Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2010, 07:36 AM

2,311 posts, read 2,829,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSC1 View Post
Most poor people are poor because of the choices THEY made in life. We could cut 50+% off of food stamps and aid programs with all the fraud and waste going on there. The requirements should be difficult and I hope the republicans introduce reforms to slow the growth of this fraud down. Get off the forums and get an education, get out and look for a job, or start a small business and leave us the hell alone with your holier than thou preaching about how you need MY money. I made the right choices in life with no breaks for me. You should have too.
Thats ridiculous. I live in one of the most expensive zip codes in the country and during my drive by a new vet begging for money at an intersection everyday around the VA. You should go and tell these guys that they made those choices and should live with them. Me personally, I'd rather they did'nt have to deal with the a-hole holier than thou jokes like yourself
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Chicken and fish, no matter what supermarket you buy it at, is cheaper then beef.
Where are you buying fish for less then beef? Honestly, I would like to know since I prefer not to eat red meat.

Old 11-06-2010, 07:41 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,353,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
I agree that junk food should not be disallowed on food stamps. I would suggest soda, candy to start. It doesn't make sense.

I also think there are posters on this board who don't realize that many working people still qualify for food stamps, mostly minimum wage workers. I also suspect that these same posters are the 'take any job' posters. I took 'any job' and am only $100 above the food stamp limit. If I fall below full-time, I am eligible. You can be damn sure I'll file for FS if that happens.

And you have every right to do so. America is now full of the "working poor". Hard working, well intentioned folks, but not earning enough to make it. I'm in favor of people getting foodstamps who are deserving. In my previous post, I was just expressing disgust at someone morbidly obese, overflowing the cart, eating snack cakes before she'd even paid for them (if she paid for them), while rolling through the aisles. Just piggish. She paid for her purchases (which included chips, cookies, etc., and frozen prepared stuff; no fresh vegetables or fruit, that I could see) in food stamps. I don't know what her economical or health situation is, but her behavior DID make me judge her. If she is disabled or obese due to health reasons, that is one thing, but then why are these enormously obese people permitted to worsen their condition at the taxpayer's expense? Some dietary purchase restrictions, PLEASE.

Old 11-06-2010, 07:45 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoey View Post
Where are you buying fish for less then beef? Honestly, I would like to know since I prefer not to eat red meat.
Cheap fish, maybe.

But I agree with you. I've cut out a great deal of red meat out of my diet, and most of the fish I buy costs me more money then it would to buy cheap beef. But I supplement my diet with fruit and vegetables, and just eat less meat period. The meat I do eat, I try to make sure has the most nutrient potential, to make the most of what I'm eating.

Old 11-06-2010, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Cheap fish, maybe.

But I agree with you. I've cut out a great deal of red meat out of my diet, and most of the fish I buy costs me more money then it would to buy cheap beef. But I supplement my diet with fruit and vegetables, and just eat less meat period. The meat I do eat, I try to make sure has the most nutrient potential, to make the most of what I'm eating.
I live 3 blocks from the ocean and the only fish that I can buy here for less then tubed up 80/20 ground chuck is tilapia at about $2.50/lb on average.

I hear you in terms of supplementing with fresh fruits and veggies, I do tend to eat more lean meat and eggs. But really I have to wonder where, and what, the poster who claims that beef is more expensive then fish is buying and where they live. Maybe Hawaii?

Old 11-06-2010, 07:58 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
I live 3 blocks from the ocean and the only fish that I can buy here for less then tubed up 80/20 ground chuck is tilapia at about $2.50/lb on average.

I hear you in terms of supplementing with fresh fruits and veggies, I do tend to eat more lean meat and eggs. But really I have to wonder where, and what, the poster who claims that beef is more expensive then fish is buying and where they live. Maybe Hawaii?
I think he is picking and choosing.

I mean, Grade A angus T-Bones are going to cost more than catfish caught from SE Asia.

But fresh Mahi, snapper, and some of the other fish I enjoy (I live 10 steps from the water, and I'm a half a mile boat ride from the gulf), could be seen as top end fish, just like angus is top end beef.

Old 11-06-2010, 07:59 AM

Location: City - Prefer the country. People shouldn't have to live where they can't see the stars.
98 posts, read 283,813 times
At the beginning of this thread, OldHippieLady said:

Quote:
Which is worse? A wealthy "entitled" person taking advantage of the system or a poor person taking advantage of the system. Why are they not frowned upon as much? Are they a better person because they know how to work the system, making tons of dollars, living in a multi-million dollar home and claiming only about $50,000 a year income? Get real!
Okie Dokie, here's what's real. That wealthy person is trying to hold on to THEIR OWN MONEY. The operative words are 'making tons of dollars'. They made it or inherited it, either way, that money wasn't given to them by US taxpayers. They made choices that put them in a money-earning position. The poor person taking advantage of the welfare system is using MY money. And again, most of those people have made choices that have put them in their position as well. And I don't want to hear about being born into poverty, blah, blah, blah. This country offers lots of options for education to our poor. They just have to step up to the plate and take advantage. Hell, my daughter and her husband are still paying off college loans. Case in point, Obama. His father had 8 children with 3 different mothers and contributed very little to raising those children. His mother was a welfare hippie/activist on food stamps. Now he's president...

You seem to resent people with money. But without them, we would not be the country so many are scrambling to get into, not out of.

Yeah, I was a hippie years ago...before I started paying taxes...

Old 11-06-2010, 08:01 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,353,461 times
Quote:

Legumes are also a healthy, high protein option. My daughter, who is a vegeterian, taught me to make a pretty delicious "lentil roast". It is low calorie, low fat, very economical, and pretty good tasting, too. All you need are cooked lentils, oatmeal, tomatoe paste, chopped onions and seasoning, mixed together and baked like a meat loaf. It goes very far, and you won't find a cheaper meal.

Old 11-06-2010, 08:21 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,758,329 times
How is it some of those on Food Stamps can afford professionally done nails and salon colored and cut hair but they can't afford to buy food so they apply for food stamps ?

I color my own hair and do my own nails at home . I don't get food stamps but someday may need to. I will still color my hair at home and do my own nails . It's called * saving money *.

Old 11-06-2010, 08:36 AM

4,049 posts, read 2,742,119 times
I don't think anyone will argue that there is a certain amount of fraud in the welfare/food stamp system.
That being said, not EVERYONE who gets food stamps or welfare is stealing or certainly as suggested by various posters on CD ' living above their means'.

I hope those who advocate getting rid of ALL programs to help the poor or sick have to walk in the shoes of these people at least once before casting judgements.
I also wish that these people realize that the perpetrators of the much bigger theft of their tax dollars LOVES that they can get you focus on "the poor" so they can continue stealing right under your noses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies