Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 01:57 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,321,953 times

Advertisements

Another indication that unemployment will ease next year:

"NEW YORK - More than half the employers in a new poll say they plan to hire full-time employees in the next 12 months, according to research released on Tuesday that could spell relief for unemployed U.S. workers.

Four in 10 employers plan to hire contract, temporary or project workers, and another four in 10 will be hiring part-time employees, according to the survey conducted for Robert Half International, a staffing company, and CareerBuilder.com, an online career site.
"

Survey: Employers plan to hire in year ahead - Careers- msnbc.com

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 02:01 PM

Or for those who automatically distrust anything they read on MSNBC:

U.S. employers see hires in year ahead - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/US-employers-see-hires-in-rb-1052544161.html?x=0&.v=3 - broken link)

Ken

Old 08-25-2009, 02:02 PM

5,165 posts, read 6,051,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Or for those who automatically distrust anything they read on MSNBC:

U.S. employers see hires in year ahead - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/US-employers-see-hires-in-rb-1052544161.html?x=0&.v=3 - broken link)

Ken
My firm has been hiring since June. +2 new people in my dept alone in the last 2 weeks. Hopefully it is a good sign

Old 08-25-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
My firm has been hiring since June. +2 new people in my dept alone in the last 2 weeks. Hopefully it is a good sign
Yup, just more evidence to refute those doom and gloom folks who say there is no recovery and that things are getting worse.

Of course, as I've said before - there are still challenges and risks, but the general trend is towards inprovement.

Ken

Old 08-25-2009, 03:23 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,754,704 times
We are not hiring but we are not firing either.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:45 PM

195 posts, read 427,113 times
So you are saying is that the Stimulus package is working ??

Old 08-25-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genonfire View Post
So you are saying is that the Stimulus package is working ??
I believe the stimulus is starting to work, but mostly it will kick in next year. I doubt the hiring mentioned in the poll is directly related to the stimulus (but there's no way to say for sure). I do think the economy will improve even without the stimulus - but I also think there is considerable chance it would be a very enemic recovery and that the stimulus will help drive the economy towards a more substantial recovery (and also help prevent it from sliding back into the double dip recession so many folks on this board keep predicting).

No matter how you slice it, this poll is VERY GOOD news. For weeks now the doom and gloom folks have been belittling the good news about the economy (ie, banks stablizing, housing prices going up, layoffs slowing down, etc, etc, etc) with the argument that none of that matters as long as we are still losing jobs.

Well, here's the first evidence that not only are the job cuts decreasing rapidly, now many employers are thinking about rehiring next year.

Ken

Old 08-25-2009, 04:49 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,228,336 times
This is good news. I'm certainly not surprised... the economy does appear to be picking back up.

Unemployment is generally one of the last things to come back after recessions end. The term "jobless recovery" actually emerged during the early 1990s recession. That recession officially ended in March 1991, but unemployment kept rising until June 1992. Again, the early 2000s recession officially ended in November 2001 but unemployment continued to rise until August 2003.

Simply put, unemployment is a lagging indicator.

Old 08-25-2009, 04:57 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,747,059 times
All recessions end.

This one may not be over, actions have consequences. Printing money and blowing out the debt will have to be dealt with.

Fears of Double-Dip Downturn Loom Again

"“There are risks associated with exit strategies from the massive monetary and fiscal easing,” he said, adding that policymakers may impede any recovery and tip their economies back into “stag-deflation” if they try to fight rising budget deficits by increasing taxes and cutting spending.

He pointed out that the problem is that if they maintain large deficits, fears over high inflation will grow, causing borrowing rates to rise and hampering economic growth."

"Former Morgan Stanley economist Andy Xie, who predicted the 1997-1998 Asian financial crisis, also warned of a double dip recession.

"“The United States will enter a second dip in the first quarter of next year. Its economic recovery in the second half of this year is being driven by inventory restocking and fiscal stimulus,’’ Xie wrote in his recent article.""

Old 08-25-2009, 05:00 PM

3,199 posts, read 4,315,610 times
Quote:
Career Builder's poll: 8 of 10 employers plan to hire next year
I plan on winning the lottery tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies