Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2010, 09:39 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,268,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Is that also why you guys lost so badly in 2006 and 2008?

Stop your stinkin' gloating for crying out loud. It's one damn election. In case you haven't noticed, we flip party control back and forth in this country fairly often lately.
The American people are generally very fickle. The Democrats did well in 2008 since people were unhappy with the way things were. They wanted change, which in politcal terms simply means someone else. They got them. What they didn't see was it was a bigger thing than a political party can fix but fundamental change. Neither party with their own agenda is going to fix it and tea partiers who are determined never to compromise will do even less. So, we'll get a new mix. It won't fix it either and people will be just as unhappy so we flop.

There are two problems here. One is that the economic structure of the world has changed and we are feeling the effects of it now. It isn't going to help to scream it isn't fair. Nor is it going to help to say its their fault. Only reasoned discussion and consideration and higher displays of intelligence and realism will. Sadly, not much of that on anyones side lately.

Two is that we have an emotional war of words going on which is making people feel better. Call "them" a name and you feel better. Denounce whatever "they" are saying without even bothering to talk about it and your sure that if someone would just do your idea in pure form you'd show them everything will be fine. When someone says this is a new world its too scary to think about so just go and deny it. This is effectively preventing any discussion. Unless the whole senate and house were of one mind it wouldn't really help with this rational in place.

In order to solve the problem, we need to do several things. Quit calling each other names. This just vanquishes any chance of any discussion or solution. Face it, no ONE point of view is going to get all they want and names make sure nobody gets anything. Face reality. Tomorrow is different from yesterday. Factories who used to employ many Americans for many dollars an hour are employing many Chinese and Indians, etc for a couple of dollars a day. They won't be back. The world is adjusting. Many, me included, don't like that it is like this but it is. Living in view or de nial won't make it different. We need to realistically look at the world AS IT REALLY IS and find ways to fix the problems it created when it changed.

And for many it will mean a long term loss in what we came to see the "standards" of how we live. Which means that maybe you don't need to have two cars, that you don't need the megamansion, that you don't eat out so much, that you can't live off of credit. Hard stuff for those who never really have had to. But we have to come up with a standard which is both sustainable and reasonable. Being hungry isn't, living on you relatives couch isn't, having no way to get to a job if you got an offer isn't. We need to deal and in that deal lose the names and the denial and the whining about what is lost. We need to be willing to change and be willing to compromise on what we as individuals think is the best idea. Its a whole new ballgame and perhaps the solution isn't in anyones own ideas but bits and pieces of everyone's put together in a new way.

I'm probably dreaming but unless we get our of out present trap well flipflop until the revolution fixes things in a very much more drastic way or the new leader eliminates the need for any more pesky elections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 09:40 PM

171 posts, read 327,127 times
I'm curious - how did that woman get to have 5 children? Self-insimmination?

You sound like you hate women. Feel free to consider the alternatives. Of course, if the repub O'Donnell Christine had gotten to a high place, the alternative might have been illegal! As she said, "what am I here for?" Too bad the mom of 5's man/men put things in the right place to create a little one! Usually there's a charge for entertainment.

Then again, maybe she had the same doctor as "octomom". Good man, he is, and most likely a good Republican.

Dear Lord....how does one become so consumed with such venom? Again, I'm curious if you really do hate women or just some women.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:48 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,321,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waianaegirl View Post
How many of them are illegals, though? I had this lady, behind me in the gorcery stor check out, have her son pick out as much candy as he wanted. All kinds of junk food, beer, cigarettes. She paid with food stamps too. She spoke no English.
I'm not in the habit of calling someone a liar but what you say simply does not ring true. Especially since you can't buy Cigs or beer with EBT. Also you have to show proof of citizenship when you apply so it sounds like you made that story up.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:13 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,036,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Wait until November 30 when the unemployment extensions expire and the Republicans block November extensions , 5.5 Million people will be hungry and Food Stamp Card Holders will INCREASE exponentially .
I'll probably be one of them.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:20 PM

171 posts, read 327,127 times
If you do lose your job, or your unemployment benefits, you might consider moving to Oklahoma for a while. There are some jobs here. They say we are doing better than most states. You can always go back home when things pick up.

Most people who live here WANT to live here.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:25 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,961,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusk99 View Post
Yes, and its determined by liberals like you. The same liberals which provide incentives to women to have 5 children all by different men. I'm not arguing against food stamps and welfare altogether, but we should take away the incentives. We should set a few conditions such as drug testing and requiring women on food stamps to agree to have themselves sterilized so they don't create a whole new generation with the same affliction. They also should not have the right to vote because they will vote to keep receiving free money 100% of the time.
The result of simultaneous ingesting of mad dog 20/20, special brownies, meth, and Rush Limper!!!

Old 11-04-2010, 10:36 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,036,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusk99 View Post
The "poverty level" is subjective. Today we define poverty as people with a roof over their heads, running water, electricity, a television, and a personal automobile. Today's "poor" people have higher standards of living than the vast majority of humans throughout history.
And shouldn't we be proud of the fact that few Americans die of hunger and live in squalor? Or would you prefer that we go back to this?...

Old 11-04-2010, 11:00 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,243,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
You've just spent 3 trillion and counting giving Iraqis and Afghani's new schools, roads, hospitals, elections, water, electricity, oil facility repair, etc, etc.

So get over the Food Stamp thing. If you can shell it out for foreigners who wouldn't pee on you if you were on fire, you can pay to feed Americans.
It's time someone represented the taxpayer in this nation's political system. Our elected leaders cannot throw away our hard-earned money fast enough, and cannot even limit themselves to giving it away to Americans who parasitize off of society.

The fact that politicians waste taxpayer's dollars on a variety of ridiculous things does not mean we should excuse ANY of it.

This is the cost of an overgrown federal government: huge amounts of money confiscated from taxpayers and wasted by an army of politicians who get power from giving it away. There is only one solution--reducing the size of government so much that it simply doesn't have all our money to give away. This could be accomplished by reforming the federal level back to what was intended by the Founding Fathers: a small Federal government funded entirely by tariffs. The taxpayer would be left with the vast majority of what they earn, thus creating a thriving economy and new jobs. We would be protected from equalizing totally with Third World wages by abandoning the nation-destroying globalism that has hurt us so badly. Social programs could be continued at the local level, where social services are most efficiently provided.

The Founding Fathers knew that a supreme Federal Government that could tax the incomes of the citizens would be disastrous for the prosperity of the nation, as we have seen. This is why they did everything they could to prevent it from taking over all power. However, the American people didn't keep paying attention, and the Federal monster grew. This inevitably creates a nation of workers who are slaves to the Federal government, which gives away their money in a million different ways--none of which benefit the health of the country.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:01 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
This is what the right wing is all about: selfishness.

I'm in the life boat. Too bad for you.
When the food stamp crowd has $700 for groceries and the working people are squeezing their belts with maybe $100 or so for groceries, something is very very wrong.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:09 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwildboar View Post
I think alot of people commenting on here have never known or been around lots of people on Government assistance, I come from New Mexico and I have seen it my whole life, you got 15 year old Mexican girls and one of her many baby daddies in an Cadillac Escalade on big expensive wheels, with designer purses, nice clothes, the flashiest cell phones, the babies have a million toys.As a kid all but one of the kids I hung around with had food stamps, they would go into the convience store and come out with candy,burritos,cokes,jerky and whatever else while I didnt have the money to buy a piece of bubble gum, but I never cared then, now that Im older I see way too much abuse of the system by young guys and girls.I even have a few relatives who use that system for all they can, they are perfectly capable of working ,they would rather make a living off of the system, and they seem to live pretty good too, I pay 3 times more for my 1 bedroom apt than they pay for their 3 bedroom house they are renting, and my apt is nothing fancy, just about the cheapest I can get here.
That seems to be the norm. On food stamp day around here, you see the most obese segment of the population come waddling through the store with a half dozen kids and often the current boyfriend is there adding beer to the cart. All kind of lard, steaks, brand name products, soft drinks, candy, cookies, premium ice creams and they pull out the food stamp card for all the junk food but have no trouble coming up with the cash for the beer and cigarettes. And of course not a word of English spoken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies