Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 10:43 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,878,379 times

Advertisements

Received this from his Facebook page.

“The President’s announcement that all U.S. combat troops have left Iraq is no more believable than the 'Mission Accomplished' declaration was in 2003.
“Once again, we are being told the mission has been accomplished and our brave men and women are coming back home. Though the people are hopeful they remain skeptical, and rightfully so.
“The biggest problem is that success in Iraq is undefinable since the mission was never defined. The reasons given for the invasion were based on misinformation. Now, the war has cost us hundreds of billions of dollars and this has contributed significantly to our economic woes.
“Forty-four hundred Americans are dead, thirty thousand severely wounded, and more than a hundred thousand are suffering from serious health problems related to Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome. This alone should tell us that it was not worth the investment and the needless sacrifice of our young people and the taxpayers.
“It is deceitful to imply we will avoid hostilities with this new policy. We still have to contend with:
  • the 50,000 troops carrying weapons remain in Iraq
  • the 100,000 contractors that remain with more expected to go to Iraq
  • the 9,000 special ops personnel trained in assassinations that remain in Iraq
  • a huge embassy, bigger than the Vatican, that will remain
  • Dozens of military bases that will stay
  • Al Qaeda organizations that did not exist before the war
  • Muqtada al Sadr, a strong nationalist who has gained much political power
  • The fact that Iran benefits tremendously with the Shiites now in power in Iraq and is a close ally of al Sadr
“Osama bin Laden wins by 'proving' that America has an agenda of occupation in the Middle East. And, we continue to walk into his trap and hand him up his best recruitment tool in his efforts to incite hatred and terrorism against the United States.
“What’s worse, President Obama made it clear last night that the troops and resources leaving Iraq will not come home to defend our country or ease our economic woes. They will instead be diverted to Afghanistan, perhaps also Pakistan and, I fear, even Iran.
“From my viewpoint we are the losers in this fool’s errand of endless war. Tragically, this new policy is not one of peace but merely a charade that will severely undermine our national security and continue us down the path to bankruptcy—a threat that we best not long ignore.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 10:46 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,459,609 times
Once again, Paul shows his stark ignorance. The Mission Accomplished sign was for that particular carrier going home because it completed it's mission. Ron Paul is old and clueless.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:50 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,348,935 times
We''ve had troops stationed in the far corners of the world for decades after the conflict was over with out a whimper from anybody. More political grandstanding from both sides.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:51 AM

Actually you would be wrong,if you knew anything about Ron Paul and US troops stationed abroad.

But ignorance IS bliss.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:02 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,016,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Received this from his Facebook page.

“The President’s announcement that all U.S. combat troops have left Iraq is no more believable than the 'Mission Accomplished' declaration was in 2003.
“Once again, we are being told the mission has been accomplished and our brave men and women are coming back home. Though the people are hopeful they remain skeptical, and rightfully so.
“The biggest problem is that success in Iraq is undefinable since the mission was never defined. The reasons given for the invasion were based on misinformation. Now, the war has cost us hundreds of billions of dollars and this has contributed significantly to our economic woes.
“Forty-four hundred Americans are dead, thirty thousand severely wounded, and more than a hundred thousand are suffering from serious health problems related to Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome. This alone should tell us that it was not worth the investment and the needless sacrifice of our young people and the taxpayers.
“It is deceitful to imply we will avoid hostilities with this new policy. We still have to contend with:
  • the 50,000 troops carrying weapons remain in Iraq
  • the 100,000 contractors that remain with more expected to go to Iraq
  • the 9,000 special ops personnel trained in assassinations that remain in Iraq
  • a huge embassy, bigger than the Vatican, that will remain
  • Dozens of military bases that will stay
  • Al Qaeda organizations that did not exist before the war
  • Muqtada al Sadr, a strong nationalist who has gained much political power
  • The fact that Iran benefits tremendously with the Shiites now in power in Iraq and is a close ally of al Sadr
“Osama bin Laden wins by 'proving' that America has an agenda of occupation in the Middle East. And, we continue to walk into his trap and hand him up his best recruitment tool in his efforts to incite hatred and terrorism against the United States.
“What’s worse, President Obama made it clear last night that the troops and resources leaving Iraq will not come home to defend our country or ease our economic woes. They will instead be diverted to Afghanistan, perhaps also Pakistan and, I fear, even Iran.
“From my viewpoint we are the losers in this fool’s errand of endless war. Tragically, this new policy is not one of peace but merely a charade that will severely undermine our national security and continue us down the path to bankruptcy—a threat that we best not long ignore.”
While I usually ignore Mr. Paul's pronouncements, I think he makes some generally good points (some I have no idea about, including the 9,000 special operatives trained in assassination).

Regardless, 50,000 USA soldiers still in Iraq seems like a lot to be left behind after a 'withdrawal'. I bet those in the Middle East do not consider it a withdrawal, but a continuing occupation.

I recall reading about the huge embassy: around 104 acres (same size as the Vatican). More of a fortress than an embassy. Not a place I would like to work at, regardless of size and security measures (I read somewhere that they are having trouble finding people to work in the embassy).

USA people (soldiers and otherwise) will not be safe in Iraq for many a year.

My respect for the bravery of our men and women who continue to enlist in the Armed Forces keeps growing beyond bounds.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:06 AM

46,967 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Of course, there's a difference between what a Congressman can say and what the President can say.

I would not be surprised to learn that President Obama's personal feelings on the Iraq war may match Ron Paul's pretty closely, but it's part of the job to put that sort of thing aside. Obama, after all, consistently argued against the folly in Iraq back when it was a very uncool thing to do.

I have little use for Ron Paul, but on this, his principles are sound, although some of the specifics seem iffy. (9,000 assassins? WTH?)

Old 09-01-2010, 11:07 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,685,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
We''ve had troops stationed in the far corners of the world for decades after the conflict was over with out a whimper from anybody. More political grandstanding from both sides.
Lets see what it has cost us?
What has been the gain?
After we bombed a nation we rebuilt it.

What is the gain in leaving our troops and buildings in iraq.
The constitution does not say tax money should support standing armies in other nations.

This is about controlling a nations via force to support any ideas of bringing democracy to a nation of people who have no interested in it. It is up to their own people to run their lives. PS we went in for Saddam yet we put him there to defeat IRAN back in the 70's.
Yet before that we support the Shah in IRAN.
So which is it political grandstanding on Obama's side or common sense thinking from Ron Paul considering he is looking it from a history lesson.

Peace and commerence will all nations ALLIANCES WITH NONE!
When we are threaten because we are minding our own business you can nuke them until then keep our US tax dollars and weapons out of all other nations and protect our borders, get our of japan, europe and the other 120 countries we are in.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:30 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,864,651 times
Ron Paul has gone against the grain and challenged (rightly so) the statements oft he government. We are no more close to a withdrawal than we were 3 months ago. We have no plans on withdrawing from Iraq. I'm glad he points out the pointlessness of the pronouncement. It is a shame more didn't do it when Bu-ney pushed the war down our throats.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:31 AM

You know if BOTH sides of the coin dislike his opinions he is doing something right....

Old 09-01-2010, 02:34 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
Ron Paul has gone against the grain and challenged (rightly so) the statements oft he government. We are no more close to a withdrawal than we were 3 months ago. We have no plans on withdrawing from Iraq. I'm glad he points out the pointlessness of the pronouncement. It is a shame more didn't do it when Bu-ney pushed the war down our throats.
While I don't always agree I do respect Ron Paul for his commitment to the US Constitution as well as his consistency on the issues. He has the courage to be the lone voice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies