Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2010, 05:26 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,936,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmandoSanchez View Post
What a load of BS! Start with individuals......yea, so much progress was made by just individuals before the government got involved and PASSED SOME LAWS to ensure at least at attempt at equality.
Yes it starts with individuals. People's hearts need to change, laws don't change people's hearts, laws can't make a color-blind society. It is pretty simple to see, if you live in reality that is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 07:21 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,696,085 times
Quote:
What a load of BS! Start with individuals......yea, so much progress was made by just individuals before the government got involved and PASSED SOME LAWS to ensure at least at attempt at equality.

Equality... Everyone has the same equal rights and abilities in the USA.

The thing is not everyone character is equal. Life is not equal and never will be.

All laws like this does, is pick the winners and losers, instead of the people picking them by social interaction. It is a way to control and keep the minorities in check. The program set up to help actually hurt the will and desire to make it in America.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:41 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,399,751 times
This woman with her honorary "doctorate" from a religious undergraduate college has very different views to Coretta Scott King (MLK's wife) about gays and lesbians. Who would know better what MLK thought than his wife? BTW, MLK earned his doctorate from Boston University.

Quotes from Coretta Scott King:

“I still hear people say that I should not be talking about the rights of lesbian and gay people and I should stick to the issue of racial justice… But I hasten to remind them that Martin Luther King, Jr., said, ‘Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere’ … I appeal to everyone who believes in Martin Luther King, Jr.’s dream to make room at the table of brotherhood and sisterhood for lesbian and gay people.”1

“Gay and lesbian people have families, and their families should have legal protection, whether by marriage or civil union. A constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriages is a form of gay bashing, and it would do nothing at all to protect traditional marriages.”2

“We are all tied together in a single garment of destiny… I can never be what I ought to be until you are allowed to be what you ought to be,” she said, quoting from her husband. “I’ve always felt that homophobic attitudes and policies were unjust and unworthy of a free society and must be opposed by all Americans who believe in democracy.”3

“Gays and lesbians stood up for civil rights in Montgomery, Selma, in Albany, Georgia, and St. Augustine, Florida, and many other campaigns of the Civil Rights Movement. Many of these courageous men and women were fighting for my freedom at a time when they could find few voices for their own, and I salute their contributions.”4

“We have a lot of work to do in our common struggle against bigotry and discrimination. I say ‘common struggle,’ because I believe very strongly that all forms of bigotry & discrimination are equally wrong and should be opposed by right-thinking Americans everywhere. Freedom from discrimination based on sexual orientation is surely a fundamental human right in any great democracy, as much as freedom from racial, religious, gender, or ethnic discrimination.”5

“We have to launch a campaign against homophobia in the black community.”6

“Homophobia is like racism and anti-Semitism and other forms of bigotry in that it seeks to dehumanize a large group of people, to deny their humanity, their dignity and personhood. This sets the stage for further repression and violence that spread all too easily to victimize the next minority group.”7

Old 08-25-2010, 07:55 AM

133 posts, read 73,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Equality... Everyone has the same equal rights and abilities in the USA.

The thing is not everyone character is equal. Life is not equal and never will be.

All laws like this does, is pick the winners and losers, instead of the people picking them by social interaction. It is a way to control and keep the minorities in check. The program set up to help actually hurt the will and desire to make it in America.
Total nonsense. Everyone has equal abilities?? So the Civil Rights Act and Affirmative Action actually hurt minorities. Jeeezzzz. Such nonsense!

Old 08-25-2010, 12:59 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,017,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
Do some reading. The dems bought the black mans vote just like they're trying to do with the Hispanics.

Republicans pushed the Civil Rights Act.

Oh, so you give absolutely ZERO credit to President Johnson? Let's not forget that in the 1960s, it was a moral imperative to enact civil rights legislation. Just look at all of the murders, marches, sit-ins. Nearly every week, those events made the news and put a black eye on the US to the rest of the world. According to what I have read, Pres Johnson did not want to force civil rights legislation initially, but DID use the full power of the Presidency to push it through a Senate that had a good size bloc of Southern Dems that would vote it down. He definitely did not want to enact the Voting Rights Act of 1965 since it was too soon after the 1964 Act. In fact, MLK was pressing the Pres to pass voting Rights legislation, but Johnson refused. In a moving speech to the nation, Pres Johnson ended his address to the nation with the words, " And we SHALL overcome". According to Andrew Young, this brought tears to MLK's face upon hering those words.

I don't see how Johnson "bought the votes of blacks" when in fact he LOST the votes of many white southerners (who voted blindly and loyally Democratic) by passage of the Civil RightsAct of 64 and Voting Rights Act of 65. Johnson in fact knew this when he signed the legislation. Nixon capitalized on this with the "Southern Strategy", which appealed to racism to win the Southern states. It is a strategy that has worked even to the present day.

When you say that the Dixiecrat Senators stayed Democrat to their dying day, I think that you have to look at the way that each Senator views the voters of his State. Many stayed democratic until their retirement. The transformation from southern Dem to Republican has been gradual in most southern states. Most of the Dixiecrats that a previous poster spoke of retired in the 1970s. The transformation was not in full bloom just then. For example, in 1976, Bill Clements (R) was the first Repub governor elected in Tex since Reconstruction. He was then toppled by Mark White (D) 4 years later. Even in the early 80s when I worked at the polls as a clerk, I still remember many voters who called themselves "Dems", but voted Republican.
Now, Texas is reliably red Republican in all State offices, Senators and most of the Congress delegation.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:39 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,836,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Those Southern Conservatives were Democrats....

i know this was before the rise and dominace of liberalism in the democratic party

Old 08-25-2010, 08:46 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,836,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts?
Do some reading. The dems bought the black mans vote just like they're trying to do with the Hispanics.

Republicans pushed the Civil Rights Act.
lol we be in the pocket if republicans for years after construction and points of time some have been unloyal and betrayed blacks, the southern strategy kevin phillips knew what they had to do and that was keep at least 10% of the black vote

in 1964 states rights issues pushed by barry goldwater further turned blacks away from the republican party as blacks been leaving the republican party in areas of the US since the 1930's

In the 1920's INDIANA Dc STEVENSON organized a north KKK AND WAS A REPUBLICAN governor and helped set up many factions

republicans pushed it because they needed our votes, eisenhower thought what he did in arkanasas would solidify a solid black voter turnout for nixon, wrong!

the civil rights era is done and both parties are catering to hispanics in specific areas of the country i for one think they need not to cater to those who want to help illegal immigrants

Old 08-25-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
Yes it starts with individuals. People's hearts need to change, laws don't change people's hearts, laws can't make a color-blind society. It is pretty simple to see, if you live in reality that is.

Laws and regulations that decides winners and losers, only creates resentment.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Total nonsense. Everyone has equal abilities?? So the Civil Rights Act and Affirmative Action actually hurt minorities. Jeeezzzz. Such nonsense!

No, you have to go all the way back to your fellow Progressive, Woodrow Wilson, the guy that created segregation.

It took what happened in 1964(more Republicans supported it than Democrats) to start the reverse of Wilson's segregated game plan for the USA.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post

republicans pushed it because they needed our votes, eisenhower thought what he did in arkanasas would solidify a solid black voter turnout for nixon, wrong!

the civil rights era is done and both parties are catering to hispanics in specific areas of the country i for one think they need not to cater to those who want to help illegal immigrants

MLK was a Republican, until the Democrats threw him in Jail and Kennedy bought his vote to get out of hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies