Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2010, 10:42 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Reparations to the Italians?

You have to admit that CC's sea journey ranks high in terms of well documented accomplishment. He broke the ice, so to speak, in terms of ending the concept of a world with definite 'ends'. He reached across to the other side, part of which was the NA continent. The nose of a football just need to break the white line to be considered a score.

Obama never earned a Pultizer Prize yet was awarded one, so I guess the trend continues.

As for the despised conquerer CC has lately been charged with, it is thru retrospective eyes that would diminish most historic luminaries and events without holding historic norms in perspective.

It seems to be a trend to diminish heroes of the past as if to rewrite and erase history.

Pete Rose is kept out of the BB HOF while OJ keeps his Heisman and even LT gets inducted.

What do Pete Rose and CC have in common that would deny them respect for their accomplishments ? Somebody have a grudge or personal agenda?
LOL, I think you meant Nobel Prize.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 10:59 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,306,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Can you please explain your comment, it makes no sense to me.
Am I missing something?
He meant that liberals hate Colombus Day because they are so self-loathing of their own culture they don't like to be reminded of some of its greatest accomplishments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaada View Post
well what a bunch of bs
first of all you the one who needs an education, i could barely read what smart a$$ answers you were trying to write. and who would want to celebrate? Native people. yeah your hero was a murder and a slave trader. we were not starving you got that all backwards it was the first pilgrims who were starving until the who? NATIVE AMERICANS saved thier a$$ from starving. read your history, k
Yeah, we all know about hte first Winter and how the Pilgrems had trouble because they were unfamiliar with the local crops. They got some help and then, from the second year on they were fine. The tribes I was talking about where the ones who roamed the great plains following the herds of buffalo. Nomadic hunting tribes are not sustainable and are always one or two bad hunts away from starvation. It is a very primitive existance, which is why no one practices it today.
Bringing a few natives back to learn European languages hardly counts as slave trading. The native peoples weren't hardy enough to be used as slaves because they didn't have any resistance to European diseases. If they had been then Africans would not have had to be imported centuries later. Colombus was great and no amount of revisionist history will change that.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:59 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,244,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
It is a strange concept about 'discovering' a place already occupied.

So, we send a space ship out on a 10 year mission. It lands on a planet and our astronauts are greeted by beings that call themselves "Legalseaians" for example.

Our astronauts are then in a quandray. The broadcast back to Earth begins in 10 minutes. The first astronaut suggests "Let us say that we discovered life on another planet!"

Second astronaut: "Well, we can't really say we 'discovered' the Legalseaians, since they are already here".

Third astronaut: "Why not say that WE have been discovered by life on another planet?"

First astronaut: "That's silly. They did not discover us, we discovered them. It is a matter of who travelled the furthest distance."

Second astronaut: "You can't discover already established civilizations! Didn't the Columbus fiasco teach you guys anything?"

First astronaut: "What are we supposed to do then? Just say that we bumped into some old friends we have yet to meet?"

Second astronaut: "Look, when the broadcast begins, let's not say anything. Just be sure the Legalseaians are in our background, on camera, milling around or waving, and let the Earth people sort it out".

French astronaut: "Or we could just saute them in a cream-based sauce and say we did not see anybody".

(thoughtful silence)
Just because someone lives there does not mean that you cannot discover it for the first time for yourself if you did not know it was there.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:01 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,457,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
The government and bank workers needed a three day holiday in October and the only other option was Halloween which did not appeal to the Christians.

Personally, I do not celebrate Columbus Day (even though I am 1/2 Italian) because I think what happened to the Native Peoples when this continent was "discovered" and populated by Europeans is an abomination.

Samhain, on the other hand, is celebrated in my house.

Happy Halloween y'all.

20yrsinBranson
If what the native people's went through bothers you that much, you should be pissed off at EVERY country and culture in existence because they ALL went through the same things. Why must people think the founding of this country was any different than any other country?

Old 10-12-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Just because someone lives there does not mean that you cannot discover it for the first time for yourself if you did not know it was there.
So true. I discovered a great little Thai restaurant down the street last month. Judging from the wait times it is clear that I was not the first to discover it but I still discovered it.

Old 10-12-2010, 02:59 PM

13,694 posts, read 9,014,113 times
Quote:
True indeed. My little skit was merely about how such a discovery would be handled in this modern "PC" world.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:04 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,660,406 times
Quote:
That's all true. But if thousands or millions of others did know it was there, you are an idiot for acting like you did something significant and revolutionary, and so are those acolytes who continue to perpetuate the same falsehood.

Old 10-12-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
That's all true. But if thousands or millions of others did know it was there, you are an idiot for acting like you did something significant and revolutionary, and so are those acolytes who continue to perpetuate the same falsehood.

OK, so we'll celebrate the day as the day the Indigenous people of America discovered Colombus. Same difference.

Actually, they didn't know where they were in relation to anything else. Did the indigenous people even have map-making technology? That would be a surprise since they didn't have writing.

Old 10-12-2010, 04:26 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,660,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post

OK, so we'll celebrate the day as the day the Indigenous people of America discovered Colombus. Same difference.
Yes, the day they met up with an intruder who had no idea where he was.

Quote:
Actually, they didn't know where they were in relation to anything else. Did the indigenous people even have map-making technology? That would be a surprise since they didn't have writing.

Hmm. Wonder how the Mayas, Incas and Aztecs ever figured out how to build beautiful cities and develop sophisticated cosmologies; how the Taino and Arawak ever got from Venezuela and the Guianas throughout the Caribbean; how many Native groups had complicated agriculture.......such ignorant savages.

They knew exactly where they were.

Old 10-12-2010, 04:56 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,235,056 times
Wasn't Columbus lost??? If he were looking for a shortcut to China, would we be calling Native Americans Chinese? I don't see the point in celebrating it, but I won't get my undies in a bunch over it either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies