Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 03:01 PM

2,958 posts, read 2,560,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
first off I dd not 'put out these absurd' numbers of 90%

other posters have multiple time talked about the 50's and they 90% we the number...even some politicians have

the question is what should ANYONE pay, what is a FAIR number to ALL

should I pay a double PERCENTAGE because I make twice as much (60k) as a person who makes 30k..... or should I just pay twice as much in real dollars with the same percentage (ie 10% of 30k is 3k, and 10% of 60k is 6k)

why is it 'foolish' to talk....because I dont agree that we should unfairly tax someone at a different level than others.....why do you want unfair practices???????
That attitude will bring this country down. We used to pay our way. Everybody used to do their part. Now those with the wealth and power expect to do neither.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 03:02 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,978,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Probably because no other Western country directly borders a Third World country and takes an amazingly laizze-faire attitude to importing without limit said poor people.

I would like that you define "the rich." I am sure of one thing. They will be those that earn at least a bit more than you. Class conflict- what else would you call your stance?
The entire Western World has bigger governments for their size and more progressive tax structures than the USA save a few oddballs....singapore, brazil etc.

My net income is above $200K, I have a pension that will pay me a 6 figure income when I retire, my kids go to the best schools in the entire state of Texas, their college is paid for, I have eight rental properties and 6 oil and gas leases. I've got it all. Full medical insurance, 401k, Roths, mutual funds, etc.

I'm fine.

I'm just here in awe of how stupid middle class Americans are of buying into right wing propaganda. Cutting their own throats when it comes to Social Security, health care, public education, infrastructure, job security, workers rights...LOL

It's jaw dropping the amount of brainwashing needed to have millions of right wing lemmings vote against their own family's interests......Wow!

Instead these morons are easily distracted by gay marriage, flag burning, muslim community centers two blocks from ground zero, flag pins on lapels, and teleprompters....LOL

Last edited by padcrasher; 08-20-2010 at 03:29 PM..

Old 08-20-2010, 03:06 PM

13,650 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
The entire Western World has bigger governments for their size and more progressive tax structures than the USA save a few oddballs....singapore, brazil etc.

My net income is above $200K, I have a pension that will pay me a 6 figure income when I retire, my kids go to the best schools in the entire state of Texas, their college is paid for, I have eight rental properties and 6 oil and gas leases. I've got it all full medical insurance, 401k, Roths, mutual funds, etc.

I'm fine.

I'm just here in awe of how stupid middle class Americans are of buying into right wing propaganda. Cutting their own throats when it comes to Social Security, public education, infrastructure, job security, workers rights...LOL

It's jaw dropping the amount of brainwashing needed to have millions of right wing lemmings vote against their own family's interests......Wow!
Its right wing propaganda that social security is broke? I am sorry, but I do not know what you are talking about. And I find the success you boast of more than suspect.

Old 08-20-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Its right wing propaganda that social security is broke? I am sorry, but I do not know what you are talking about. And I find the success you boast of more than suspect.
LOL! It's the same song they've been singing ever since FDR signed it into law. By now you should at least be suspicious.

Old 08-20-2010, 03:12 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,978,392 times
Quote:
If you want to make the absurd claim the Social security is broke by all means have at it!

Your right wing myth doesn't stand a chance when the facts are known.

Anybody can go to the SS trustee report on line and it well tell you 100% benefits till 2037 and 22% reduction in benefits after that if we do nothing to change it.

That's not anywhere near the definition of broke.

Old 08-20-2010, 03:17 PM

Quote:
If you want to make the absurd claim the Social security is broke by all means have at it!

Anybody can go to the SS trustee report on line and it well tell you 100% benefits till 2037 and 22% reduction in benefits after that if we do nothing to change it.

Yeah...for years they've been claiming the same thing when all the time Social Security was the only government program in Washington which was taking in more each month than it was paying out in benefits.
Add to that the trillion and a half of surplus which was borrowed by annual budgets and IOU's placed in the "LOCKED BOX" and Voila!!

Old 08-20-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
LOL! It's the same song they've been singing ever since FDR signed it into law. By now you should at least be suspicious.

Nonsense. When FDR signed it into law, the average recipient was on it for a year or so and then died. The strain on Social Security began when people started to live longer- not a bad thing of course. And it will be exacerbated by the Baby Boomers retiring and soaking it up.

Obama's own administration knows it broke. Numbers are not ideological.

Old 08-20-2010, 03:30 PM

59,053 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:

Are you denying the gov't "took" some of that money and replaced it with IOUs?

Old 08-20-2010, 03:31 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:

My net income is above $200K, I have a pension that will pay me a 6 figure income when I retire, my kids go to the best schools in the entire state of Texas, their college is paid for, I have eight rental properties and 6 oil and gas leases. I've got it all. Full medical insurance, 401k, Roths, mutual funds, etc.

I'm fine.

I'm just here in awe of how stupid middle class Americans are of buying into right wing propaganda. Cutting their own throats when it comes to Social Security, public education, infrastructure, job security, workers rights...LOL

Instead these morons are easily distracted by gay marriage, flag burning, muslim community centers two blocks from ground zero, flag pins on lapels, and teleprompters....LOL

1. $200K per year is not that much
2. $100K per year pension? That would only go to municipal employees. Modern corporations and individuals do not have pensions anymore.
3. "Against thier family's interest"? So insolvency and enslaving thier children for todays entitlement programs is in thier best interest?

PS- I would not count on that pension. Cities and states are just as broke as the feds. That whole house of cards will be of shorter duration that social security. If I had to rely on a "pension" (and it sounds like you do) I would be very worried. When it comes down to funding schools, repairing roads, and maintaining the police and fire departments, they will jetison your pension in a heartbeat.

Old 08-20-2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:

Hmmm...the New York Times, hardly a paragon of right wing thought says otherwise:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/13/us.../13health.html

Forbes says much the same, although I reckon you will dismiss it as a right wing rag despite its stellar rep:

Save The Date: Social Security Will Go Broke - Forbes.com

And the beat goes on:

Social Security, Medicare Face Insolvency Sooner - WSJ.com

But hey, you go right on dismissing it a RW propaganda (feels cool to use that word eh?). Its people like you that will make any reform impossible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies