Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 01:52 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,160,384 times

Advertisements

A rather eyebrow raising statement that, it seems some tea party types believe that if only taxes in the USA were a lot lower employers would rush straight out and employ a lot more people.

I'm an employer and I take extra staff on when the demand for services is such that my current staff levels cannot handle the work.
Why should employers hire staff if there is not the demand to warrant the extra staff ?

Huge cuts to tax, how would the military etc be funded ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 05:21 AM

2,564 posts, read 1,597,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
A rather eyebrow raising statement that, it seems some tea party types believe that if only taxes in the USA were a lot lower employers would rush straight out and employ a lot more people.

I'm an employer and I take extra staff on when the demand for services is such that my current staff levels cannot handle the work.
Why should employers hire staff if there is not the demand to warrant the extra staff ?

Here's another good one, would CEO's cut their pay by a few million annually to hire more people?

Old 10-01-2010, 06:04 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
Quote:

I've been asking this question for months... or more accurately, pointing out how ridiculous such an argument is.

Old 10-01-2010, 06:15 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,942,602 times
Quote:

My brother-in-law would he's a small business owner. What's needed his tax cuts across the board for everyone, employer and consumer alike. But that's not going to happen because the money's has to come from somewhere to fund our social entitlements, which are bankrupting the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiesmom View Post
Here's another good one, would CEO's cut their pay by a few million annually to hire more people?
A few might, depends on the individual. Not all CEOs are equal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I've been asking this question for months... or more accurately, pointing out how ridiculous such an argument is.
Well that's because you think inside the liberal box. You should step out of it sometimes

Old 10-01-2010, 06:26 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,026,245 times
It's not JUST lower taxes. Businesses are also dealing with the uncertainty of Obamacare, Cap and Trade, Card Check and whatever government regulation this President and his political party have in store for them down the road that involve money and paperwork.

And you know what, if they contributed to Democrat presidential and congressional campaigns, they deserve what they get. Employees are collateral damage for the employers helping to get this Democrat crew elected.

Old 10-01-2010, 06:31 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,026,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiesmom View Post
Small businesses not large corporations represent 99.7 percent of all employers and employ 57.4 million Americans or 50.6 percent of the non-farm private sector workforce.

SBA: Office of Advocacy - Small Business Drives The U.S. Economy (http://www.sba.gov/advo/press/06-17.html - broken link)

Old 10-01-2010, 06:40 AM

3,709 posts, read 4,629,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Small businesses not large corporations represent 99.7 percent of all employers and employ 57.4 million Americans or 50.6 percent of the non-farm private sector workforce.

SBA: Office of Advocacy - Small Business Drives The U.S. Economy (http://www.sba.gov/advo/press/06-17.html - broken link)
Precisely. Though liberals like to blow this issue to huge proportions, these CEOs are the heads of a small percentage of our job growth drivers.

They act as if, by penalizing CEOs, the poor will suddenly have jobs.

Furthermore, it is not the government's business what a CEO in a private corportation makes unless they receive public funds-----------but this concept is completely lost on most liberals.

Old 10-01-2010, 06:42 AM

673 posts, read 2,717,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
It's not JUST lower taxes. Businesses are also dealing with the uncertainty of Obamacare, Cap and Trade, Card Check and whatever government regulation this President and his political party have in store for them down the road that involve money and paperwork.
Well said. Businesses deal with layers of taxes and regulations, layers of money and paperwork: at the federal, state and local levels. Combined, these are crushing small business.

Old 10-01-2010, 06:44 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,207,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
My brother-in-law would he's a small business owner. What's needed his tax cuts across the board for everyone, employer and consumer alike. But that's not going to happen because the money's has to come from somewhere to fund our social entitlements, which are bankrupting the country.

A few might, depends on the individual. Not all CEOs are equal.

Well that's because you think inside the liberal box. You should step out of it sometimes
So if we cut social entitlements, like unemployment, SSI, foodstamps, etc., then we have tent camps of people living in abandoned fields (like the great depression) who can't buy anything either (plus it's just draconian--I don't want to live in a country where we let grandma and little children starve to death so I can buy a boat). My family is below the $250,000.00 cut off proposed for raising taxes, but we're in the 33% tax bracket. We aren't spending a dime more than we did before the tax rate went down--we're saving and investing it. That's exactly what our friends are doing too. Trickle down economics is a myth. If they raised my taxes a percent or two, we could still easily absorb it into our budget without impacting our lifestyle in any way. I don't want to pay taxes any more than the next person, but if it takes that to fix this country, I'll do it proudly as a patriotic American. Since when did being an American stand for "every man for himself?"

Old 10-01-2010, 06:54 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Ah, no that's because I think not only out of economics box (my degree) but as I have explained elsewhere, as a small business owner.

Quote:
My brother-in-law would he's a small business owner. What's needed his tax cuts across the board for everyone, employer and consumer alike.
I don't doubt that most folks at this time couldn't use a little more money in their pockets and a tax cut for 98% of small business owners and their customers would be incredibly helpful, but more money in the pockets of all of us in this economy doesn't translate into business expansion!

The data is clear, savings rates are up despite declines in overall income, which means, that people are holding on to whatever disposable income that they may have, generally a good thing, except saving money doesn't drive an increase in demand, just the opposite. No small business, my included, is going to expand when there isn't the demand for goods and services!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies