Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 08:27 PM

355 posts, read 869,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Good points.

The Swiss also have a largely private system. And yet they manage to deliver health care at almost half the per-capita cost we deliver it at. We need to have a really honest look at why our costs are so high compared to the rest of the developed world while the quality of care we deliver is no better. And if fixing the problem ruffles some vested interests then so be it.
Well according to wikipedia, "Swiss are required to purchase basic health insurance, which covers a range of treatments detailed in the Federal Act. It is therefore the same throughout the country and avoids double standards in healthcare. Insurers are required to offer this basic insurance to everyone, regardless of age or medical condition. They are not allowed to make a profit off this basic insurance, but can on supplemental plans."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 08:31 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,809,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
I just can't understand how some can look at what obama said his bill would do and then look at the bill that was passed. How can they deny that the promises were just lies that he had no intention of keeping.

I mean, how can people read what he said THEN and read what the reports say NOW and not admit they have been duped once again?

All he was interested in was getting something, anything, to sign, so he could claim a victory.

Well, that victory is going to doom his party.

If this health care bill was so great you'd see all the Dems. incorporating this into their campaigns for Nov.. Funny how I haven't heard a word about it from any of them though!

Old 09-23-2010, 08:40 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,921,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RottenChester View Post
Well according to wikipedia, "Swiss are required to purchase basic health insurance, which covers a range of treatments detailed in the Federal Act. It is therefore the same throughout the country and avoids double standards in healthcare. Insurers are required to offer this basic insurance to everyone, regardless of age or medical condition. They are not allowed to make a profit off this basic insurance, but can on supplemental plans."
That is correct (I worked there for some time). And it works They have very good doctors and very good hospitals. In Geneva, most neighborhoods had a clinic ("permanence") where you can go if you need non-hospital treatment quickly or if you are away from home for pleasure or business.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:49 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,184,746 times
Just today I was walking my dog in the park. On a bench I saw a poor, unshaven, despondent man, obviously homeless. He had tears in his eyes and sobbed softly. As I passed he asked me if I had any spare change to buy a cup of chicken soup. I gave him several quarters from my pocket. Then he told me that he used to be a health insurance executive, but, because of Obamacare, his company (which was barely getting by) was forced out of business and consequently ruined his life. Between sobs he told me, "This is what I get for being so good to America's sick people".
You people just wait! The parks and alleys will be full of former health insurance executives sleeping in cardboard boxes. It's time to repeal Obamacare!

Last edited by Visvaldis; 09-23-2010 at 09:00 PM..

Old 09-23-2010, 08:57 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post

Wrong again.
Agree with you. Mine went up for the first time since 1999.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:04 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,242,310 times
Smile Health Insurance

I just don't know why the government just didn't give a place for those who could not get insured and then offer health insurance. Why include those of us who were fine with what we had? Like opting out.

As a self employed person, we have always paid our own way. I tried to put my deductible back where it was and Blue Cross told me if I changed it, I would not be "grandfathered" in. So, we are stuck paying $869 per month with a $2500 deductible when we really wanted our old amount of $425 per month with a $7500 deductible. BCBS changed it in 2008 and can't explain it. We're stuck.

I am/was against Obamacare/Hillarycare but am for a "last resort" type insurance for those who need it.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:48 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,471,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
He lied to everyone.

My rates just went up almost 700.00 per month thanks to the scam care bill.
Baloney. But....at least you, unlike millions of Americans, have thousands of dollars left over each month with which to pay your health insurance. So you must be doing pretty well after all ~

Old 09-23-2010, 09:54 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,471,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeptical View Post
For those of you whose health insurance premiums have been the same for 10 years, congratulations. You are the exceptions. I have been paying health insurance premiums through my company all my life, and for the past 10 years, my premiums have gone up, my deductibles have gone up, and my copays have gone up, all dramatically.
Absolutely correct. In every business, in every private-pay system this has been occurring.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:59 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,459,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
I just don't know why the government just didn't give a place for those who could not get insured and then offer health insurance. Why include those of us who were fine with what we had? Like opting out.

As a self employed person, we have always paid our own way. I tried to put my deductible back where it was and Blue Cross told me if I changed it, I would not be "grandfathered" in. So, we are stuck paying $869 per month with a $2500 deductible when we really wanted our old amount of $425 per month with a $7500 deductible. BCBS changed it in 2008 and can't explain it. We're stuck.

I am/was against Obamacare/Hillarycare but am for a "last resort" type insurance for those who need it.

Well corporate greed on the part of BCBS is why you are paying what you are now.

As far as the opting out goes. If someone who opts out gets sick, something happens, or whatever and they wind up with some huge hospital bill that they can't afford, who winds up paying? Everyone does anyway.

That is the main reason for the mandate, one of the biggest factors in the rising costs outside of corporate greed is how to pay for those who aren't insured when something happens. This is for both those who don't have coverage because they can't afford it, and those who could afford coverage, but choose to go without (although the majority would be in the simply not able to afford it category)

Old 09-23-2010, 10:00 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,511,439 times
Stop bad mouthing Obamacare- you know you had to pass the bill to know what's in it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies