Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 09:50 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
But...but...it is also the Day of the DEAD. That is actually two days. The first day is for innocents.

The Navajo also have the day of the dead.

And its my freaking birthday. And I will be like 40.
Ooooo, scary! I have a coworker with a Halloween birthday who will be 50 this year.

Happy birthday in advance. Life is short. Eat all the candy you want that day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 09:51 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
There is often snow falling or on the ground in metro Denver at Halloween. There may be this year.

Denver Halloween Snow Statistics
A little dated, but still accurate.

Old 10-23-2010, 09:52 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,055,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I think the largely commercialized Halloween is stupid. However, kids going out to get candy and dressing up for a day, whats not fun about that?

I know a lot of people get upset with it because its a celtic holiday, dealing with the devil and other bad things. But honestly, Christmas has roots in the same traditions as Halloween. Christians just changed the meanings of some of the winters solstice celebration to fit their religious needs.

That is why I don't like it (and the same reason I don't like Christmas). I could care less about the religious aspect.

5,546 posts, read 10,001,241 times
I think Halloween is my favorite holiday. It's rumored all the spirits come out that day.

3,562 posts, read 5,228,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I love this idea! What a creative mom you are! Another good idea is to use grape drink (or mix orange juice and grape juice together to get a really ugly color) and put inside rubber gloves (make sure they are not the kind with powder inside, lol) and freeze them to make "hands" that you can float in a punch bowl.
I am so doing it. Thanks. Your a really dang creative mom yourself.

Old 10-23-2010, 09:55 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,228,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Ooooo, scary! I have a coworker with a Halloween birthday who will be 50 this year.

Happy birthday in advance. Life is short. Eat all the candy you want that day!
Thank you.

And lucky for me.....my son hates peanut butter and chocolate. I will so score!!

6,175 posts, read 12,940,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
I think it is a stupid holiday to celebrate.
So don't celebrate it. Where's the problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I think the largely commercialized Halloween is stupid. However, kids going out to get candy and dressing up for a day, whats not fun about that?

I know a lot of people get upset with it because its a celtic holiday, dealing with the devil and other bad things. But honestly, Christmas has roots in the same traditions as Halloween. Christians just changed the meanings of some of the winters solstice celebration to fit their religious needs.
I know people like that, and I don't get it. It's taking something that was once ominous in meaning and turning it into something innocuous. Kids have been dressing up and trick-or-treating for years and we didn't grow up to be devil worshippers or anything because of it. My cynical self says they are just too cheap to buy candy.

My mother's church, which has latched on to this Halloween-is-evil concept in recent years, came up with an alternate party idea. On Halloween they have a Noah's Ark party. The kids come dressed as animals (rather than devils or witches) and they have games and treats. This way they get to have costumes and sweets like everybody else without summoning the forces of darkness.

Old 10-23-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
Thank you.

And lucky for me.....my son hates peanut butter and chocolate. I will so score!!
Oh YEAH! I used to automatically get all the stuff like Mounds and Almond Joys, which I LOVE, because my daughter hates coconut.

Old 10-23-2010, 10:00 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,621,890 times
When I was a kid I was told we dressed up to scare the "evil" away...I love the handing out candy but I hate to be scared-I've seen maybe three scary movies-and I've gone to one haunted house-so in that aspect no I don't like Halloween but I love candy and seeing kids dressed up-so what's wrong with that? If you are going to complain about a STUPID holiday-how about Valentine's day?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies