Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you react to heterosexuals who are anti-homosexual?
I usually agree with them 25 19.08%
I usually disagree with them 88 67.18%
I'm neutral on the subject 18 13.74%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 04:11 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
So if I demand legal rights declared for guaranteeing freedom of religion, that's forcing other religions on you? How does that make sense?

Please try to make coherent, logical arguments. The Bible, what your pastor says.... these are not compelling nor authoritative sources outside of your particular religious circle.
You've got freedom of religion. But arguing for special definitions of marriage to suit you is not freedom of religion.

Please try to make your own arguments logical and coherent.

Quote:

You've already allowed yourself to be misguided. The pervert part? Well, that's subjective.

But thank you, you only "imagine." You do not "know." You cannot fool nature, as hard as you try.

You sure about that? There are plenty of people that have. But again, I ask...if you can't "fool nature", do we give pedophiles a pass because they feel compelled to do it?
Quote:

And by luck you were born in a country that allows you to live openly according to your lifestyle choice to believe in the deity of your choosing, even if the ideas you preach pursuant to your religion are often inherently evil and oppressive to the values of others.

You're right---I am fortunate that I was born into this country. I would, of course, disagree that any of its ideas are evil. Can you elaborate on those?

In any event, you have no way of judging if they are evil or not, except that you don't like them.
Quote:

My God is not the same person as your God. He's not spiteful, vindictive, or concerned with earthly things like who is having sex with whom. Yours, on the other hand, is apparently the gossipy, nosy neighbor obsessed with their neighbor's sex lives.

You have created for yourself an idol.
Quote:

Strawman caricature? Do you deny it? I bet you read the King James Version of the Bible without any sense of irony.

Actually, I usually read the ESV or NASB. The KJV is a remarkable piece of work, concerning the time it was created in, but it was based off of a very limited body of texts. If you're going to actually go down that route of doubting the validity of the Biblical texts, I'm guessing you also doubt the existence of Julius Caesar, right? Plato? Aristotle?
Quote:

It's not a subjective criteria. It's objective criteria. Again, in terms you can understand: The Golden Rule.

What objective source gave you the Golden Rule? You claim God is evil and don't follow him. The only other source really is just a subjective one.
Quote:

Long before there was "your religion," people had laws that reflected a disagreement with raping, murdering and stealing.
The only universal ones were given by God---the rest were laws that applied to one group of people but not another.

Some people groups have considered rape, incest, stealing, child sacrifice, etc to be good things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Can you change your sexual orientation at will and decide that you wish to be attracted to members of your own sex? Was it really a choice for you to like the opposite sex?

Somehow I seriously doubt it. You were born the way you are. So are homosexuals. Both of you, BTW, were created by the same God for His own reasons.
Is that relevant? Can a pedophile change his orientation at will? Is he excused for acting on his desires? Take your argument to the next level, logically...it breaks down. If we're going to base our morals on feelings that opens up a whole new can of worms.

Can a rapist be excused because he feels compelled to act on his urges? Your values tell you that homosexuality is ok...but that is a subjective value that you can't force on others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Did God personally tell you that?
Yes. He gave me a collection of 66 books called the Bible. It's an objective standard that beats the heck out of kshe95girl's or Trimt77's standards any day. It doesn't change, and is perfect--that's more than you can say.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:28 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post

Yes. He gave me a collection of 66 books called the Bible. It doesn't change, and is perfect--that's more than you can say.
Doesnt change? Hardly.
The Bible has been rewritten, revised, and edited since the time it was written.
Even now, Biblical scholars debate over the translation of words from the "original" texts. And, as we all know, one word can change the whole meaning of a passage.
I've known a slew of Biblical scholars in my life, so far, you have not qualified yourself as one.
Pray tell, what is the meaning of your last little tidbit, "more than you can say"?

Old 10-05-2010, 04:32 PM

387 posts, read 533,070 times
It is those evasive passive aggressive homophobes who you have to watch out for. At least you know to stay away from Fred Phelps. The smiling evasive ones are the ones you have to keep away from.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:37 PM

292 posts, read 544,020 times
I personally believe that sexual acts between two people of the same gender is wrong, but loving someone of the same gender is okay to me I guess.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Doesnt change? Hardly.
The Bible has been rewritten, revised, and edited since the time it was written.
Prove it.

Quote:
Even now, Biblical scholars debate over the translation of words from the "original" texts. And, as we all know, one word can change the whole meaning of a passage.
Give me an example.
Quote:

I've known a slew of Biblical scholars in my life, so far, you have not qualified yourself as one.
Pray tell, what is the meaning of your last little tidbit, "more than you can say"?
The Bible is the word of God--the Creator of the universe. Your set of morals are what makes you feel warm and fuzzy. Personally, I'd take the objective standards set up by God over your rules any day.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Prove it.

Give me an example.

The Bible is the word of God--the Creator of the universe. Your set of morals are what makes you feel warm and fuzzy. Personally, I'd take the objective standards set up by God over your rules any day.
Christians such as yourself are the biggest reason for atheism.

I havent said anything about any rules, thats just you attempting to put words in my mouth, and badly at that.

Prove it? I dont have to, Google it.

Give you an example? Teach yourself...just like the proverb "Teach a man to fish"......or can you not figure these things out for yourself?

You know nothing of my morals.......doesnt the Bible say "Judge not"?

Try practicing what you preach, bless your heart.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:50 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,899,749 times
Originally Posted by kshe95girl
Doesnt change? Hardly.
[quote=Calvinist;16155123]Prove it.

What an idiot! Anybody who has done even a cursory examination of the Bible, believers and/or scholars, knows that it is a document that is the result of 100s of years of different authors, interpretations, revisions etc...

It certainly would be convenient to think that it came from God, complete, at one time and now available on Amazon, but that just aint the case.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Christians such as yourself are the biggest reason for atheism.
Are you judging me? That's kind of rude, don't you think?

Quote:
I havent said anything about any rules, thats just you attempting to put words in my mouth, and badly at that.

Prove it? I dont have to, Google it.
I'm curious if you can actually present a reasonable argument of if you're just spewing what you've heard others say.
Quote:
Give you an example? Teach yourself...just like the proverb "Teach a man to fish"......or can you not figure these things out for yourself?

You know nothing of my morals.......doesnt the Bible say "Judge not"?
Do you know the rest of that verse? It says "...or you'll be judged by the same standards". I'm ok with being judged by the standards I'm judging you. Are you ok with being judged by the standards you're judging me by?

Old 10-05-2010, 04:59 PM

[quote=T. Damon;16155239]Originally Posted by kshe95girl
Doesnt change? Hardly.
Quote:
Prove it.

What an idiot! Anybody who has done even a cursory examination of the Bible, believers and/or scholars, knows that it is a document that is the result of 100s of years of different authors, interpretations, revisions etc...

It certainly would be convenient to think that it came from God, complete, at one time and now available on Amazon, but that just aint the case.
Aint that the truth!
Its completely useless to even try to logically debate with zealots, but it is sure is fun to spin them up and watch the smoke come out of their ears while they try to smite folks.

Old 10-05-2010, 05:00 PM

144 posts, read 121,133 times
Bible Beaters should remember this one golden rule and the world would be a better place.

You don't want me at your door trying to sell you Men's Fitness Magazine or Cosmo, and I don't want you at mine trying to sell me your religious beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies