Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 08:32 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,695,462 times

Advertisements

[quote=INeedAChange;992893]
Quote:
yes, Toni, I don't understand the psychology of these people. Where do they think services come from? Do they want anarchy?
The only need for government is for national defense and to protect citizens from other citizens who would invade their property rights. Other than these, no other services NEED to be provided by the government. Private parties would operate much more efficiently and effectively.

Quote:
Of course there is going to be some waste and some people who scam the system--that's the price we pay for having a society.
No, that's the price we pay for having government run these social programs. As long as there is no incentive for government employees to save money, money and resources will be wasted.

Old 07-02-2007, 08:59 PM

1,307 posts, read 5,505,819 times
[quote=Amaznjohn;993394]
Quote:
Originally Posted by INeedAChange View Post
The only need for government is for national defense and to protect citizens from other citizens who would invade their property rights. Other than these, no other services NEED to be provided by the government. Private parties would operate much more efficiently and effectively.
Let's take a look at just a few, tiny examples of what you wish for.

All highways will be constructed by private companies, and all will be funded by tolls. The tolls will be set by the companies. Some will be fair, some will be expensive. Some will be easy, some will be inefficient and time wasters. You can avoid the inefficient and time wasting ones in favor of the fair, easy ones -- as long as you can get from one to the other without spending more gas than you would pay in tolls. If there was an area where it might be too difficult or too expensive to build a road, or too little traffic for tolls to pay the way, there will be no roads built, and no way to get there.

There will be no center for disease control. Bubonic plague, Ebola, and much more will run wild because there is no central facility to prevent it.

When you go into a grocery store, you will be taking pot luck as to whether the food is safe to eat or not.

You might want to go on a canoe trip, but the river will be polluted and all of the wilderness will be built out. There would be no national parks, of course.

I could go on for hundreds and hundreds of other, vital , important programs operated by the national government, but you should be getting the point by now.

Old 07-02-2007, 09:11 PM

145 posts, read 519,442 times
To state that we do not need government outside of national security and the protection of a citizen's property is off topic. Additionally none of my posts stated anything other than a definition. I did not state, defend or denounce a political position. Interesting that the word ideology was overlooked.

Old 07-02-2007, 09:26 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,232,757 times
im not owned by any party.
i came from humble beginnings, after high school, i was on my own, i worked at a slaughterhouse and on a fishing boat to pay for my college, while my buddies, were partying, there life away,,wasting thier college years, i was always working, after college in my mid 20's i got a job,,worked my way up, i wanted nice things in life and was willing to work for it. my same buddies, most dropped out of college,,got jobs, where-ever they could, but continued to live the free lifestyle,,smoking weed and drinking (partying)
when we got together, i noticed, they complained and whined about everyone else,,never looking at themselves, or thier wrong decisions.
i was no longer welcomed at get togethers,,because when they started complaining about the government and the "rich", id shove it back at them, they had every opportunity to better themselves, or graduate and get a good job, and still plenty of time to.,,,but yet i gave my opinion,,,and thats when they were calling me a republican, i didnt get it at the time,,,i despised politics and didnt know the difference between a democrat or repub... after starting a family and hanging with a different crowd...i realized maybe i was a republican,,the crowd i was hanging with was ,,,entrepenuers, working 90 hrs a week, trying to start thier own businesses,
and yes ,,they called themselves repubs also, we all believed in,,,you get what you are willing to work for..
we create our own destiny,,,not rely on anyone else, or government.
we may have nice things now,,that my other old friends are envious of,,but i worked my ass off for it,,while they smoked weed, and drank,,all the time.
hey if they are happy, thats great, its not for me to judge,,but dont be looking at me,,saying im "rich" and it aint fair!! and im not paying enough taxes to support these bastards that would rather party all day than have steady work!

being older i do have liberal friends at work,,i listen to what they say,,,and most of what they express sounds nice/decent in a perfect world,,however this world isnt perfect,,

Old 07-02-2007, 09:35 PM

1,648 posts, read 2,560,847 times
Because they promise to promote my religion above others.
Because they will enforce my religious rules on others even if they don't believe my religion.
Because they will make others less equal to me.
Because I like having my money taken to spend on war welfare, where we spend money to pay ppl to do work that is not productive to the United States, and provide welfare for other countries.
Because I like to see corruption and juicy stories every now and then.

Old 07-02-2007, 09:36 PM

1,135 posts, read 3,982,969 times
Ironicaly enuff, its the redstate repubs who
take the most federal handouts, ie: welfare.....
How do you repubs explain this ?

Old 07-02-2007, 09:38 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,260,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoZmiC NinJa View Post
It's the liberals in the red states.

Old 07-02-2007, 09:51 PM

467 posts, read 325,216 times
[quote=pslOldTimer;993542]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Let's take a look at just a few, tiny examples of what you wish for.

All highways will be constructed by private companies, and all will be funded by tolls. The tolls will be set by the companies. Some will be fair, some will be expensive. Some will be easy, some will be inefficient and time wasters. You can avoid the inefficient and time wasting ones in favor of the fair, easy ones -- as long as you can get from one to the other without spending more gas than you would pay in tolls. If there was an area where it might be too difficult or too expensive to build a road, or too little traffic for tolls to pay the way, there will be no roads built, and no way to get there.

There will be no center for disease control. Bubonic plague, Ebola, and much more will run wild because there is no central facility to prevent it.

When you go into a grocery store, you will be taking pot luck as to whether the food is safe to eat or not.

You might want to go on a canoe trip, but the river will be polluted and all of the wilderness will be built out. There would be no national parks, of course.

I could go on for hundreds and hundreds of other, vital , important programs operated by the national government, but you should be getting the point by now.
now THAT'S what I'm talking about!!!! This is where I say Hooray for PSO.

Old 07-02-2007, 11:15 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,788,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needaplace View Post
Just out of curioisty, if you are not rich or have no plans to become rich, why would you vote Republican?
Good question. May I butt in and ask why did you vote for Bush, not once but twice? I look at the man's face and see greed and dishonesty all over it. Party loyalty? Couldn't tell lies from truth? He was the best choice? Wow! You could determine that. It's frightening how astray people can be lead.

(I am sure there is a thread about him somewhere. I am too lazy to look. Sorry.)

Last edited by davidt1; 07-02-2007 at 11:39 PM..

Old 07-02-2007, 11:23 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,901,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoZmiC NinJa View Post
Wal-Mart and Mega Churches, basically.

I'm an Independent, BTW. Voting for Bush twice learnt me my lessons!

True conservatives want leaner government, but they are a diminishing force inside the GOP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies