liberals by having a "Christmas tree" on its property.
Rock Center is PRIVATE PROPERTY!!!! NBC can do whatever it wants on its own property.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:30 AM

15,101 posts, read 8,656,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Would you want atheists and agnostics hanging anti-Christian or anti-God stuff on public land the rest of the year when it is not a holiday season?
Let me ask you something - why do you compare someone who's happy and bright nature urged them to hang some christmas decorations of Santa Claus and rain deer for a couple of weeks out of the entire year ... which is more an act that symbolizes happy memories, a spirit of giving, and a celebration of a time where families who are often geographically separated, come together and reunite .... with a person who would act so spitefully and destructive by going out of their way to demonstrate such negativity and their obvious disdain for anything relating to joy?

I'll tell you ... because those of you who would do this are MISERABLE, and can't stand the idea of anyone not being miserable along with you.

It all comes back to the attitude of some people who don't possess those normal human emotions which finds the celebration of joy and happiness uplifting ... but view it as a reminder of just what a sad sack of manure their souls are.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:37 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,917,545 times
Quote:
Let me ask you something - why do you compare someone who's happy and bright nature urged them to hang some christmas decorations of Santa Claus and rain deer for a couple of weeks out of the entire year ... which is more an act that symbolizes happy memories, a spirit of giving, and a celebration of a time where families who are often geographically separated, come together and reunite .... with a person who would act so spitefully and destructive by going out of their way to demonstrate such negativity and their obvious disdain for anything relating to joy?

I'll tell you ... because those of you who would do this are MISERABLE, and can't stand the idea of anyone not being miserable along with you.

It all comes back to the attitude of some people who don't possess those normal human emotions which finds the celebration of joy and happiness uplifting ... but view it as a reminder of just what a sad sack of manure their souls are.
Exactly who are the people who are MISERABLE?

Who doesn't possess "normal human emotions"?

And "sad sack of manure" souls?

Old 08-20-2010, 11:28 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,306,795 times
Quote:

Knock themselves out, on private property.
Who has said that that's not acceptable?

Public property is a different story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies