Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2010, 12:01 AM

3,485 posts, read 7,311,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckDriver33 View Post
A friend of mine, his neighbor, gets $800 food stamps and $800 cash and all 5 of her kids get free medical. He has seen her paperwork. She has no income, sounds like your family has income, thats the difference in the pile.
Okay just envision this scenario for saving the government massive money.

Get everyone to live in a central location. Cheap rent, cheap child education and communal childcare. Residents help each other out and support each other. It would be more efficient for the govt to run this type of facility than to give each and every family $1600+. Can start training members of this community to take care of each other (i.e. the disabled, elderly, and the children), as educators, nurses, and (other skills). Can start paying them some lower wages for such services rendered. Then when people are ready to move out, they have the best possible chance to succeed.

The alternative is to have the government reimburse professional companies to take care of all the people who cannot take care of themselves... resulting in inefficiencies and high cost. Plus people won't want to better themselves knowing that they can get a free ride. Gotta make them work together!

BTW this is not a "forced program" or anything like that... totally optional for people who want to help each other help themselves. Meanwhile it's time to trim the fat on all the other welfare.

I've seen people who want to work and be self-sufficient. And I've seen people milk the system without shame. This will help separate the wheat from the chaff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 12:33 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,239,718 times
In defense of the OP, some areas of the country are suffering from extreme unemployment. The REAL unemployment rate in my neck of the woods is 33%.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:34 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Lets do the math:

Thousands of jobs = 13 million jobs
That makes no sense whatsoever... seriously, my brain hurts from trying to decipher your post. Typo, I hope.

Old 09-10-2010, 08:22 AM

613 posts, read 960,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
That makes no sense whatsoever... seriously, my brain hurts from trying to decipher your post. Typo, I hope.
No i quoted the wrong poster. lifelongMOgal keeps stating that there are thousands of jobs available on the job boards. My point was there's 13 million outta work which doesn't equal the thousands that she is saying is available.

//www.city-data.com/forum/work-...mcdonalds.html

Here's a situation where for every one job available, 20 are applying for it. And these are minimum wage jobs. Ya theres plenty of jobs out there lifelongMogal and I bet these were on your job boards.

Old 09-10-2010, 08:48 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
I have a science PhD and I would need to be retrained to go into another profession. A PhD is highly specialized training and does not imply that one is more adaptable than another person. It's not as if I am so stupid I can't learn another skill, but if I had 2 kids and no cash I could benefit from getting a break (cheap, communal living and child care) and spend time learning/retraining.

There are lack of jobs, sure... worse in certain sectors than others. What if they were to retrain for medical physics? Taking care of the ailing generation? I don't have any friends who have remained unemployed in the science, tech, and medical sector. These are jobs that take training or adaptation. Now if people who have no previous training would want to get into technology fields, they can definitely benefit from retraining. Your MS's are the exception to the case (and they certainly get less overqualification discrimination than the PhDs do).

There are always labor forces needed around the country for fixing broken infrastructure (that would lead to much more costly problems later on) and other such random things. There could be a whole new environmental clean-up and renewable energy sector so that in 20 years we won't have to rely on foreign sources. The trick is in where we invest this labor to benefit everyone in the long-run.

The alternative is to have people sit on their asses waiting for magical jobs to come to them... wasting manpower by the hour!!! While China is cranking out tons of infrastructure and new technologies. Anyways this is just an idea... still need to think about the logistics some more.
When I was in nursing school, I learned that my skills were transferrable to any nursing job, and that I was capable of learning for a specific job, what I didn't already know. For ex, at one job I was asked if I knew how to do EKGs, and I replied, "No, but I could learn". I think I could apply my critical thinking skills to a lot of jobs, actually. Thus the basis for my original statement. Certainly by the time one gets to the PhD level, one should be intelligent enough to be able to transfer some skills/knowledge to a different job. In fact, my DH has a PhD in physics, and he has done a number of different things in his career, all very different than his PhD research (radiation damage), without going to a "retraining school".

Old 09-10-2010, 08:52 AM

646 posts, read 393,990 times
what an active imagination you have. 401k's only lost virtual money. money that was never real money. the only people who lost anything real, are people who for some reason, bought a ton of stock at the peak. the 401k's weren't lost, they just returned to pre peak levels where they belonged. however, if barry the wonder idiot raises the capital gains tax, that will truly gut 401k's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Are you kidding? The 401ks got GUTTED under Bush when the DOW went from 14k to 7500 almost overnight.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:41 AM

4,049 posts, read 2,742,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnepler View Post
I got some extra big boxes if you need a place to live.. In case barry o forgets to pay you mortgage bill.
The only way to reply to those such as yourself is to say, People like you make me sick & you should have to walk in someone else's shoes first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
Ahhh. . . a condo!
YOU are no better with a response like this. You think it's a joking matter when so many are out of work & kids are going hungry?
Walk in somebody else's shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Get together, put what little money you have at risk, and start a business. Stop waiting around for something to happen and make it happen.

AHHH what "little bit of money" ?

Anyone who has not worked for two years (except for illness) is lazy. Where's your pride?
Again, another reply from an great American.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGACK View Post
If you're out of work for 99+ plus weeks it's by choice.
Astonishing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
There are jobs in America for people who are really willing to work. You can apply right online. You 99+ers should fill these jobs. I think you really just want a handout. Prove me wrong, take your entire movement and fill these jobs! A godsend? God helps those who help themselves.
TAKEOURJOBS.ORG
Quote:
3,000 apply for Dayton police posts | The Columbus Dispatch

The article doesn't state how many jobs are available. This is an example of what is going on in every industry or occupation right now with the exception of a few (health care). And job boards are included. For every job on those boards, there's 6 people applying for it. Some people will never ever get it.
I can just bet that if the shoe was on the other foot,ALL of these responses would be completely different.
I would also bet these are the people who would walk by a homeless family w/ kids without a second glance.
Everyone of these responses shows how completely self-centered most people are unless it happens to them. Some of my fellow Americans never cease to amaze me.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:56 AM

613 posts, read 960,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
The only way to reply to those such as yourself is to say, People like you make me sick & you should have to walk in someone else's shoes first.

YOU are no better with a response like this. You think it's a joking matter when so many are out of work & kids are going hungry?
Walk in somebody else's shoes.

Again, another reply from an great American.

Astonishing!

I can just bet that if the shoe was on the other foot,ALL of these responses would be completely different.
I would also bet these are the people who would walk by a homeless family w/ kids without a second glance.
Everyone of these responses shows how completely self-centered most people are unless it happens to them. Some of my fellow Americans never cease to amaze me.
And what part of my opinion which were just facts, didn't you like? If you think your opinion is going to stop me from stating the facts, you sadly mistaken. And by the way, I have 3 homeless friends that are living with me right now. They were until i found out about them. How many homeless people are living with you. You come on here like your the forum queen, not happening.

Old 09-10-2010, 11:15 AM

3,424 posts, read 5,976,319 times
I just call it what it is: Both the unemployed and the business owners are selfish. The unemployed obviously either cannot find work or refuse to work for the wages being offered and continue to sap money from tax paying citizens.

Business owners just sit back and whine because they cant find people who will accept the paltry wages they are trying to pay people as they take advantage of job seekers in this lame economy. If they want the unemployed to "get off their asses" and all of that other gibberish they spout, then business owners will have to get off their asses and invest in training employees or offer decent wages. Otherwise they can expect more and more taxes to be taken out of their profits as they outsource jobs and try to undercut job seekers.

The longer businesses refuse to hire people for livable wages or invest in training for new employees, the more people are going to vote for whichever party keeps the benefits rolling in, and the more taxes those business owners will keep paying. Thats just how the cycle goes.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:46 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,810,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Are you kidding? The 401ks got GUTTED under Bush when the DOW went from 14k to 7500 almost overnight.

What caused the Dow to drop in half ?

I'll give you a little hint....FINACE.

Have you forgot already who was in charge of that ?

Frank and Dodd!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies