Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 12:58 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times

Advertisements

Who remembers the speech that Obama gave in Colorado Springs. "more funded than the military". I've seen a few post since then on the 'brown shirts', so I'm thinking people remember.

Well after looking at the responses within this thread, 'mandatory' service is just what the country needs. The reason being that people do not seem to want to know. They want to continue their life uninterrupted by those in their communities by those who are going to bed hungry at night. The children who go to school without breakfast and they try to learn while their stomachs are aching for food. And yes, those who are dying because of the effects of poverty.

No one wants to know that. No one wants to hear that sh*t, because then it might be something they are asked to help with. It might be something that at one time in their lives it could effect them. So they live in denial that it can happen and that it is happening right up under their very own noses and more importantly, the slope down is a very slippery slope and it can happen to them. They don't want to know this!

Here is the U.S. Census report on poverty in America.
Poverty - U.S. Census Bureau It is a very comprehensive web designed utilizing the census stats and is educational. (know one wants to know this though)

Here is the S. 277
Quote:
S. 277, the Serve America Act
This army of volunteers has the power to transform and inspire communities across America.
Now lets go back to John F. Kennedy who had a vision.
Quote:
AmeriCorps VISTA, Washburn University (http://www.washburn.edu/main/linc/americorps-vista.html - broken link)
The vision of President John F. Kennedy and initiated by President Lyndon Johnson under the Economic Opportunity Act of 1964, the VISTA program was modeled after the Peace Corps. It is now a part of Americorps and falls under the directorship of the Corporation for National and Community Service.
What is VISTA?
Quote:
AmeriCorps.gov > AmeriCorps VISTA Thirty-seven million Americans live in poverty. Through AmeriCorps VISTA, you can make a tangible difference. And, you’ll find the fulfillment that comes from using your knowledge and skills to help those in disadvantaged circumstances turn their dreams into reality.
(my bold)
Since people do not want to know this about poverty in America the senate bill 277 address, Service Leaning...and in that our children will learn of it at schools all across America, since parents at home haven't a clue about what it means to give to their communities to those that don't have what then need. The basics, shelter, food, clothing & education.
Quote:
Service Learning Service Learning is a method of teaching through which students apply their academic skills and knowledge to address real-life needs in their own communities.
Notice, "real-life needs".
The only mandatory action so far this bill offers is that it is now mandatory to be taught in school about those who have basics needs within their community that are not being met. Once again the government has to step up to the plate and teach the children what their parents won't.

To be honest, I would be more impressed with the Presidents wife, if she would get off the obesity trip and go down the path of hunger in America. That is the path that will open more eyes to the ever growing populations in America the 'wealthiest', third world country.

There are people right in our own neighborhoods, living virtually right next door who go to bed hungry and all people can say is, "I do not see how that is possible".

I'm telling you that it is not only possible, but that it is very real. Get out of doors, ask around, talk to people within your community and open our eyes...it is but then we together can, "Make a Difference".

If 'mandatory' service is what it takes to make that difference, I'm all in! Asking for help, just doesn't seem to be getting the job done.

PS: I now understand, just why that is.

Last edited by Ellis Bell; 10-05-2010 at 01:05 PM.. Reason: & education, miss spelling, ps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 03:33 PM

624 posts, read 1,121,715 times
More Americans die because of the Government and because they prefer doing nothing that watching TV all day!
YouTube - Filmmaker Michael Covel on Broke: The New American Dream

Old 10-06-2010, 03:37 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
Click on the link below to read the article about more Americans dying from poverty than terrorism.

More Americans Die of Poverty than Terrorism | Poverty in America | Change.org

I don't need to read the article. I'm sure it's true. Did you also know more Americans die of heart disease than poverty? And automobile accidents?

Old 10-06-2010, 08:08 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
Well after looking at the responses within this thread, 'mandatory' service is just what the country needs. The reason being that people do not seem to want to know. They want to continue their life uninterrupted by those in their communities by those who are going to bed hungry at night. The children who go to school without breakfast and they try to learn while their stomachs are aching for food. And yes, those who are dying because of the effects of poverty..

Actually, millions of Americans do a lot for people in poverty. It's call church charity functions.

And we already spend millions, if not billions on school meals for hungry children.

And just based on my observation, we don't have many starving people in America. Most of our poor people are fat. I've never even heard of a person dying of starvation. We have lots of food kitchens all over this country.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:16 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,508,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
Click on the link below to read the article about more Americans dying from poverty than terrorism.

More Americans Die of Poverty than Terrorism | Poverty in America | Change.org
This is a bunch of garbarge.

It is impossible to die of poverty or homlesness. One time I had a net worth of $7 and no place to live. I wasn't the least bit worried of dying from poverty or homelessness. I'm middle class now. Doesn't mean I'm immune from death.

A person can only die from a short list of things:

disease
accident
homicide
suicide
the government

Those 5 things pretty much cover it.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:19 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,508,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Actually, millions of Americans do a lot for people in poverty. It's call church charity functions.

And we already spend millions, if not billions on school meals for hungry children.

And just based on my observation, we don't have many starving people in America. Most of our poor people are fat. I've never even heard of a person dying of starvation. We have lots of food kitchens all over this country.
I really wonder where people get some of their ideas.

When was the last time a person in a capitalist country died from starvation because they were unable to obtain food?

Stalin starved around 5 million Ukrainians in the 1930s. Big government in action.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:01 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post

What is the number of American volunteers since say, 2001? The growth is there, this is true. The growth is there, because the need is there, as well. So, not only church charity but through government based organizations as well.

There is also as you say, food for children at the schools, however, there are still those who will not disclose their situation to others and will go without. I wonder why that is? Actually I don't wonder.

Based on my observation people do not know, what they have yet to experience for themselves.

Food pantries and hunger in New Jersey | NJ.com

If you have a way to pull up archive news, find the articles of news that began to circulate in 2003 on food pantry's in crisis.

What this thread has done for me, it has made me an advocate for, not against, service learning brought into the education curriculum of our young people.

I guess there is something to be said for, rose colored glasses.

When was the last time people got out and talked to the local charities within their area, so as to get a real world observation? Yea, that is what I thought.

Old 10-07-2010, 04:26 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,468,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Good, decent, hard-working, patriotic, religious Americans will usually defend the acceptance of poverty.

Not only that, but mocking them. I guess if they hate themselves that much, that's how they are going to act.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:00 AM

624 posts, read 1,121,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
I really wonder where people get some of their ideas.

When was the last time a person in a capitalist country died from starvation because they were unable to obtain food?

Stalin starved around 5 million Ukrainians in the 1930s. Big government in action.
Talking about starvation most of the Americans don't know what communism really is and what are the consequences of price control!
I didn't lived in communism but my parents did and the shelves in the stores were always empty! The people were staying in lines at the stores even if they didn't knew what that store got in that day (anything was good... something was better than nothing).

Old 10-08-2010, 08:13 AM

5,412 posts, read 4,240,714 times
How many of these people in "poverty" are morbidly obese?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies