Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 07:29 AM

133 posts, read 72,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomcome1 View Post
Isn't EVERY POTUS good fodder for the "other side"? Like, I have explained, it just seems MSNBC pays way TOO MUCH attention to Beck, and by doing so, make his popularity go even higher than it might have otherwise....just saying
If you like Beck, why are you complaining about MSNBC's focus on the guy? Not sure that exposing Beck's crap makes his popularity go up. It might, however, encourage advertisers to drop his show. MSNBC is shinning a light into the awful darkness which is Glenn Beck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 07:31 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
Quote:
My wife and I were having a discussion about an hour ago on this subject. We both went to see some recent footage of their shows and sure enough Beck is seen almost on a constant basis in them. In fact right now, I am watching it and sure enough their on their soapbox about who else? Beck, of course! He was the #1 story(concerning the Mosque) on the Maddow Show. We see more of Beck on MSNBC than we do FOX. Why is that?

Common sense tells me that if you do not agree with something, why are you going to constantly put that subject or object in plain view and talk about it EVERYDAY? The more attention Beck receives from MSNBC, it seems the more popular he has gotten. Maybe that is what they really wanted all along......
It seems to me that two things are behind the MSNBC focus on Beck, first they want him to refute them on the air, giving them some free publicity on a highly watched program, and second they want to energize their base by being a bit pugnacious towards Beck and Hannity.

Old 08-24-2010, 07:55 AM

23,558 posts, read 17,232,713 times
Default MSNBC pays Beck as a consultant

"Sort of like Obama and his administration are good for fodder for conservatives."

Love it, the 'believers' continue to compare the virtues of their sitting president to an entertainer and a former losing vice presidential candidate they held in low esteem.

That's the only venue of measure where Obama appears to 'inch' out the competition....in their minds.

MSNBC has become a reality series where smarmy MSNBC/CNN cable residents ignore the news and besmirch 'the others'.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:04 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
My wife and I were having a discussion about an hour ago on this subject. We both went to see some recent footage of their shows and sure enough Beck is seen almost on a constant basis in them. In fact right now, I am watching it and sure enough their on their soapbox about who else? Beck, of course! He was the #1 story(concerning the Mosque) on the Maddow Show. We see more of Beck on MSNBC than we do FOX. Why is that?

Common sense tells me that if you do not agree with something, why are you going to constantly put that subject or object in plain view and talk about it EVERYDAY? The more attention Beck receives from MSNBC, it seems the more popular he has gotten. Maybe that is what they really wanted all along......
Here's what's going on:

1) No actual Republican front runner for the presidency has emerged. It's the same old tired faces from 2008 (Romney, Huckabee, Palin) and prior (Gingrich). They've maxed out on Palin or peaked too soon. No one is excited about Tim Pawlenty right now except maybe his wife. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz for all of them. Not going to boost MSNBC audience numbers by making any of those guys the boogeyman.

2) John Boehner and Mitch McConnell are total longtime snoozers as far as political chatter fodder goes. Can't excite the base by talking about them. Can't attract Republicans or Independents by talking about them. Neither McConnell nor Boehner seem to have higher political aspirations. Biggest transgression by either of them is probably using the wrong fork in their respective Congressional dining rooms.

3) Can't get too in the face of Michael Steele or they blow their racism posture. Have to tippy toe with that guy.

In other words, from the uber-lefty side, they've got nuthin' on the right, candidates or politicians in office, to actually sink their teeth into. So they have to look for adversary targets, elsewhere.

4) Rush Limbaugh has been around on the outskirts of the political scene since dinosaurs walked the earth. Nothing to say about him that hasn't already been said by them. Besides, having a radio show in no way competes with them or their cable network. So, there's no bang for the buck if they go after him.

5) O'Reilly plays Humpty Dumpty lately and frankly is pretty weak depth-wise or is emotional on political issues and better on cultural issues. He doesn't know business/economic issues at all. Olbermann and Maddow don't want to do culture.

6) MSNBC has no audience to speak of. On Friday when Glenn Beck had 1,941,000 viewers, at 5:00P, Keith Olbermann had 899,000 and Maddow had 582,000 in primetime, each more than a million less viewers than Beck when probably half the TV news viewing population isn't home from work yet when Beck is on. That's just sad.

7) They try to engage Beck into a war with them hoping he'll say their names on his show like some sort of perverse publicity. Bill O'Reilly was very smart at never mentioning Olbermann's name on TV no matter how much Olbermann provoked him. Why give them the ratings boost in the arm they so desperately need if Beck's audience decides to check them out?

They're pathetic.

Last edited by LauraC; 08-24-2010 at 08:21 AM..

Old 08-24-2010, 09:45 AM

3,135 posts, read 3,781,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmandoSanchez View Post
If you like Beck, why are you complaining about MSNBC's focus on the guy? Not sure that exposing Beck's crap makes his popularity go up. It might, however, encourage advertisers to drop his show. MSNBC is shinning a light into the awful darkness which is Glenn Beck.

Where on this thread did I say I liked Beck? Ever hear that old saying, "There's no such thing as bad publicity"? Well, MSNBC has been making that easier for Beck for a good while now(oh, and advertisers are not dropping his show, too much exposure on MSNBC for that to happen).....

Old 08-24-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Here's what's going on:

1) No actual Republican front runner for the presidency has emerged. It's the same old tired faces from 2008 (Romney, Huckabee, Palin) and prior (Gingrich). They've maxed out on Palin or peaked too soon. No one is excited about Tim Pawlenty right now except maybe his wife. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz for all of them. Not going to boost MSNBC audience numbers by making any of those guys the boogeyman.

2) John Boehner and Mitch McConnell are total longtime snoozers as far as political chatter fodder goes. Can't excite the base by talking about them. Can't attract Republicans or Independents by talking about them. Neither McConnell nor Boehner seem to have higher political aspirations. Biggest transgression by either of them is probably using the wrong fork in their respective Congressional dining rooms.

3) Can't get too in the face of Michael Steele or they blow their racism posture. Have to tippy toe with that guy.

In other words, from the uber-lefty side, they've got nuthin' on the right, candidates or politicians in office, to actually sink their teeth into. So they have to look for adversary targets, elsewhere.

4) Rush Limbaugh has been around on the outskirts of the political scene since dinosaurs walked the earth. Nothing to say about him that hasn't already been said by them. Besides, having a radio show in no way competes with them or their cable network. So, there's no bang for the buck if they go after him.

5) O'Reilly plays Humpty Dumpty lately and frankly is pretty weak depth-wise or is emotional on political issues and better on cultural issues. He doesn't know business/economic issues at all. Olbermann and Maddow don't want to do culture.

6) MSNBC has no audience to speak of. On Friday when Glenn Beck had 1,941,000 viewers, at 5:00P, Keith Olbermann had 899,000 and Maddow had 582,000 in primetime, each more than a million less viewers than Beck when probably half the TV news viewing population isn't home from work yet when Beck is on. That's just sad.

7) They try to engage Beck into a war with them hoping he'll say their names on his show like some sort of perverse publicity. Bill O'Reilly was very smart at never mentioning Olbermann's name on TV no matter how much Olbermann provoked him. Why give them the ratings boost in the arm they so desperately need if Beck's audience decides to check them out?

They're pathetic.

Thank you for clearing that up. Now, if only Inga in Germany could understand that Beck's show is NOT on MSNBC, we could all sleep better

Old 08-24-2010, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
It seems to me that two things are behind the MSNBC focus on Beck, first they want him to refute them on the air, giving them some free publicity on a highly watched program, and second they want to energize their base by being a bit pugnacious towards Beck and Hannity.

Understood! I guess I compare it to certain "leaders" who degrade homosexuality and then are found getting caught in the act themselves. I think deep down, MSNBC wishes they did indeed have Beck on their channel full time.

Old 08-24-2010, 11:05 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,813,272 times
Generally fox and mostly beck will spew a bunch of truth twisting garbage or otherwise outrageous statements, msnbc will call them out on their BS, put them in place and the cycle starts again the next day.

Old 08-24-2010, 11:31 AM

24,411 posts, read 23,070,474 times
I was watching MSNBC and Olbermann was attacking CNN for their coverage of the Ground Zero Mosque debate. At least they gave Fox a break but Beck was again targeted the next night. They base their shows on what the other networks say in their coverage of events. Isn't there a term for that, called being reactionary? Olbermann was awful to the point of being unwatchable so I had to turn it off.

Old 08-24-2010, 11:37 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,303,308 times
Quote:

Simple, some of things Beck and the rest of the FAUX News crew say are incredulous. There aren’t many media sources calling him or FAUX News out on it or putting what they says under close scrutiny or examination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies