Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 09:08 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,475,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
The problem there isn't that it's Halloween. It's that some parents are stupid enough to let their 8 & 10 year old kids go out unaccompanied by a responsible adult who could make sure that some older kids weren't going to beat them up & take their candy.
Good point. When I was 12 and 13, I trick or treated unaccompanied. But before that, I had an adult with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 09:14 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,632,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
I swear, some of you people became such joyless ****s when you grew up.
They probably were not allowed to celebrate Halloween.

Old 10-23-2010, 09:17 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,475,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
I swear, some of you people became such joyless ****s when you grew up.
No, we just grew up and outgrew Halloween. It's not normal for adults to dress up and go trick or treating. I don't care what the origin of Halloween is; these days Halloween is just about candy and trick or treating.

Old 10-23-2010, 09:31 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,145,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
I think it is a stupid holiday to celebrate.
Since the economy of our nation is no longer built on agriculture, it is difficult to understand how a harvest-based festival that honors our ancestors is important. Modern consumer culture has turned what was once a beautiful and solemn event into something that is stupid and cheesy - much like all the other important holidays. Many people, like yourself, who don't understand, and have no knowledge of the historical significance, don't like it.

More's the pity.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-23-2010, 09:52 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,788,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
By the way, domestic violence rates raise higher on Sunday's, during football games, then any other time. This is includes the Superbowl. However, you are correct. DV DOES go up on holidays; compared to other days.
Sounds like you'd do well to take some of those holidays off & enjoy normal for a change. I've made some cinnamon molasses cookies but the pumpkin pie is already spoken for by a neighbor. Stop by the porch I'll pour you some fresh (un-fermented) cider. Blue ridge parkway is ablaze in autumn leaves- a sight to behold. In Blue Ridge Mountains, autumn hues are wedded with history - Los Angeles Times

I promise you the whole world isn't a cesspool. Thanks for your service BTW.

Old 10-23-2010, 09:54 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,701,662 times
Halloween is my favorite holiday If you don't like Halloween I guess not celebrating would be best. My husband and I don't love Christmas so we tend to go off somewhere warm for Christmas and New Years and that works really well for us

We and 150 of our closest friends go away for the weend and all dress up for Halloween for the entire weekend. We have Halloween contest and everything! We love every minute of it! Lots of hot tub sitting, pool party, dancing, bar hopping etc.

Old 10-23-2010, 09:59 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,788,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Since the economy of our nation is no longer built on agriculture, it is difficult to understand how a harvest-based festival that honors our ancestors is important.
Gratitude is timeless. Doesn't matter what our economy is based on or where we live to be grateful.

Old 10-23-2010, 10:06 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,325,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
No, we just grew up and outgrew Halloween. It's not normal for adults to dress up and go trick or treating. I don't care what the origin of Halloween is; these days Halloween is just about candy and trick or treating.
No adults I know go trick-or-treating.
Instead, adults are supposed to have their own Halloween display/haunted house so trick-or-treaters can enjoy them.

Old 10-23-2010, 10:09 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,701,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
No adults I know go trick-or-treating.
Instead, adults are supposed to have their own Halloween display/haunted house so trick-or-treaters can enjoy them.

How about an adult Halloween party just for adults. We fin that works really really well

Old 10-23-2010, 10:12 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,632,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
How about an adult Halloween party just for adults...
Yeah, stuff like that is huge in my city.

The gays especially love Halloween. (Not a slight. It is true.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies