Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 11:45 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,730,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
Let's lay the blame where it belongs - on the repub part of NO. Sen. Bernie Sanders announced yesterday that he will press for passage when Congress returns in November of a one-time, $250 payment to seniors and disabled persons facing the second straight year without a cost-of-living adjustment for Social Security. The average social security runs about $1,070 per month. Based on that, a $250 one time check would be about $5.00 under the normal increase per month.
Clip:
President Obama earlier this year supported a Sanders amendment to provide a $250 payment in lieu of a cost-of-living raise for Social Security recipients and disabled veterans. The proposal was defeated on March 3, when only one Republican voted to allow the amendment to be considered.
Sanders to Propose Social Security COLA - Newsroom: U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders (Vermont)
They fail to mention that the average SS recipient is also paying for Medicare out of the their SS. That average $1,070 is further reduced by the monthly premium payment to Medicare -- a premium which increases annually. The $1,070 gross SS benefit recipient is actually receiving under $975 a month after the government extracts Medicare from it.

As an example -- monthly Medicare Part B premiums were $88.50 in 2006, $93.50 in 2007, and rose to $96.40 in 2008. Things were tweaked in 2010 so that some people are paying $110.50 a month. Don't forget that they also have to meet a deductible each year as well. The 2010 deductible was $155.

The one time $250 check makes up for the Medicare increase and leaves granny a couple of extra dollars for a tube of Polydent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 12:16 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,667,797 times
[quote=High_Plains_Retired;16237442]Several American presidents have wanted to try and repair FDR's Ponzi scheme but only after it had become the electrified "3rd rail." The American political system has become two cats fighting in the middle of a busy freeway. We should cut our loses on SS and bury it in FDR's grave.

BTW, I have paid enough into SS to qualify but they took it away from me years ago.[/quote]

I'd like to know how the government could take away your Social Security when you are qualified and paid into the system with enough years. Never heard of that. Please post an explanation.

Old 10-13-2010, 05:08 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,838,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
But I thought the Dems were all about government spending. Why not just hand out a COLA to these poor people. Geez.
Republicans don't spend money. Just Dems.

Hint: They both love to spend your money, just on different things. It's caleld an agenda, and it's not something that is new.

Old 10-13-2010, 05:29 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,863,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
I thought the Democratic party was THE party for senior citizens. What was the reason for the no COLA adjustment this time?

I am so glad I am planning on a future that DOESN'T include Social Security. Everyone should consider it dead.
It may help you to look up what COLA is an acronym of.

Old 10-13-2010, 05:35 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,961,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
It may help you to look up what COLA is an acronym of.
I think he knows. Do you? No Cost of Living Adjustment for SS recipients TWO YEARS running under the dems. Perfect timing for Nov.

Old 10-13-2010, 05:39 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,537,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
I think he knows. Do you? No Cost of Living Adjustment for SS recipients TWO YEARS running under the dems. Perfect timing for Nov.

Ummmm...lemme see if I can explain this again: There is no cost of living increase because....ready for it? THERE HAS BEEN NO RISE IN THE COST OF LIVING!

No inflation; no COLA. It's a pretty simple concept to grasp.

Old 10-13-2010, 05:42 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,863,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Ummmm...lemme see if I can explain this again: There is no cost of living increase because....ready for it? THERE HAS BEEN NO RISE IN THE COST OF LIVING!

It's simple for most to comprehend, however ...... Your response is great. It's like the old joke, "How do you sell a duck to someone hard of hearing? YOU WANT TO BUY A DUCK?".

Old 10-13-2010, 05:50 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,537,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
it's simple for most to comprehend, however ...... Your response is great. It's like the old joke, "how do you sell a duck to someone hard of hearing? you want to buy a duck?".

:d:d:d

(Those are supposed to be smiley emoticons. I don't know why they came out like that.)

Old 10-13-2010, 09:40 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
With disability it would be maybe 20 bucks. Which would certainly help in paying for the increased cost of food. Which certainly has gone up considerably.

In this state I'm eligable for food stamps. I haven't applied since I didn't need to. But I'm spending a hundred more than two years ago a month, which is a HUGE chunk of my income. So I have. Too bad for the states where recipents are not eligable and its figured in in cash. Food bank anyone?
you can say that again. For those who say "write to your congress person" we tried last year. Actually our congressman did answer, but neither senator did. It is so nice to live in a state with 2 Democrat senators.

We are so thankful for a few investments, a couple of part time jobs and a relatively small house payment. Otherwise we would be at the food bank weekly. Luckily we just work at the bank right now.

Nita

Old 10-13-2010, 09:47 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,330,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post

We get that, smarty. But congress still got their raises? (you can call it whateva you want). I notice you never replied to HappyTexan's post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That was signed 5/2010.
I posted about 2008/2009. Congress gets an automatic raise unless they vote it out which they didn't.

2008 they got $4100/month.
2009 they got $4700/month.

Congress Getting a Pay Raise – How About You?

PolitiFact | Chain e-mail says Congress raised own salaries while acting to kill Social Security benefit hikes
"by $4,100 for 2008 and by $4,700 for 2009"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies