Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2011, 08:46 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
I always laugh at those that are willing to defend big business at every turn, especially since they do not give a hoot about you. I also saw the same when the oil companies were making their excuses for high prices a few years back and I am sure they will defend them again and blame Obama for them when prices shoot through the roof again. Sheep.
Casper
Of course big business cares about you.

Many big businesses are not unionized but still pay very well. And offer great benefits. And have given great Christmas bonuses. Including me! The people that I know who are in unionized jobs did not receive bonuses. Those in non union jobs did.

The non union people That I know earn a better living than the unionized people that I know.

I feel sorry for those who hold big business responsible for their own failures.

As far as minimum wage, I was following the OP's statement that minimum wage does not cause job loss to its logical conclusion.

Wouldn't people be better off with more money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 08:52 AM

2,208 posts, read 1,836,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htlong View Post
min.wage is for high school students and people to break into the work force not for a father of 6 to raise a family on
So the poor should just die? We shouldn't pay a livable wage because of this scenario that hardly ever happens? The birthrate of the poor is not 6 children. The average family size is about the same as the national average. In fact, only 5.8% of families were under the poverty level whereas 19.1% of single people were. 26.6% of single parent households were in poverty.

For welfare recipients, 73% of them had two or fewer children this is versus 79% for the total nation. Thus, family size is only slightly larger.

Why not have a livable wage?

Old 01-01-2011, 08:55 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,376,944 times
why not get an education or not be satisfied with a job at mcdonalds! or keep it in your pants or legs closed till you can afford children!

Old 01-01-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:
if there was no gap why would anyone strive to suceed?
The gap is not there as an incentive. The gap was a response to greed. In fact, it's widening.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:57 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
The gap is not there as an incentive. The gap was a response to greed. In fact, it's widening.
Greed is good.

Otherwise, we would not have the technological advances that we have.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
work to be apart of the high end of the gap!

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Of course big business cares about you.Really?

Many big businesses are not unionized but still pay very well. And offer great benefits. And have given great Christmas bonuses. Including me! The people that I know who are in unionized jobs did not receive bonuses. Those in non union jobs did.Got a thing for unions I see, hey I am not a fan either but big businesses and their treatment of their workers is exactly why unions were form, they can only blame themselves.

The non union people That I know earn a better living than the unionized people that I know.Depends on the job, but as I said unions are not the issue here.

I feel sorry for those who hold big business responsible for their own failures.Explain further, venting here is fine if you have some sort of arguement to go with it.

As far as minimum wage, I was following the OP's statement that minimum wage does not cause job loss to its logical conclusion.

Wouldn't people be better off with more money?
Sure more money is always fine and that is why many of us have applied ourseleves, to make more money. That said there should be a minimum thatan employer can pay their workers and again we get back to their past actions as the reason there is one. I am sure many businesses would be fair in their treatment of their workers, the problem is there are plenty that would not, why do you think some companies off-shore jobs, they pay slave labor wages ten seel those products at their normal rate to those they laid off, something that should be stopped, produced overseas, pay the import taxes, end of that problem. You trust big business to do the right thing if you wish, I will keep my eyes open.
Casper

Quote:
why not get an education or not be satisfied with a job at mcdonalds! or keep it in your pants or legs closed till you can afford children!
Got a better argument than this?

1) There is an education gap associated with the income gap. Public schools in poorer communities are worse than in richer communities. Not to mention the cost of university is too high and actually prevents poor students from attending.

2) We are humans. People will have sex. The best thing to do is to try to eliminate the wealth gap so that people can have an education and thus better job prospects so they can afford the children.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:00 AM

Quote:
work to be apart of the high end of the gap!
Please take time to actually understand the issues prior to posting. This way, it ensures you're not wasting anyone's time as well as your own. Thanks.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:02 AM

what issues? like wanting the govt. to babysit you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies