Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2011, 08:51 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,683,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Bashing Christians or Catholics is nothing new in the media but it's time we started shining a light on the hypocrisy of the left who preach religious tolerance while stabbing Christianity in the eye. Post all Christianphobia opinion news articles and TV segments here to expose the media's ignorance and hatred of a truly peaceful religion.

Jake Diliberto: Crazed Christians: Two Lifesized Looney Tunes

disclaimer for libnuts: invoking Timothy McVeigh won't work.
Christians generally are peaceful but seem to like to create or have laws be presented in congress of which will inflict changes in society that ignore the individuals rights in our constitution. Everything from what is on TV or music and or film or in our school system. While public schools are just that religion has no reason to be a founding base in the child education as is any other religion or ideology. I would prefer facts and learning and teaching.
The media is basically at critical thinking group who in most cases doesn't understand religion and the thinking that comes from the christian right.
Frankly I can't stand either one of them.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:56 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,208,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Bashing Christians or Catholics is nothing new in the media but it's time we started shining a light on the hypocrisy of the left who preach religious tolerance while stabbing Christianity in the eye. Post all Christianphobia opinion news articles and TV segments here to expose the media's ignorance and hatred of a truly peaceful religion.

Jake Diliberto: Crazed Christians: Two Lifesized Looney Tunes

disclaimer for libnuts: invoking Timothy McVeigh won't work.
the really simple answer is that christians continually try to force their morality on others. whether it's alcohol or drugs, prostitution or gambling, they push their weight around. what they don't realize is that people are tired of this and will fight back. religion would do best to try and convice people of their morality, not force it through legislation.

peaceful religion. one obviously hasen't studied the history or read the bible: http://spot.colorado.edu/~huemer/biblequotes.htm

Old 03-11-2011, 09:15 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Bedford View Post
There is nothing logical or sensible about atheism.
I also think it's funny how liberal atheists will defend Muslims but attack Christians.
It is always funny to see an opinion overflowing with emotions and complaining about logic. Go outside the box and look at the situation you detest from a different angle. In a country where the majority is Muslim (or Hindu), it is fully expected that atheists and all but the fundamentalists will stand for Christians and other minorities. The threat of oppression on religious grounds is greatest from the majority. This is exactly why the founders and contemporary intellectuals were specific about Christianity more than about any other religion. Quote:

"During almost fifteen centuries has the legal establishment of Christianity been on trial. What have been its fruits? More or less in all places, pride and indolence in the Clergy, ignorance and servility in the laity, in both, superstition, bigotry and persecution."
- James Madison (1785)

It is not that James Madison hated Christianity but that it was the majority religion he (and others) saw a threat of it influencing the government and thereby being oppressive to the freedoms of non-Christians. In fact, he suggested something along the lines to various sects within Christianity as well, that if one had too much reach, it would surely try to suppress others. In fact, Jefferson also had something to say along the lines.

"The first settlers in this country were emigrants from England, of the English church, just at a point of time when it was flushed with complete victory over the religious of all other persuasions. Possessed, as they became, of the powers of making, administering, and executing the laws, they showed equal intolerance in this country with their Presbyterian brethren, who had emigrated to the northern government. The poor Quakers were flying from persecution in England. They cast their eyes on these new countries as asylums of civil and religious freedom; but they found them free only for the reigning sect."
- Thomas Jefferson (1782)

Do you think logic could be associated with these two significant personalities from America’s foundation?

Old 03-11-2011, 01:45 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
Is that some sort of veiled threat or something? Do I wish for the end of religion? No, I'm not a wisher I'm a do-er. I spread the...er "gospel" so to speak whenever the opportunity arises. I think I've planted a few good seeds and turned on some light bulbs.
Personally, I think atheist should practice what they preach.
It also, doesn't surprise me in the least that the 'being careful for what one wishes for comment', would go up and over their heads.
It's like swish..... up and over. People crack me up sometimes.

Old 03-11-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Bedford View Post
There is nothing logical or sensible about atheism.

I also think it's funny how liberal atheists will defend Muslims but attack Christians.
Honestly, I think it's sad. But some people have to do something in order to make themselves feel big and they chose that.

Old 03-11-2011, 01:51 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,980,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
Personally, I think atheist should practice what they preach.
It also, doesn't surprise me in the least that the 'being careful for what one wishes for comment', would go up and over their heads.
It's like swish..... up and over. People crack me up sometimes.
Well please school me oh wise one, with your insight from the Lord, what did the "careful what you wish for" comment mean? I'm just a helpless atheist after all.

Old 03-11-2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Government.
There we go trying to surgically remove a person's spirit again.

Old 03-11-2011, 01:55 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,980,764 times
Quote:
Honestly, I think it's sad. But some people have to do something in order to make themselves feel big and they chose that.
I defend the minority against the tyranny of minority. If I lived in a Muslim nation I would defend Christians against undue persecution. Right now I live in a nation where loudmouth Christians try to force their morality down everyone's throats. So I stand with the minority, the atheists, deists, Muslims, Buddhists, etc.

Old 03-11-2011, 01:56 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
There we go trying to surgically remove a person's spirit again.
Nope. Only brain needed no surgery necessary for implementation. Refer: Various essays, quotes and other documents on the subject by the people who led the creation of the USA.

Old 03-11-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
I'm an equal opportunity religious attacker however here in America I find more annoying Christians that i must consistently debate their silliness with. Especially here on C-D which is overflowing with Christians.
Funny, so am I. However, it seems the atheist is the one on the biggest soap box. They go on and on and on, people hear their beliefs, and its like give it a rest already will ya?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies