Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 11:43 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,191,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
1. yes, illegal drugs have done the nation a great favor. Thanks Hippies!

2. Ever hear of the "free love movement"?

3. What has happened to the divorce rate since the 1960s

4. The exception proves the rule. Lethargy is not a virtue.

5. Bad manners? Of course. Showering and restraint from spitting on vets are a couple of examples.

6. I do not own a pair of blue jeans nor a t-shirt

7. The dems were opposed to civil rights- read your history. Nixon instituted affirmative action.

8. Please. Apparently you did not live through the 1960s. The hippies hated the vets and treated them terribly. Only when it became fashionable to honor the vets (after Platoon) did the hippies change thier tune. Otherwise they were unapologetic pigs who tried to rationalize terrible behavior to thier fellow human beings by an abstract adherence to thier committment to "peace" (which often times included violence).
Mindless obedience and conformity are virtues only for the herd.
Many vets from Viet Nam joined the hippy movement. One of the greatest protests happened in Washington, DC, as many vets (some on crutches and in wheelchairs) tossed their combat medals over the cyclone fence.
The ideal of peace does not appeal to everybody. Some people like wars.
Prudes don't like sex.
Of course, many democrats opposed civil rights, like George Wallace, governor of Alabama.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:45 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,961,005 times
I like my contemporary hippies of the south(though relatively small in number, a good mixed breed, I think). Sure we smoke a little dope, and drink a little beer, (good beer mind you, craft brews and such), but the main thing is a love for good music ranging from The Allman Brothers Band, Phish, and the Grateful Dead, to Vivaldi, Mozart, and Chopin. It's also about a love of nature; backpacking, canoeing, mountain biking, etc... The parts of the original hippie movement that we tend to leave behind are the politically radical, politically correct, moral apathy aspects that it carried. Not that I don't understand why the political pendelum swung that far at the time, but it's nice to know that long hair and beards no longer mean left wing(or Jesus). Everything in moderation.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:00 PM

26,580 posts, read 14,458,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Every generation has its share of "dropouts".

"Bohemians"

"Beatniks"

"Hippies"

"Punk"

They get new names every couple of decades. Most of them eventually grow up and join the mainstream.

or the mainstream starts joining them. well,..... aspects of the sub-culture. then they are worked into pop-culture.

beatniks: post WWII
by the 60's jazz, folk and well trimmed facial hair were def a common in the mainstream.

hippies: long hair and "slovenly" clothing were not the norm in the 60's.... but they became just that in the early-mid 70's.

punk: ( almost my era ) honestly happened in the blink of an eye in the mid-late 70's.. but it had a bizarre influence ( or what people perceived to be punk ) on much of the early-mid 80's culture. favorite moment for me was michael "king of pop" jackson wearing, and popularizing, a red leather jacket with multiple zippers......... a direct lift from the S&M bondage gear that vivian westwood was designing.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:06 PM

30,075 posts, read 18,678,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Mindless obedience and conformity are virtues only for the herd.
Many vets from Viet Nam joined the hippy movement. One of the greatest protests happened in Washington, DC, as many vets (some on crutches and in wheelchairs) tossed their combat medals over the cyclone fence.
The ideal of peace does not appeal to everybody. Some people like wars.
Prudes don't like sex.
Of course, many democrats opposed civil rights, like George Wallace, governor of Alabama.

Mindless obedience and conformity? Are you kidding? What do you think the hippy movement was all about? Mindless idiots joined the movement and failed to think for themselves. They were sheep.

Many vets joined the hippy movement? Right. I have a clinic at the VA and can tell you that the Vietnam vets HATE the hippies. I hear the crap that those pigs did to the vets all the time. I had relatives who fought in Vietnam who got the same treatment. If any vets were hippies, it was the vast minority and probably were not men who saw actual combat. Two of my three relatives who served in Vietnam spent about a year each in military hospitals and did not have much spare time for the protesting and the hippy movement, as they were recovering from wounds.

People like wars? What planet are you on? No sane person likes wars. The guys who fought probably hated war as much as the hippies, but did not shirk thier duty. No one wants to die young and to suggest that someone "likes" war simply because they served is absurd.

Prudes don't like sex? I thought that everyone liked sex. The "prudes", as you call them, are probably just opposed to the marked increase in pregnancies outside of marriage and transmission of STDs- all "benefits" of the hippy movement.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:08 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,828,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Seems there is no thread on Hippies, yet.

Since Hippies are almost always mocked on this board, is that really justified? What were the positive and negative aspects and consequences of that era?
Well, when you figure that most hippies grew up to be liberals and when you can trace liberalism to almost all that is wrong in this country today................theres your answer, not a lot of positives, except for the possibility that a lot of hippies kids rebelled and became young conservatives.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:16 PM

27,623 posts, read 21,136,796 times
The best music that actually had a positive message which helped to end a senseless war. It's not for nothing that Woodstock remains a legendary event.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:21 PM

27,623 posts, read 21,136,796 times
Co-operative business enterprises and creative community living arrangements are more accepted than before. Some of the little hippie health food stores of the 1960s and 1970s are now large-scale, profitable businesses, due to greater interest in natural foods, herbal remedies, vitamins and other nutritional supplements. Author Stewart Brand argues that the development and popularization of the Internet finds one of its primary roots in the anti-authoritarian ethos promoted by hippie culture.

Hippy.info

Old 08-26-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Mindless obedience and conformity? Are you kidding? What do you think the hippy movement was all about? Mindless idiots joined the movement and failed to think for themselves. They were sheep.

Many vets joined the hippy movement? Right. I have a clinic at the VA and can tell you that the Vietnam vets HATE the hippies. I hear the crap that those pigs did to the vets all the time. I had relatives who fought in Vietnam who got the same treatment. If any vets were hippies, it was the vast minority and probably were not men who saw actual combat. Two of my three relatives who served in Vietnam spent about a year each in military hospitals and did not have much spare time for the protesting and the hippy movement, as they were recovering from wounds.

People like wars? What planet are you on? No sane person likes wars. The guys who fought probably hated war as much as the hippies, but did not shirk thier duty. No one wants to die young and to suggest that someone "likes" war simply because they served is absurd.

Prudes don't like sex? I thought that everyone liked sex. The "prudes", as you call them, are probably just opposed to the marked increase in pregnancies outside of marriage and transmission of STDs- all "benefits" of the hippy movement.
You make many assumptions.
I served (voluntarily)in the US Army from 1965 to 1968. My 2 years overseas was in Germany as a track vehicle mechanic.
I returned to my home town, Chicago, just weeks before the Democratic Convention.
No one bothered me about having been in the army. I knew many others that were in the army, mostly in combat in Viet Nam. None related any negative experiences with hippies once they returned home. Many of those let their hair grow long, smoked weed, and sympathized with the anti-war movement. Many of those soldiers smoked weed in Viet Nam. The Vietnamese sold packages of rolled joints to the GIs.
Things may have been completely different in the South. That was, and still is, hardcore redneck country. During that hippy era many people (not only hippies) hitch-hiked across the US. The word was avoid the South. Too many hate filled rednecks.
Hippies railed against the Status Quo, which was termed anti-establishment, a term heard often.
Thinking for yourself is not a concept that Americans like, especially those who label themselves as 'patriots'. But these 'patriots' don't question anything and harbor contempt for anyone who does. The Status Quo doesn't encourage think for oneself and condemns those who do. The hippies questioned established attitudes. The Status Quo can't explain anything, so they react with rage. Hence, another term from the that era 'reactionaries'.
Maybe the vets you have encountered were Southerners.
I knew many vets, none hated the hippies. It wasn't unusual to encounter a beard, long-haired hippy who told me about his combat experiences.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:29 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,993,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Many of those are now teaching in our universities. And that is bad.

The nonconformist question authority attitude makes for one damn good physicist or cosmologist and don't be surprised if you find a lot of greying long hairs running places like Brookhaven or Los Alamos. Remember the scientist director of Area 51 in the movie "Independance Day". A characture but not so far off the mark. In my case I wore what was jokingly called the full Los Alamos look a pair of running shoes, jeans or Dickies work pants, flannel shirt, pocket protector and 4 color pen set and for formal occasions a string tie.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Well, when you figure that most hippies grew up to be liberals and when you can trace liberalism to almost all that is wrong in this country today................theres your answer, not a lot of positives, except for the possibility that a lot of hippies kids rebelled and became young conservatives.
Do you have any statistic to back it up?
The hippies were against discrimination based on race, sex, and ethnic origin.
Some people do regard discrimination as a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies