Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 09:46 AM

12 posts, read 13,604 times

Advertisements

How do you explain your beliefs to someone when they feel different than you? My boyfriend and I have been living together for 2 years. Recently his 18 year old daughter moved in with us because things didnt work out with her boyfriend. A month later, she finds out shes pregnant. My boyfriend tells that she needs to consider an abortion because he doesnt want to raise another child, and she certainly cant either. She already has a 2 year old that she can barely care for. Well she ended up making an appointment at a clinic but it ends up that my boyfriend has to take her because no one else will. He said he doesnt want to but he will so it gets done. He asked me to go with him and of course I said I cant..come to find out now, shes taking the abortion pill and will be aborting the embryo at home. How do I explain that I cant be around that? What its going to come down to is either she goes somewhere else to do it or Im going to have to leave for like 2 days until its complete. Either way, Im going to look like the fool because Im the one making an issue about it. Should I really have to be put in this situation without even being talked to about it and how I feel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 09:52 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,863,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by korerika View Post
How do you explain your beliefs to someone when they feel different than you? My boyfriend and I have been living together for 2 years. Recently his 18 year old daughter moved in with us because things didnt work out with her boyfriend. A month later, she finds out shes pregnant. My boyfriend tells that she needs to consider an abortion because he doesnt want to raise another child, and she certainly cant either. She already has a 2 year old that she can barely care for. Well she ended up making an appointment at a clinic but it ends up that my boyfriend has to take her because no one else will. He said he doesnt want to but he will so it gets done. He asked me to go with him and of course I said I cant..come to find out now, shes taking the abortion pill and will be aborting the embryo at home. How do I explain that I cant be around that? What its going to come down to is either she goes somewhere else to do it or Im going to have to leave for like 2 days until its complete. Either way, Im going to look like the fool because Im the one making an issue about it. Should I really have to be put in this situation without even being talked to about it and how I feel?
No he should have asked you what you thought about being there. He is assuming you think like him which is an issue in most relationships.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:58 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,764,308 times
I don't see where you have a problem?

What exactly can't you do? is it you don't want to have to help her if she becomes ill or has complications or that you are anti-abortion?

If it's a belief problem you have then don't worry about it because you aren't he one who's performing it or having it.

If it's a problem with having to nurse her if needed then make it clear you want her brought to a hospital if she has complications or gets sick.

Is he asking you to be there for help or support?

Old 09-18-2010, 10:01 AM

1,309 posts, read 1,362,561 times
I would say that you can either tolerate it or as you said step out for a few days. It seems as if they both have their minds made up enough to follow through with the pill.
I would suggest that your voice have an equal say so if anything like this ever happens again. It wasn't right to simply assume you were on board but when a traumatic event comes along people are often reactive than proactive.
I'm sure it’s a big deal to you but it is her body and it is also a big deal to her, a choice she (and your boy friend) will have to live with.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:05 AM

Sorry, I should've made myself clear...I'm anti-abortion. I understand that it their choice on what they are doing, but I should'nt have to be dealing with it in my own home...that's what hospitals and clinics are for.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:10 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,573,373 times
All I can say is pack your bags and leave for two or three days. This is between him and his daughter. She has the right to abort at home. You have the right to stay for it or leave. Choice is yours.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:14 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,338,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by korerika View Post
Sorry, I should've made myself clear...I'm anti-abortion. I understand that it their choice on what they are doing, but I should'nt have to be dealing with it in my own home...that's what hospitals and clinics are for.
Your boyfriend knows how you feel about abortion and is having his daughter abort in your home, in spite of your feelings?

Old 09-18-2010, 10:22 AM

I should also say that she doesn't permanently live here....she's only staying with us temporarily until she finds a place. All of her stuff is in storage and she only has clothes here for herself and son.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:25 AM

Ray1945....I don't think he knows what exactly happens when you take the abortion pill. I was there when she explained it to him and she made it sound like all you do is take a pill and you expel it. Basically sounding like something similar to having a bowel movement. So to him, it sounds like no big deal.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:31 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
ultimately what you decide is up to you, but if it were my house, the SO being the one living with me, not the other way around, i would put my foot down and tell them this needs to be done in a hospital or clinic.

if i were the one living in the SO's house, i would tell them i cant stay while this happens, and move out for a few days to a week. if the SO gets upset at my views, then so be it, i would remind them that while i cant stop the abortion, i dont have to be around when it happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies