Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 12:59 PM

4,814 posts, read 3,846,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post

What do you guys think?
I was thinking that I wonder who in her church reported her for this? That's very strange.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 01:03 PM

37,981 posts, read 22,167,958 times
Is the state of Michigan expanding the federal fair housing act?

According to HUD:
In the Sale and Rental of Housing: No one may take any of the following actions based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, familial status or handicap:
  • Refuse to rent or sell housing
  • Refuse to negotiate for housing
  • Make housing unavailable
  • Deny a dwelling
  • Set different terms, conditions or privileges for sale or rental of a dwelling
  • Provide different housing services or facilities
  • Falsely deny that housing is available for inspection, sale, or rental
  • For profit, persuade owners to sell or rent (blockbusting) or
  • Deny anyone access to or membership in a facility or service (such as a multiple listing service) related to the sale or rental of housing.
Fair Housing In Michigan - Renting

Old 10-22-2010, 01:05 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,397,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Does this mean web dating services/bulletin boards/classifieds can't state preferences either?
I don't think so unless dating services all of a sudden have something to do with housing practices.

Old 10-22-2010, 01:09 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,686,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
What is this country coming to when individuals are not allowed to pick and choose who they want living in their home with them ?
She can. But if she falls under the Fair Housing laws, she has to at least follow the rules about how she finds a renter.

Old 10-22-2010, 01:09 PM

This story is being reported by other news networks

Fox News: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/10/22...advertisement/
MLive: http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapi...to_post_a.html
NBC Grand Rapids affiliate: http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/michi...for-churchgoer
ABC Grand Rapids affiliate: http://www.wzzm13.com/news/news_stor...36211&catid=14
Here's the paperwork filed by attorneys: http://oldsite.alliancedefensefund.o...ghtsLetter.pdf

Old 10-22-2010, 01:11 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,960,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
What is this country coming to when individuals are not allowed to pick and choose who they want living in their home with them ?
They are allowed. But a complaint was made that is being investigated. It will work out.

Old 10-22-2010, 01:18 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,285,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
It would have been a hell of a lot easier to simply put in the ad she wanted a person with "Christian Values".

She probably violated one of the statues of the Fair Housing Act. My guess you that you cannot specifically advertise housing and specify you ONLY want a person of a specific, race, religion, or ethnic background.
If it is your house, do you really think that government has the right to tell you who you can or can't allow to live in it.

As MOgal says, this is nothing more than PC run amok further than I have ever seen.

Old 10-22-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
I was thinking that I wonder who in her church reported her for this? That's very strange.
Nancy Haynes of the Fair Housing Center told 24 Hour News 8 the woman has every right to seek and live with a Christian roommate -- but advertising for it publicly, even on a church bulletin board, violates federal law.

"She can be a Christian and she can even use that as a criteria for who she wants to rent to. She just can't state that. Because to state that is a violation of the Fair Housing Act," she said. "There are certain exceptions that apply. She can actually, in practice, not rent to a non-Christian. But she can't make the statement. The statement alone is a violation of the act. What she can do in practice she can't make a statement about."

Haynes said the Fair Housing Center began investigating after someone in the congregation, who was offended, filed a complaint.

Christian roommate ad spurs action | WOOD TV8

This is looking more and more like government run amok, but hey, it makes me all the more anxious for bureaucrats like this to run our health care system.

Old 10-22-2010, 01:26 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,638,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
How the hell is it OK to discriminate against a gender if you think it is not OK to list a religion as a requirement? Race, gender, religion, ethnicity... it seems like it should be either all are fair game or none are.
Well, when I was renting out a room in my old house as a 19 year old female, I wouldn't really feel comfortable living with a older man. I believe you are allowed to specify gender requests if you share a bathroom. I can understand if a woman prefers to live with another woman, or a man prefers to live with another man.

Old 10-22-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Well, when I was renting out a room in my old house as a 19 year old female, I wouldn't really feel comfortable living with a older man. I believe you are allowed to specify gender requests if you share a bathroom. I can understand if a woman prefers to live with another woman, or a man prefers to live with another man.
According to Michigan law, you can choose to exclude certain people from being your roommate, you just cannot advertise your preferences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies