Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2010, 12:38 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,627,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
That's great that that's your opinion, but that doesn't mean it's right. Several medical journals and associations have done studies that prove children do just fine in same sex parent households.
I'm not arguing from psychology or "medical journals". Frankly, I don't care what a bunch of over-educated idiots believe. I'm arguing from common sense. My daughters benefit from having my wife there for them. She gives them something I cannot give. That's just a fact--it's not my opinion. To deny that is just lunacy.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 12:41 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,688,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
I'm not arguing from psychology or "medical journals". Frankly, I don't care what a bunch of over-educated idiots believe. I'm arguing from common sense. My daughters benefit from having my wife there for them. She gives them something I cannot give. That's just a fact--it's not my opinion. To deny that is just lunacy.
And what exactly would a child get in a group home that would be better than in a home where they are wanted (regardless of the sex of their parents)?

Old 09-23-2010, 12:45 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,188,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist
Because men and women are identical in every way?
Because two men are identifcal in every way?

Quote:
Personally, I'm glad my wife is soft, smells good, doesn't have facial hair, and just thinks differently than I do.
Just as men and women think differently, two men can think differently. Personally, I'm glad my husband is soft, smells good, and has facial hair - and he thinks almost the same way I do.

Quote:
It's a proven fact that men and women just think differently.
It's a proven fact that every person can think differently from each other.

Quote:
Then, there's that thing about her being a woman...I think my daughters benefit from having her to help them with stuff that would be awkward having Daddy do.
And I benefitted from not having my mother. My father single-handedly managed to do perfectly fine in assisting myself and my younger sister through all those "awkward" things.

Next?

If two men or two women can't raise a child in a good home, then how the heck can one man or one woman be able to handle the job?

Old 09-23-2010, 06:36 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,879,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
Best thing for the child is to have two loving parents. I don't see how gender plays into that one bit.
I agree except I don't even think it must be defined as 2 people. Many single people are wonderful and loving parents.. sexual orientation has nothing to do with being a good parent.

This ruling was a long time in coming. I'm glad they finally did the right thing.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:59 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,560,285 times
And Florida finally catches up with the 20th century....just one century more to go! And the argument that 2 parents of opposite gender is somehow best for a child is just not valid; considering we have the highest divorce rate in the world. Look at the number of children living with a single parent, because of divorce, unwed mothers etc. Stability is most important...not gender etc. And gay couples are just as competent at raising children as straight couples. PS.....Most gay folks are the product of heterosexual marriages. ;-)

Divorce rate (most recent) by country

Single-parent - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

LGBT parenting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

College Inc. - Study: Same-sex couples can thrive as adoptive parents

Old 09-23-2010, 11:42 PM

37,282 posts, read 19,284,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
A Florida appeals court Wednesday struck down a state law barring gay men and lesbians from adoption on the basis of equal protection under law. Governor Crist wlll not enforce the ban in light of the ruling.
Clip:
The Florida 3rd District Court of Appeal upheld a trial court ruling that Florida's explicit ban was unconstitutional, noting that the state's adoption law required officials to assess potential adoptive parents in "the best interests of the child."

Florida appeals court strikes down gay adoption ban - CNN.com
It's way past due.

Children need love a helluva lot more than politics.

Old 09-23-2010, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
What's best for the child is a stable, loving home. The gender of the parent or parents is irrelevant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Ibid

op cit

Old 09-23-2010, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I guess some people believe that because you have a male and female married and living in the same house that all is perfect.
By their assessment, there is no child abuse or neglect, spousal abuse or any other negative actions/conditions occurring in a two gender parental unit.
They're wrong.
You forgot to mention that in this idyllic world there is never a mention of divorce.

Old 09-23-2010, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
so can single men adopt kids, or we don't have any problem with that kind of discrimination?
Do you have an application in?

I'll be happy to put in a good word for you.

On second thought, strike that...

Old 09-24-2010, 09:24 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,312,652 times
Apparently everyone who thinks homosexuality is normal, thinks raising a child is normal.

Everyone who thinks homosexuality is not normal, thinks raising a child is not normal.

Argument is futile. If it was the American way we would vote and decide.

But, then we have this pestilence called judges, and they go around changing laws.

As I stated earlier, I believe a man and a women united in wedlock, is the best way to raise children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies