Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 01:50 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,841,954 times

Advertisements

[SPMaybe you grew up in an affluent area. I don't know of any poor districts that hire tutors except for pregnant teens.

There were times when I had homework I turned in blank because Mum couldn't understand it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 08:05 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
I would say it is true that virtually all the parents of kids in private schools are very invested in their kids' education, while it's a lower percent that are so invested in the public schools. There is a subset of parents in public schools that is very invested and works very hard to improve the schools.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:40 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,194,504 times
When it comes to lofty plans ( Obana's included) talk is cheap.

Here in Minnesota,we are bombarded with political ads for Governor.
One side accuses the other of slashing K-12 education and stating all the wonderous things the other candidate will do.

KSTP TV did a --fact check-- on those ads.

They found the one candidate was not going to slassh spending.
His increases were just smaller than some desired.

The candidate with all those lofty proposals? He admitted he had no way( or plan) to pay for them, but they were just ........."goals"

When politicians shoot their mouth off about their ideas on education, they should also state
--- .......#1--the cost
----------#2--a realistic funding plan
----------#3-whether their plan even falls under their jusisdiction.

Obama fails on all 3.
Especially #3 !

Old 09-30-2010, 09:05 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Obama fails on all 3.
Especially #3 !
not really

the FEDERAL department of education, is the department that SETS THE STANDARD...(ie NCLB)....if they set a standard and say that FEDERALLY (NATIONALLY) the school year would be AT LEAST 190 days....or a day is atleast 8 hours......then states would have to set THEIR STANDARDS to AT LEAST the federal level..meaning some states may say 190 days, while some states may say 200 days...they CAN NOT have the state LOWER than the federal

Old 09-30-2010, 11:19 AM

215 posts, read 308,049 times
I think extending the school year is an excellent idea! Our kids have over 2 months of vacation time in the summer alone and most of the kids are bored after a few weeks, and ready to go back!
BUT to me, the real problem with the schools, especially middle/high school is the kids. Many don't want to pay attention and make it more difficult for the teachers. A study recently conducted admits that there is a gang, drug, and violence problem in the public schools. A whopping 59% of schools are dealing with this. Private school findings are at 2%! Let's clean up the schools of drugs and violence - zero tolerance, and we will see dramatic improvements!

Old 09-30-2010, 11:28 AM

If there is a longer day, sitting in the chair an extra hour or two will be fine. Allow longer breaks ...
My daughter gets 30 minutes for lunch and recess. Why not have a 8 hour day, with a 20 minute break in the morning, 45 minute lunch break and another 15/20 minute break in the afternoon? Having the long summer off, yes, kids forget a lot. Give the students a one month summer vacation, too, instead of 10 weeks! It's too much! Even when I was younger, I hated the longggg summer!

Old 09-30-2010, 11:37 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
not really

the FEDERAL department of education, is the department that SETS THE STANDARD...(ie NCLB)....if they set a standard and say that FEDERALLY (NATIONALLY) the school year would be AT LEAST 190 days....or a day is atleast 8 hours......then states would have to set THEIR STANDARDS to AT LEAST the federal level..meaning some states may say 190 days, while some states may say 200 days...they CAN NOT have the state LOWER than the federal
So tell me, what is the federal standard now?

Old 09-30-2010, 11:38 AM

Default Waiting for Superman!

What if we start with the students first. A recent survey conducted showed that 59% of public schools vs. 2% of private schools have gangs, drugs and violence within the public schools, especially the middle/high schools.
We need to clean up the schools first zero - tolerance of this kind of behavior! If the kids don't want to be in schools, then deal with the kids and stop blaming the teachers. There are good and bad teachers but if we start with the discipline of the students first, then the teachers, we could see dramatic improvements!

Old 09-30-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
So tell me, what is the federal standard now?
I am not sure what or if there is a federal standard...but obama (or anyother potus) can (through the federal DoE) set such a standard

when I was stationed down in North Carolina,, the kids started school the 3rd week of August...here (new york, long island) its the Wednesday after labor day (Sept)...there (nc) they dont get columbus day, here its an important holiday..there they dont get all the Hebrew holidays, here the schools would be nearly empty

you (or I) would have to look it up to see if there is a current national standard, and see what it is...for all we know it might be there,but only 150 days...which would mean the states are all ADDing to it (as with all rules, the subordinate levels can add to the rule, but not subtact)

Old 09-30-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by me in RI View Post
What if we start with the students first. A recent survey conducted showed that 59% of public schools vs. 2% of private schools have gangs, drugs and violence within the public schools, especially the middle/high schools.
We need to clean up the schools first zero - tolerance of this kind of behavior! If the kids don't want to be in schools, then deal with the kids and stop blaming the teachers. There are good and bad teachers but if we start with the discipline of the students first, then the teachers, we could see dramatic improvements!

starting with the student , would require you to start with educating the parent...too many "not my child, no he/she is a good kid, not my child"

Last edited by workingclasshero; 09-30-2010 at 12:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies