Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 08:55 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,606,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
If the republican policies are so good for our economy, why would we be feeling desperation right now? Do you not think that we enjoy a prosperous economy?

Those of us who see the devastated economy from GWB beginning to improve, shudder at the thought of Republicans destroying it again!
You can only really have one jobless recovery.
A second one will not work because of the debt overhead from the first.

We had a jobless recovery after 9-11/dot com burst.
The debt generated from that is evident.

GWB did not devastate the economy..it was a long time in coming.
Economies don't crumble overnight. Repealing Glass-Steagall allowed the banks to get involved where they were once forbidden. That alone took years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 08:55 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,207,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I do understand. I do not think we will ever go back to what we had.
We are in a transition period. Good for third world countries that are growing and increasing their standard of living and purchasing power but bad for us because we will have to lower ours so that we meet somewhere in the middle.

Global economy..global workforce. Is global governance next on the agenda ?
t r u t h o u t | Robert Reich | The Tortoise Economy

There's an excellent piece he wrote in 2008 or early 2009 on the choice between cyclical vs structural change that I used to doggedly post here over and over but dont see it now - I'll find it.

Please drop the nutty "global governance?" paranoia at least until a real antiChrist comes along.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:56 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,731,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
It is not where we need to be but better than it has been. Maybe there is some light at the end of the tunnel.
Good. It is the right direction.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:59 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,865,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Yikes, that is like bragging about being the worlds tallest midget.

If the economy is so splendid why is the Fed talking about QE2? (google it, it's not a ship)

Is this better?

Quote:
Mounting layoffs, home foreclosures, credit card defaults, the rising cost of living and the declining value of retirement savings have had a devastating impact on broad layers of the population. The Commerce Department reported an extraordinary 8.7 percent third quarter decline in disposable personal income—that is, income after taxes and adjusted for inflation. This is the largest fall ever recorded since figures were first kept in 1947.
GDP, consumer spending contract as US plunges into recession

Old 10-29-2010, 09:03 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,780,556 times
Quote:
Thanks for proving my point. I think we all remember what things were like 18 months ago. So the best growth since then is like being the worlds tallest.....

Old 10-29-2010, 09:03 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,969,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
t r u t h o u t | Robert Reich | The Tortoise Economy

There's an excellent piece he wrote in 2008 or early 2009 on the choice between cyclical vs structural change that I used to doggedly post here over and over but dont see it now - I'll find it.

Please drop the nutty "global governance?" paranoia at least until a real antiChrist comes along.
Reich;he was one that touted the success of the stimulus passed until the numbers came in. You don't get much more left in a econmist really.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:05 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,207,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Reich;he was one that touted the success of the stimulus passed until the numbers came in. You don't get much more left in a econmist really.
What did you think of the article?

Old 10-29-2010, 09:06 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,865,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Thanks for proving my point. I think we all remember what things were like 18 months ago. So the best growth since then is like being the worlds tallest.....
What is your point again? That any improvement made to the economy after terrific devastation by the Republicans is not good enough? Do the Republicans need the Democrats to get it booming again so that the Republicans and company have something to rape again?

Old 10-29-2010, 09:08 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,875,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
There is true hope now as the republicans are about to take the house where money is spent. The light at the end of the tunnel is flood of 60 or so new republicans who want to get the budget under control.
Go to that light embrace that light. That light is true hope
Are you for real? when did the Repugs get a budget under control? talk about drinking the kool-aid.

oh I forgot good news about the economy doesn't support the lies from the right... oh well deal.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:09 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,780,556 times
Quote:
What is your point again? That any improvement made to the economy after terrific devastation by the Republicans is not good enough? Do the Republicans need the Democrats to get it booming again so that the Republicans and company have something to rape again?
My point is that the damage caused by the Dem controlled congress was exascebated by having a Dem in the White House. The Dems are so tone deaf they think this awful economy is just dandy.

My point will be proven on Tuesday when the Demns get their eviction notice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies