Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 10:29 AM
C.C

2,235 posts, read 2,363,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
;
This is true, but there is a 100% chance that 100% of us will one day wind up at a Dr. office, hospital, nursing home or morgue. If we are not insured the state or the federal government picks up that cost.
Huh? You're not allowed to pay for your care unless you have insurance???

Last edited by C.C; 09-05-2010 at 10:30 AM.. Reason: Fix quote tag
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 10:56 AM

1,609 posts, read 1,079,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
The people who go to the ER for a head cold dont HAVE health insurance, that's why they go there. Poor people don't HAVE money to start a savings plan. Your ideas here don't have any grounding in reality. Are you a libertarian?
Then they shouldn't go to ER, should they! Head colds are not emergency and should be handled at home. How in the world did my generation ever grow up taking care of ourselves at home for all but dire emergencies such as broken bones????

No, I am not libertarian. I grew up when people took responsibility for themselves and did not look to government for anything.

I have always been of the opinion that ANY AND ALL welfare has to be ONLY on the local level. Government should stay out of the welfare business. This is "why" we have such a huge population that "uses" the government instead of taking care of themselves. It would take a book to explain "why" government has really screwed up so much of our population into thinking "someone else" owes them anything. The above is just a very simplistic overview of the problem, the root is so much deeper.

Old 09-05-2010, 11:12 AM

1,609 posts, read 1,079,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
You don't accept your leader's own words? Are you suggesting he is a liar?

Actually, yes!!!!

Old 09-05-2010, 11:20 AM

4,814 posts, read 3,845,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrysda View Post
Then they shouldn't go to ER, should they! Head colds are not emergency and should be handled at home. How in the world did my generation ever grow up taking care of ourselves at home for all but dire emergencies such as broken bones????

No, I am not libertarian. I grew up when people took responsibility for themselves and did not look to government for anything.

I have always been of the opinion that ANY AND ALL welfare has to be ONLY on the local level. Government should stay out of the welfare business. This is "why" we have such a huge population that "uses" the government instead of taking care of themselves. It would take a book to explain "why" government has really screwed up so much of our population into thinking "someone else" owes them anything. The above is just a very simplistic overview of the problem, the root is so much deeper.
Exactly! We had a huge plant that stopped the ER visits being covered for things like "head colds". It's stupid and a senseless waste of money. People were going just because it was paid for and not because it was necessary.

Such a medically dependent society!

Old 09-05-2010, 11:34 AM

30,069 posts, read 18,674,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
So are you saying that people (medicaid) would rather go to the ER and wait for 5 or 6 hours than go to the doctor and wait for one hour?

Yes, pretty much.

Most of the Medicaid patients are very poorly compliant and account for nearly all of our "no shows". We no longer take any new medicaid patients, as they are just too unreliable. When one makes an appointment, depending on the practice, the appointment has to be made a few weeks in advance. They just either forget about it, or are sleeping.

Most practices do not take "walk ins" and there are "urgent care" areas which are more convenient and faster for smaller problems not requiring hospital admissions. Oddly, most medicaid patients do not even take advantage of this option.

When we schedule procedures or surgery, I have had Medicaid patients cancel at the last minute, as they are required to pay a $3 copay and refuse to do so. $3!!!!!! Again, this is why we are essentially weeding all the Medicaid patients out of our practice, as they are very difficult to deal with.

Old 09-05-2010, 11:38 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Yes, pretty much.

Most of the Medicaid patients are very poorly compliant and account for nearly all of our "no shows". We no longer take any new medicaid patients, as they are just too unreliable. When one makes an appointment, depending on the practice, the appointment has to be made a few weeks in advance. They just either forget about it, or are sleeping.

Most practices do not take "walk ins" and there are "urgent care" areas which are more convenient and faster for smaller problems not requiring hospital admissions. Oddly, most medicaid patients do not even take advantage of this option.

When we schedule procedures or surgery, I have had Medicaid patients cancel at the last minute, as they are required to pay a $3 copay and refuse to do so. $3!!!!!! Again, this is why we are essentially weeding all the Medicaid patients out of our practice, as they are very difficult to deal with.
Yep, the whine about the low co-pay but are willing to more than fork out double that for a single pack of cigarettes. Priorities!

Your experience echoes that of the office in which I worked 15 yrs ago.

Old 09-05-2010, 12:15 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.C View Post
Of course you realize that everyone's premiums are even now being raised to cover the cost of paying for people who are already sick?

Oh, and that the availability of coverage allows people to go without insurance until they actually need it?

It's kinda like letting you buy car insurance after the accident...
Where does this drivel come from? Did Rush or Sean or Glenn say it? People buy insurance to help pay for their health care bills.

Under the present system, some people with "pre-existing conditions" can't get insurance at all! I'll use my daughter as an example. She had melanoma at age 14. Should that keep her from being able to get ins. the rest of her life? (She's now 23.)

Old 09-05-2010, 12:23 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
Exactly! We had a huge plant that stopped the ER visits being covered for things like "head colds". It's stupid and a senseless waste of money. People were going just because it was paid for and not because it was necessary.

Such a medically dependent society!
A plant? Was it a begonia?

Yes, insured people too take advantage of their ins. sometimes. Many plans charge a larger co-pay for ER visits, another way to stop these visits. I think doctors offices (and I work in one) should do a better job educating people that there is a doc on-call 24 hrs a day and unless it is a life or limb threatening emergency, that person should be called first.

Old 09-05-2010, 12:46 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,352,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Huh? "Administration" is not "paying." Your insurance company administers your health ins plan.
Ever here of being self insured????

Old 09-05-2010, 12:53 PM
C.C

2,235 posts, read 2,363,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Where does this drivel come from? Did Rush or Sean or Glenn say it? People buy insurance to help pay for their health care bills.

Under the present system, some people with "pre-existing conditions" can't get insurance at all! I'll use my daughter as an example. She had melanoma at age 14. Should that keep her from being able to get ins. the rest of her life? (She's now 23.)
You think the average health of the pool can be lowered without increasing costs??? I guess there is a free lunch after all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies