Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 02:51 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,991,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Why not make the damn bag out of recycled paper???

or...you can pour it into a bowl or something else if the noise is so distracting. People are so ridiculous when it comes to such small things. The environment is a bit more important than a noisy bag.
I agree with the first, its a different option, but it solves the sound issue. I don't agree with the second issue as asking consumers to make a concesion is just a lazy alternative to a business. If you are a business owner and want to do something outside of your practice (promote a certain political issue as the green movement), then do so by retaining your current product at the same time. If a business can not do such, then either they accept the current product or they go out of business because of it. I will not endure the demands of business, they WILL endure the demands of the consumer. This IS how business runs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 02:53 PM

285 posts, read 878,824 times
If you're really that worried about the environment, quit eating processed food. That's the real hypocrisy IMO. You really think eating potato chips from a compostable bag is going to make a difference? It isn't.

Old 10-06-2010, 02:57 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,256,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd242 View Post
If you're really that worried about the environment, quit eating processed food. That's the real hypocrisy IMO. You really think eating potato chips from a compostable bag is going to make a difference? It isn't.
er, unprocessed foods come in packaging too, unless you grow your own.

Carrots come in plastic bags as well.

Old 10-06-2010, 03:13 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,826,760 times
Yeah, those bags produce too much noise, very annoying.

Old 10-06-2010, 04:02 PM

888 posts, read 1,190,621 times
Unfortunately, it's a common thing in this country......period.
You don't get out much anymore, do you Jadex?

Steve

Old 10-06-2010, 04:06 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,991,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
This is not directed at you per say

I just dont want to be preached to by the left about taking care of the planet and I should drive certain cars or not use water bottles when the left leaves the earth like this after one of their events. This is a common thing for the left to do.
that is funny, I mean, I am far from a "environmentalist" and yet the thought of throwing my own trash on the ground is almost impossible to do. I always seek some form of receptacle or take it with me and I argue against most of these eco-freaks.

Someone who would throw their own trash (its in their hand) to the ground and not seek some place to dispose of it properly is just a thug too lazy to even walk I suspect. It isn't a surprise the left attracts such degenerates. Hell, half the time when I am at a fast food place and see someone left some garbage on their table, I pick it up and throw it in the trash on my way. Interesting.

Old 10-06-2010, 04:12 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,874,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhound View Post
Unfortunately, it's a common thing in this country......period.
You don't get out much anymore, do you Jadex?

Steve
No its not that common the did you not see how clear the ground was after the Beck rally? Seems the ones that cares about the earth is the right while the left trashes it. But for some reason it is the left that lectures you on taking care of the earth. Also on what car you should drive etc etc

Old 10-06-2010, 04:18 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,874,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
that is funny, I mean, I am far from a "environmentalist" and yet the thought of throwing my own trash on the ground is almost impossible to do. I always seek some form of receptacle or take it with me and I argue against most of these eco-freaks.

Someone who would throw their own trash (its in their hand) to the ground and not seek some place to dispose of it properly is just a thug too lazy to even walk I suspect. It isn't a surprise the left attracts such degenerates. Hell, half the time when I am at a fast food place and see someone left some garbage on their table, I pick it up and throw it in the trash on my way. Interesting.
I dont consider myself one either. Yet I dont throw can out of the car or cups from say McDonalds. I actually walk them to a trash can. To do otherwise is just down right lazy

Last edited by Jadex; 10-06-2010 at 05:40 PM..

Old 10-06-2010, 04:19 PM

7,745 posts, read 12,689,289 times
Those bags made WAY too much noise. Thank God they are going back. What would happen if I were in a life or death situation? Say a burglar was in my hone and I needed a place to hide with food and water until the cops come. First thing I would take is my ever reliable bag of Sun Chips. But because of the loud freaking eco-friendly bags, they would be the death of me.

Old 10-06-2010, 04:41 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,645,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Now if we can just get people to realize this is how everything works in a free market, things will be as they should be.

Job pays too less for the work it requires? People do not work for the job, which forces them to pay more to be able to function. Product sells for an unreasonable price? Well, people refuse to buy it and the price drops.

If we could just get people to be more responsible in this nature, things would take care of themselves.

The problem is when people pay more because they are lazy (regardless if they can afford it) and work positions that pay less than they are worth (because they are too lazy or scared to care).
I remember from the 60's (I was just a little one) the boycotts on sugar, because the price was to high. Mom took sugar off my cereal and replaced it with a substitute. ewe... Something else was boycotted back then, but I can't remember what it was, but I do know my point. The Boycott drove down the prices nationwide! We got to go back to having cereal with sugar.

Also based on your post an example that I know: If the job of a receptionist continues to be filled at 7 bucks an hour, man oh man. It might be different if that job was just answering phones, but I worked it for several years and I wanted to go home. The receptionist allot of times will end up being the support to those office managers without a direct assistant. Not to mention the go to girl for putting together presentations, filing, board room set ups and the list grows to even doing some accounting work.

That is a 14.00 an hour job to start. And I always said if you want to know anything about a company ask the receptionist and or the mail clerk, because those two positions have the inside track.

With that said, if we the consumer only knew we had the power to change all things economically related, so much would get set to being back on track.

Bill Gates did not make his billions because he wrote code. Remember that.

From the article:
Quote:
It has been working on trying to find a quieter version of the packaging since it first introduced the new bags - a process that is continuing.

"We chose to respond to the consumer feedback but still want to show that we are committed" to compostable packaging, says Chris Kuechenmeister, a spokesman for Frito-Lay.
I'm going to step on into this. (it may bite me later) I always thought I would do well in marketing. Could be my 4.0 earned in college, but, that 'chose' to respond, no, they need to respond if they want to stay in business. They are keeping with the goal, yet at the same time, the great thinkers of the company will in the end, quite possibly pull both off. A bag that does not rattle and a bag that is environmentally friendly.

Notice the Original Sun Chip, is staying with the noisy bag. People buy according to taste. (imho) Even the chips that are less in salt, less in fat---they taste good too!

I think they are trying to determine is it the noise (packaging), or is it the taste. In the end it is the consumer who will let them know, which one it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies