Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 09:29 PM

3,728 posts, read 4,868,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
Well, I was thinking about this just today. I, a white guy, voted for Obama for four reasons. One, he would put a different face on American for the world to see. Two, his being elected would show conclusively that though all things might not be perfectly equal, anyone of any ethnic background can be elected President. Three, he is a great orator and could help give public confidence to the people during this period of economic hardship. And four, John McCain had Sarah Palin as a running mate.
How come none of your reasons for voting for Obama included "I think he would do a good job" or "I share many of his beliefs" or "I think he would support policies that I support"?

It all basically boils down to:

1) Europeans won't think I'm racist.

2) I can tell people I know that I am not racist because I voted for Obama.

3) He's a good speaker.

4) I think he is a good enough speaker that people won't notice they are unemployed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 09:32 PM

379 posts, read 211,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusk99 View Post
It wasn't the point of Tim Wise's article, but it was one of his basic assumptions that minorities will automatically vote Democrat.
I think his point was that the White Male system of power and superiority is dying out.....that the world will be really different.....that people who have had a very different life experience will be in control, therefore, different policies......and maybe even a more compassionate country because of that experiential knowledge learned over years and generations. The "White male system"........which today is really a value system that includes both genders.....has controlled this country from the start, except there were no "Founding Mothers"......but all of that is changing. The feeling of "entitlement" which most white folks were just raised to believe in will die as the demographics of this country change and they become the minority.

Who knows what the political parties will be 40 years from now? I think he meant that the "majority" at that point will vote overwhelmingly for different policies and programs than the ones which have motivated the "white man" all these years.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusk99 View Post
Your assumption that just because the the Tea Party is majority white then they must be racist is flawed. If anything, they are the less racist because they want a colorblind society in which minorities are not given handouts and affirmative action just because the Democrats tell them they are not capable of competing on an equal level. That is REAL racism, aka plantation politics.
LOL .....the tea party wants a "colorblind society"? OMG. That is too funny. And if I hear that rationalization for wanting to get rid of programs which help the needy, I'm gonna puke. LOL "Somebody" has worked very hard over the years selling that absurd notion that public assistance makes people lazy and "insecure" about their ability to earn money. And lots of people are just so eager to "save" the needy from the assistance they need to feed their families and survive, that that theory probably seems like it came straight from heaven. . BS. That's total BS. Show me the PROOF.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
Can you say D-E-N-I-A-L? The Dems and the liberals are turning themselves into knots trying to explain the significance of the election without actually coming to grips with the possibility that a majority of the country have simply rejected the progressive agenda.
No. He's saying "you folks are gonna die"...........and everything changes eventually.......and your values are not the values of the people who are going to be the majority after you die. You're gonna die. Deny that fact all you want, but it won't change the reality that you're gonna die sooner rather than later. You "turn" is almost over. Things will change. YOUR values are not necessarily the values of the people who will follow you. And the numbers already show that the majority who follow you will not be white. He's saying that your turn is coming to an end.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:46 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,032,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
How come none of your reasons for voting for Obama included "I think he would do a good job" or "I share many of his beliefs" or "I think he would support policies that I support"?

It all basically boils down to:

1) Europeans won't think I'm racist.

2) I can tell people I know that I am not racist because I voted for Obama.

3) He's a good speaker.

4) I think he is a good enough speaker that people won't notice they are unemployed.
I actually almost voted for the Libertarian candidate. How's that for a wide spectrum? In the end it came down to "Obama was the best choice, taking all things into account". So you're wrong about your rather odd #1 and #2, (but good try at baiting the white guy). As for #3, it's really included in #4. And I'd say that turned out to be a valid reason.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:04 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,116,366 times
Quote:
Well, I was thinking about this just today. I, a white guy, voted for Obama for four reasons. One, he would put a different face on American for the world to see. Two, his being elected would show conclusively that though all things might not be perfectly equal, anyone of any ethnic background can be elected President. Three, he is a great orator and could help give public confidence to the people during this period of economic hardship. And four, John McCain had Sarah Palin as a running mate.

Now as to "taken your country back", to me this refers to the people being in charge of the government rather than the other way around. Yes, "the people" are still mostly white people but I really don't think anyone should have to apologize for that. Contrary to what some folks (including apparently Tim Wise) may think, white folks aren't evil. The "monster" analogy really is not appropriate. But then, racist analogies usually aren't.
Those are the reasons you voted for Obama? God help this nation.

Thank you for confirming what we've known all along: Obama was all about glitz, glam, and history making. Nothing at all to do with actually leading this nation.

What a shame (and a sham).

Old 11-04-2010, 10:12 PM

3,728 posts, read 4,868,710 times
Quote:
I actually almost voted for the Libertarian candidate. How's that for a wide spectrum? In the end it came down to "Obama was the best choice, taking all things into account". So you're wrong about your rather odd #1 and #2, (but good try at baiting the white guy). As for #3, it's really included in #4. And I'd say that turned out to be a valid reason.
My point isn't that you voted for Obama, but rather you did it for stupid reasons. If you said that you are a libertarian because it sounds cool, I'd mock that too. It's sorta like those people who voted for Bush because they would like to have a beer with him.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:16 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
The Tea Party was originally a constitutionalist's party. I think pioneered by Ron Paul. Then it transformed into some type of hillbilly redneck party. LOL!!!!!!!!!!
That is as funny as those who thing Obama is a muslim terrorist really. Deep think there but it artsy guy who has all those problems relating at work;so no surprise.Those reedneck sure got alot of those former Obam progressive votes it seems.I guess those 60's films of the hippie movemnt remind you of redneck also.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:47 PM

487 posts, read 636,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD360 View Post
LOL .....the tea party wants a "colorblind society"? OMG. That is too funny. And if I hear that rationalization for wanting to get rid of programs which help the needy, I'm gonna puke. LOL "Somebody" has worked very hard over the years selling that absurd notion that public assistance makes people lazy and "insecure" about their ability to earn money. And lots of people are just so eager to "save" the needy from the assistance they need to feed their families and survive, that that theory probably seems like it came straight from heaven. . BS. That's total BS. Show me the PROOF.
If they can't support themselves they shouldn't be having 5 children all with different men. I'm not totally against welfare, but there should be a few requirements. First, it should come with the requirement of giving up the right to vote. This is because people will inevitably vote to keep milking the system for free money. Two, mandatory drug testing. Three, agree to have no more children while on welfare. If any of these conditions are violated the welfare should be stopped immediately.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:50 PM

487 posts, read 636,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD360 View Post
No. He's saying "you folks are gonna die"...........and everything changes eventually.......and your values are not the values of the people who are going to be the majority after you die. You're gonna die. Deny that fact all you want, but it won't change the reality that you're gonna die sooner rather than later. You "turn" is almost over. Things will change. YOUR values are not necessarily the values of the people who will follow you. And the numbers already show that the majority who follow you will not be white. He's saying that your turn is coming to an end.
Only because the democrats are allowing an illegal invasion of the country by refusing to secure the border. What makes you think that everything will continue the way they are for the next 40 years? You think the majority aren't going to wake up and accept this? Also, if it does go on like this it will no longer be one country in reality, just in name only. It could split up.

Also, the only thing keeping this train going is the economic prosperity. Its likely that the economy will collapse due to the 13 trillion dollar debt. Peak oil is another factor to consider. Anything is possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies