Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 03:18 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,402,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
The pot growers were never unionized before were they? There was never an organized effort to transfer the profits, in the form of union dues, out of the state before. Once weed or the money directly derived as a result of its cultivation leave the state it falls under "interstate" commerce and is no longer intrastate.

I've written a number of representatives about this and it may indeed have some teeth to it from the feedback I received. I'd love to see the unions implode from their own greed in profiting directly from pot growers.
Well at least some marijuana industry workers are indeed unionized in the medical marijuana industry. Unions reach out to California marijuana workers | ScrippsNews I am also not going to speculate there because there isn't anything I know of to work from regarding that kind of situation. Not saying you are right, or wrong I am just saying I don't know what people may argue in such a case. Additionally, the courts view of intra- and inter- state commerce is not exactly intuitive. There are at least two cases I can think of off the top of my head where people were growing crops for their own usage, but were still infringing on the interstate commerce authority of congress according to the court.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2010, 04:27 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,363,371 times
Quote:
Doubt it. They could have done that already with the major CA cities violating immigration law as sanctuary cities. Truth is the FED needs CA tax $$ and it would likely turn into a two way boycott rather quickly.
They don't care about immigration, they do care about this, it's been all over the news today, I'm pretty sure ca. needs the money more than the Feds but no matter from what I'm seeing today Ca is going to pay if they push this, now they are talking about prop215 and that it is also illegal even if Ca. passed it. they interviewed Obama's Drug czar he said everything about the argument for prop 19 is false and it will not be allowed. it's refreshing to see the gov. stand up for something.

Old 10-16-2010, 04:30 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,968,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
They don't care about immigration, they do care about this, it's been all over the news today, I'm pretty sure ca. needs the money more than the Feds but no matter from what I'm seeing today Ca is going to pay if they push this, now they are talking about prop215 and that it is also illegal even if Ca. passed it. they interviewed Obama's Drug czar he said everything about the argument for prop 19 is false and it will not be allowed. it's refreshing to see the gov. stand up for something.
You are out there so I'll take your word for it. Interesting development to say the least. We live in interesting times indeed.

Old 10-16-2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:
You are out there so I'll take your word for it. Interesting development to say the least. We live in interesting times indeed.
Well anything could happen, I was shocked when Ca. voters decided to let the schools handle their childrens abortions so ya just never know maybe the Feds will back off but I feel they wont mainly because they are being so vocal about it.

Old 10-16-2010, 05:33 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,767,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I'm rooting for California. Not because I'm FOR pot but because I'm more against the Fed Gov.
Their "war on drugs" will start to fall apart. Without a war there is no need for funding ? Without funding there is no need for thousands of Fed employees for this "war on drugs" that we will NEVER win.

Go California...pass that law and double dog dare Holder.

Me too. Just like the AZ illegal alien issue, I support states who tell the Feds to stick it.

Obama appears to always come down on the side of big Federal Government power. I'm surprised his far left supporters have not ragged on him for opposing the CA pot situation.

Old 10-16-2010, 05:35 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,767,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
it's refreshing to see the gov. stand up for something.

What ???

Do you need the government to tell you how to live? Are government bureaucrats smarter than you?

It would be refreshing if the government let us make our own choices.

Old 10-16-2010, 05:37 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,877,477 times
There will be no smackdown... it will be exactly like the Illegal Immigration issue... Obama will order all Federal Agents to "look the other way" with marijuana... I don't expect much to happen...

Old 10-16-2010, 06:23 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,626,069 times
Quote:
Why shocked? It is called LAW ENFORCEMENT and not voter will enforcement.
Alcohol was illegal in California on a state level and the rest of the US on a federal level from 1919 to 1933.

During the Prohibition era the San Francisco Police Department refused to enforce prohibition laws due to the community being wholeheartedly against those laws.

Law enforcement agencies out of practicality have to "pick and choose" which offenses get priority.

Old 10-16-2010, 07:27 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,401,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Me too. Just like the AZ illegal alien issue, I support states who tell the Feds to stick it.

Obama appears to always come down on the side of big Federal Government power. I'm surprised his far left supporters have not ragged on him for opposing the CA pot situation.
President Obama is getting criticised in California but mainly over not moving fast enough on "Don't Ask\ Don't Tell." Obama is still very popular in California but this issue is seen more of a struggle between the DEA and the voters. I really don't see what the fuss is all about since Canada legalized marijuana years ago and it doesn't seem to have caused problems for them.

Old 10-16-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
What ???

Do you need the government to tell you how to live? Are government bureaucrats smarter than you?

It would be refreshing if the government let us make our own choices.
you can smoke dope without it being legal, i don't have to do what the government tells me. A fed. law is the law, want dope legal put it at a federal level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies