Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2010, 02:06 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,100,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Actually, English is my first language, just one of many I now know. There is nothing wrong with learning other languages that are prevalent in your area, and there is no language barrier to being successful. I know people that have opened tortillerias and tiendas, and they're doing just fine. And they do prefer that you speak Spanish within their walls, but then again, they do primarily serve the Hispanic population. When I've gone in there, I stand out--as a white guy in a predominantly Hispanic customer base.
You never respond to my points/comments; you only stick to your talking points. Why won't you address what I wrote?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
What do you know about the English Only movement? And why is it necessary for everyone to speak a single language? Do you advocate ignorance, or greater knowledge?

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Someone who speaks two languages? Bilingual. Someone who speaks only one language? American.
Yet you keep saying that it's "racist" to insist on immigrants learning English, thus they too can only speak one language. You're contradicting yourself in your own post.

Old 09-28-2010, 02:09 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
On a side note, you completely ignored my point about keeping hispanics economically suppressed by not wanting them learn English. You're all but guaranteeing that they'll never get ahead.

Do you mean this one? I'll address it directly: I completely disagree with you.

Old 09-28-2010, 02:12 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
OK, when did this campaign start up? I have conservative friends who now believe that all liberals are racists and that the liberals started welfare to keep black people relying on the government in order to keep them in place, and to destroy black families. Is this some recent Feaux News tactic to smear Democrats?

I understand the "give a man a fish and he eats for one day, teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime" theory. But back when welfare first started, you could have taught a black man to fish, then the next day when he went to buy a fishing pole, they would have kicked him out of the "whites only" sporting goods store. Seems to me that this "theory" is rather simplistic and overlooks all the reasons why black Americans, as a group, have higher poverty rates than whites. And if it was used against black people, why have white people also been on welfare?

The only openly racist people I've ever known were very conservative. But I would NEVER try to label all conservatives as racist.

You make some good points, but it's not just black people the Democrats want dependent on the hand of government. They want everyone to be forced to kiss their ring, and in that regard, they are a big tent and an arrogant bunch besides. That's why they hate, and I mean hate, the Tea Party movement. In fact, the only people they hate more than Tea Partiers are black Tea Partiers. It's easy enough to see why too. We'll have none of their generosity with our money or generational deficit thievery either.

I would say the issue of school vouchers is also a definite point of contention since they are wildly popular with black parents who want a better opportunity for their children than is provided by the failed public school system. The soft racism of lower expectations for black kids coupled with liberal do-goodery could come crashing down when black kids perform equally well with white kids in the schools where the white kids go thanks to vouchers. The whole leftist social engineering program will be put at risk when black kids succeed without points added to their cutting scores and that really gives liberals nightmares. In fact, when black people and other minority groups fully integrate themselves into the greater society and succeeded without special help, who'll need a liberal at all?

That's why they are now so committed to bringing in as many illegal aliens as possible. Then they may continue to sit on their taxpayer funded benevolent thrones dispensing justice for the downtrodden, but that doesn't help them assimilate. That's good for liberals, since they will have a new permanent underclass to grant their nefarious aid to, but it's bad for those stuck at the bottom of society because liberals are lost without an underclass and will oppose them developing self-reliance any way they can.

Liberal racism is the worst kind. It is disguised as respect for others, but it is really contempt. Liberals believe blacks and other people of color are genuinely inferior and incapable of rising to the level of whites on their own. They grant special advantages, allegedly to compensate for rampant white racism, but the end result is minority kids who reach adulthood unchallenged, uneducated and unqualified. As young adults, they have been taught through countless practical lessons (blacks need special help)that whites are separate and superior. That is the real fruit of liberal racism.

Old 09-28-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Yet you keep saying that it's "racist" to insist on immigrants learning English, thus they too can only speak one language. You're contradicting yourself in your own post.
Many of them can speak English perfectly well. But they should be able to have their own language available also.

Currently, our government DOES work in a wide variety of languages. When my room mate went to her disability hearing, there was a poster on the wall with more than 40 languages on it, which translated the statement in English, that if you needed a translator, then one would be made available to you.

Old 09-28-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
On a side note, you completely ignored my point about keeping hispanics economically suppressed by not wanting them learn English. You're all but guaranteeing that they'll never get ahead.

Do you mean this one? I'll address it directly: I completely disagree with you.

Really, how many Fortune 500 CEO's can't speak English? You're all but guaranteeing that they remain at the bottom of the economic ladder. Do you not think that Hispanics are capable of learning English,you think they're too stupid? Plus I made several other points as well; care to address them?

Old 09-28-2010, 02:22 PM

I think they can learn it--but that they do NOT have to use it to succeed financially. As I've said, I've known business owners that operate predominantly in Spanish. They have Spanish speaking employees, and Spanish speaking customers.

Do you demand that a guy who runs a shop in Chinatown speak only in English, even though his employees and customers speak Chinese?

Old 09-28-2010, 04:49 PM

785 posts, read 619,481 times
Quote:
It is a race tied together by a common language which some seek to destroy, denying them the right to speak their own language.
Again, it is not a race, it is a mixed race. Again, no one is denying them the right to speak their language. If a law was enacted in America saying that they can't speak their language, then you would be correct. Can you point to such a law in the US? What the US is trying to do is make sure they ALSO speak English.

I see the source of the problem...you dont think Hispanic people can do two things at once!

Old 09-28-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtruth View Post
TK...I won't tire of this. Busting your arguements is so much fun. In fact, I've gotten private "reputation" comments from it. Here we go!

YOU:
racism=discrimination.
ME:
Right and wrong. Racism is just ONE form of discrimination. For a quick logic lesson (did you really go to college? This is basic logic, even math!), ALL racism is discrimination, but NOT all discrimination is racism. Defined, for you:
if a Frenchman doesn't like an Italian, it is not racism, as Italians are not a seperate race, they are an ethnicity. If a German doesn't like a Jew, it is not racism, as Judaism isn't a race, it is a religion. get it? I know you don't, because you dont want to.

YOU:
You don't think they're a race, even though the government does, there are identifiable characteristics of said race.
ME:
No, there are identifiable charasteristics of said MIXED race, hence, ethnicity.

YOU:
Hence, you probably don't see the racism and discrimination against them that does exist.
ME:
I answered that question, remember? YOu even acknoweldged it:

Originally Posted by speakingtruth
I think it's time for a ..... RE-POST!

Oh yes...your reading comprehension is not too good. I said this:

"Hispanics are an ETHNICITY. They are the blending of Whites, Blacks, and Native Americans. Of course they can be the subject of discrimination, which is IRRELEVANT to their status as a race. Can you
provide a qoute where I said they can not be discriminated against?"

YOU (posted on 9/20 at 10:03 AM):
"For the record, I had not seen this reply from you when I said you haven't taken a stand one way or the other. This post is the only one inwhich you admit that Hispanics (which the government said is a race) can be discriminated against."

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...t-what-13.html

Wow. So, you heard me say that, or you didn't? Your tactics are typical Leftie: never admit the truth, never back up your assertions, and play the race card with no facts when the true facts go against you. Oh, the above qoute wasn't the first or only time I said Hispanics can't be discriminated against, its just the first one you admitted to seeing. Oh yeah, its also IRRELEVANT TO THE TOPIC.

YOU:
But, hey, it's okay because they're not like you. Why should we have tolerance or respect for other people? Logically?
ME:
Who isn't like me? ALL Hispanics? So, you do know right, that by assigning a PERSONAL characterstic to an entire group of people, that makes you a bigot. If said group of people is a race, then, you are a racist. Oh yes, dont even get me started on logic, you have been handled so bad in this thread I'm almost embarrased for you.
TK, are you going to address this?

Old 09-28-2010, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Why is that a "problem"? What is wrong with learning multiple languages to communicate with others? Did you know that Switzerland has FOUR national languages? Or that some parts of Canada have two languages in common use? There is nothing--nothing--wrong with that.
Do you know you just contradicted yourself? I said:

YOU:
But no one seems to have a problem with anyone but the Spanish language users.
ME:
Because Spanish is the only langauge where it has become a NATIONAL, not regional, problem in which of its users do not speak English.

and then you said:
"Why is that a "problem"? What is wrong with learning multiple languages to communicate with others? Did you know that Switzerland has FOUR national languages? Or that some parts of Canada have two languages in common use? There is nothing--nothing--wrong with that"

Again, re-read the post, try and think about what the poster is saying, and THEN formulate a response. Notice the part, in which I bolded, where I said its a problem IF THEY DO NOT SPEAK ENGLISH. You then tried to assign an arguement to me which I did not make. In other words, that its a problem that they speak more than one language. Son...thats the problem, THEY DON'T. The issue is that they only speak ONE language...Spanish! You just contradicted yourself, in your own post (as another poster noted about a different post from you).

I've said this before, you are either not too intelligent, or, you THINK you are getting one over on conservatives. The sad truth for you is, you are only making your side look worse than it did at the start of the thread. INdependent voters reading this do pay attention to the culture wars. You help our side win. Its because of that that I keep posting here, and I hope you do too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies