Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Only based on the following, who are you more likely to vote for
Someone who is more folksy, common man/woman, small town type of candidate 17 65.38%
Someone who is well educated candidate from an "elite" school such as Harvard, Yale, etc... 9 34.62%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 07:31 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
I assume by your definition of "folksy" and "common" you are referring to George W Bush. If that's the case, Bush was educated at an "elite" school, so I'm not sure what the point of this thread is.

Personally, I think there is a problem when we equate Ivy league with "best choice". Having a great education means nothing without experience and social skills, especially when we're talking about being the President of the world's most powerful country.

I generally trust the person with a good educational background, and years of real experience over some "highly intelligent" ivy league elite with little to no related experience.
Harry Truman was our last non college educated President.

This just seems like a silly thread premise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 07:32 PM

301 posts, read 403,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Oh so someone who comes from a small town and is "folksy" can't be educated and smart. Where do people come up with this stuff?

I've got news for you, most of our forefathers, who made this country what it is today were from small towns and would be considered "folksy!"
Sarah Palin. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9go38MgZ4w8

Old 09-06-2010, 07:34 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,719,215 times
Shouldn't this just say, "Would you prefer a New England Liberal, or someone who has actually done something with their lives."

Ronald Reagan was the last President that we've had who wasn't in the Ivy League, and it worked out pretty well with him. Obama went the extra mile and indoctrinated at his own school, and he's just pitiful.

So I'll take the less educated person who isn't a narcissist, over the educated one who is in it only to make a greater monument to themselves.

Old 09-06-2010, 07:37 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,530,058 times
I can't vote in such a poorly thought out poll.
I look for someone intelligent who is honorable, trustworthy and has values and a vision for our country similar to mine. Whether they are "folksy" or from a small town doesn't exactly come into the equation. lol!!

Old 09-06-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound47 View Post
Shouldn't this just say, "Would you prefer a New England Liberal, or someone who has actually done something with their lives."

Ronald Reagan was the last President that we've had who wasn't in the Ivy League, and it worked out pretty well with him. Obama went the extra mile and indoctrinated at his own school, and he's just pitiful.

So I'll take the less educated person who isn't a narcissist, over the educated one who is in it only to make a greater monument to themselves.
Reagan, the man who created more federal offices and jobs than any of the last 4 Presidents, including the current one, increased the federal debt more than any President (percentages), including the current one, and the list of his FAILURES goes on and on.

I can't decide if I find it funny, or extremely sad that Reagan has become the epitome of GOP Presidency, when he was far from a real conservative, and could have been one of the worst Presidents that we've had out of the last 30 years. His spending like a "drunken sailor" has lead to many of the economic problems we've had today.

Was Ronald Reagan an Even Worse President Than George W. Bush? | News & Politics | AlterNet

Old 09-06-2010, 07:42 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,530,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I can't decide if I find it funny, or extremely sad that Reagan has become the epitome of GOP Presidency, when he was far from a real conservative, and could have been one of the worst Presidents that we've had out of the last 30 years.
No, worst president would be Jimmy Carter but Obama is trying hard to take over the #1 spot!

Old 09-06-2010, 07:47 PM

Quote:
No, worst president would be Jimmy Carter but Obama is trying hard to take over the #1 spot!
Carter was a horrible administrator, but Obama has accomplished a hell of a lot in his first two years as President. He is now going to position himself for re-election in 2012, mark my words. He is following in the footsteps of "great" Presidents who came before him.

Step A

Get voted into office on Change (see Ronald Reagan and Bill Clinton)

Step B

Pass all of the legislation you really want, thats unpopular, in the first two years

Step C

After you lose the house and maybe the Senate to the opposition, you become "bi partisan" because the American people don't have an attention span of over a year at the most.

Step D

Run on a platform of "bi partisan" President, and get re-elected.

Reagan was a terrible President, just read the link I posted above. While it is biased, it does raise considerably good points.

Old 09-06-2010, 07:55 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,448,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthBeautyGoodness View Post
Only based on education, who are you more likely to vote for, someone more folksy who appears to be more of a common man or woman, or someone educated at one of the "elite" schools of America, i.e. Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Brown, Berkeley etc?
Well, let's see. Looking at absolutely no other factor other than education, I voted for the second choice - the "elite" university. Here's why.

You make a point of offering a choice of someone educated at an "elite" university. But the other choice - the folksy candidate - doesn't say anything at all about that person's education.

So, the only logical decision I can make that follows your requirement that it is "only based on education" is the only choice where education is described.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:07 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Content of character and history of actions behind the message is what earns my vote, not an empty suit of clothes.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:26 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,533,837 times
Quote:
last I checked it was George W.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies