Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 06:38 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,850,710 times

Advertisements

I have some "friends" who watch FoxNews. My only concern (it sure isn't fear) is that most of them have gotten DEMONSTRABLY DUMBER over the past few years. They take everything that O'Reilly, Hannity and Beck shovel at them and swallow it whole. They're typical of the people who carry signs saying "keep your government meddling out of my Medicare".

I used to discuss books and movies with these folks but most of them haven't read a book in a few years. They're all convinced that it was Obama who, back in the summer of '08 originated, pushed through congress and then signed the TARP. They're concerned NOW about federal spending but they were singing the praises of the medicare prescription program, the Iraq invasion and the Bush tax cuts.

BTW, most of these guys earn south of $70K per year but are convinced that they're getting rich off the Bush tax cuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 06:40 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,482,428 times
I don't fear Fox News. I look down on it like any elite liberal would!

I couldn't resist.

Old 09-12-2010, 06:45 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,382,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
I don't fear Fox News. I look down on it like any elite liberal would!

I couldn't resist.
Yeah, most of us elite liberals just see such media as Fox News as common barf. The communists among us see it as nonexistent nonsense.

Cheers.

Old 09-12-2010, 06:47 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,482,428 times
Quote:
Originally posted by golfgod
I have some "friends" who watch FoxNews. My only concern (it sure isn't fear) is that most of them have gotten DEMONSTRABLY DUMBER over the past few years. They take everything that O'Reilly, Hannity and Beck shovel at them and swallow it whole. They're typical of the people who carry signs saying "keep your government meddling out of my Medicare".

I used to discuss books and movies with these folks but most of them haven't read a book in a few years. They're all convinced that it was Obama who, back in the summer of '08 originated, pushed through congress and then signed the TARP. They're concerned NOW about federal spending but they were singing the praises of the medicare prescription program, the Iraq invasion and the Bush tax cuts.

BTW, most of these guys earn south of $70K per year but are convinced that they're getting rich off the Bush tax cuts.
You know what's interesting, golfgod, is that liberals don't hang on every word that Olbermann or Maddow say, but many conservatives take Beck and Hannity's word as gospel. Some conservatives think for themselves, but they're definitely in the minority. They're also the ones who don't watch Fox. Interesting correlation, methinks.

Old 09-12-2010, 06:52 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,398,970 times
Why would anyone in their right mind be afraid of O'Reilly, Beck or Hannity. None of these guys have served in the military. The only concern I would have is that they would break into my house at night to try on my wife's underwear.

Old 09-12-2010, 06:55 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baxendale View Post
Why would anyone in their right mind be afraid of O'Reilly, Beck or Hannity. None of these guys have served in the military. The only concern I would have is that they would break into my house at night to try on my wife's underwear.
I fear Beck and Hannity like I fear an idiot with a bullhorn in the middle of a crowded room yelling "BOMB!"

O'Reilly, at least, is some what level headed at times. I find him very hypocritical on a lot of issues, and he obviously has bias, but he isn't nearly as bad as the other two idiots on Fox in the afternoon.

Old 09-12-2010, 08:19 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,634,206 times
When I posted the thread I just used " feared " as a way to get attention. but the numbers of people watching Fox News is way above the other stations. Personally I go to the foreign news to get the different views of todays news. With the internet I can check both sides of the story before I make up my mind. Anyone who depends on broadcast news as fact needs a reality check. It is sad that you can't get honest reporting of the conditions in the US. Just check out the economy of the US by other countries reports, it's a big difference in what is being reported and the truth of the matter.

Old 09-12-2010, 09:55 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,574,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
i have some "friends" who watch foxnews. My only concern (it sure isn't fear) is that most of them have gotten demonstrably dumber over the past few years. They take everything that o'reilly, hannity and beck shovel at them and swallow it whole. They're typical of the people who carry signs saying "keep your government meddling out of my medicare".

I used to discuss books and movies with these folks but most of them haven't read a book in a few years. They're all convinced that it was obama who, back in the summer of '08 originated, pushed through congress and then signed the tarp. They're concerned now about federal spending but they were singing the praises of the medicare prescription program, the iraq invasion and the bush tax cuts.

Btw, most of these guys earn south of $70k per year but are convinced that they're getting rich off the bush tax cuts.
if theese guys who watch fox are not reading books you liberals must be watching glen beck because everytime he mentions a book it goes of the charts in sales. Do liberals run out and buy a book simply because glen becks says so. Maybe liberals just want to look and sound smart its all an illusion liberals are dummer then dum!

Old 09-12-2010, 10:34 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,850,710 times
gizmo wrote;
Quote:
if theese guys who watch fox are not reading books you liberals must be watching glen beck because everytime he mentions a book it goes of the charts in sales.
Sorry, "Fun With Dick and Jane" and "See Spot Run" were best sellers when I was 5 years old. Buying a book because Beck mentions it isn't going to improve anyone's mind. Even if they can read, a steady diet of Ann Coulter's and Laura Ingram's scribblings will just make them dumber, and put more money in the pockets of the authors. Then the authors will get on Fox and complain about how their taxes are going up and the poor suckers who "read" the books will chime in with how unfair that is.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:33 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gysmo View Post
everytime he mentions a book it goes of the charts in sales.
That's appalling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies