Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 08:14 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times

Advertisements

Well OP, as usual the same few have chosen to ignore the implications clearly evident in your links and trot out the too-oft repeated claims regarding welfare fraud (off-topic), historical differences between Dems and the GOP (off-topic) and social security (off-topic).
Bottom line: the Rs campaigned on spending cuts and they will claim they made them even if they have to 'cut' programs that no longer exist to do so. Pretty lazy way to meet their goals if you ask me. What this also says to me is that they are so fixated on punishing those who are unable to find work and demonizing Reagan's 'welfare queens' that if a program has 'welfare' in the name it must be cut. What's a few more homeless people and unfed children in the larger scheme of things? Meanwhile defense will remain 'untouchable' and people will continue to buy the lies and make excuses for ineptitude.
I saw this morning that Ohio is planning to pay for new tax cuts by cutting Medicaid by half even though their current budget crisis is due to previous tax cuts that reduced state revenue. This is all the Rs know how to do - keep their patrons happy by starving those without a voice.
And so it goes...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 08:19 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
One little thing you forgot to calculate into your "hehehe I'm smarter than those Republicans" example.

Social Security IS welfare..

So much for you showing them who the smart one isnt..

SS is a ponzy scheme. People have spent lives in prison for the very same thing.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:22 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
SS is a ponzy scheme. People have spent lives in prison for the very same thing.
Fine...go find everyone involved in the creation of Social Security and throw them all in prison.

Better yet, throw every recipient that's ever recieved a check in prison too for knowingly taking money from a Ponzi Scheme.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:26 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Fine...go find everyone involved in the creation of Social Security and throw them all in prison.

Better yet, throw every recipient that's ever recieved a check in prison too for knowingly taking money from a Ponzi Scheme.

That is fine and dandy and all, but the easy thing to do would be to eliminate it. Why over think it. Use a little common sense.

Are you saying it is not identical to an illegal ponzy scheme?

Old 11-10-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
That is fine and dandy and all, but the easy thing to do would be to eliminate it. Why over think it. Use a little common sense.

Are you saying it is not identical to an illegal ponzy scheme?
No..it isn't.

A Ponzi is dishonest from the onset. It's designed to NEVER pay off. It's created with the opposite intention as SS. And SS is transparent, a Ponzi isn't. If you want to say that it has some similarities to a Pyramid Scheme, i could buy that. But it's not a Ponzi just because Thomas Sowell says it is.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:17 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domination83 View Post
Republicans these days are right-wing extremists. They are for big business at the expense of citizens.
Unlike those Democrats who have big business write the laws for america..
Healthcare bill, supported by big business, supported by Democrats, opposed by Republicans
financial reform bill, supported by big business, supported by Democrats, opposed by Republicans

Care to sight some examples to backup your stance because I've given you two very good examples of how Democrats = big business
Quote:
I'm no democrat but you can't sit there and tell me that Republicans don't screw over the average Joe for Mr. CEO on a daily basis.
Yes I can.. Republicans, (or more accurately, Conservatives) want LESS government and with LESS government you get more competition, and with more competition you get lower prices and profits for Mr CEO along with higher wages due to increased demand for employment.. I know its difficult to follow along, please try..
Quote:
They just say the right things and scare a good amount of the population into going with their agenda.
I thought we were talking about the Republicans, when did we talk about Democrats? Their claims of "people will die" if the GOP platform is followed, Hillary Clinton herself proclaimed that people would have to eat pet food, if it was followed during her husbands term. Of course the opposite was true.. but continue with your "I'm afraid".. That'll get you far!!
Quote:
How has Bush's tax-cuts for the rich work out for the rest of us?
It was tax cuts for EVERYONE.. The poor received a HIGHER tax cut as a percentage than the rich, and the tax cuts moved the tax burden onto the high income earners. This has been proven time and time again... In addition the result was 10,200,000 NEW jobs into the workforce, but I agree, if we know one thing of the Democratic strategy, its that we dont want more jobs..
Quote:
Trickle down doesn't work the same as trickle up is bound for failure. Great nations have a strong middle class.
And here you contradicted yourself because you cant have a strong middle class without a strong upper class.. How do you think they will be paid? When the economy gets tight, how do you think the losses continue to be covered? Dont you think america benefits from having the Buffets in society who employ hundreds of thousands if not millions?
Quote:
But the Republicans have been declaring war on us this past decade. And obviously they've been winning.
Then explain why capital gains tax revenue DOUBLED over the past decade under Bush and his tax cuts? Explain why the tax liability has moved TO the higher income bracket away from the middle class and the poor.. I bet you didnt even know this...
Quote:
There are some good Republicans. But the majority of them if they had their way would turn this country into another Mexico.
The Republicans are coming, the Republicans are coming.. I'm scared.. please save me!!

Ooh grow up..
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Bottom line: the Rs campaigned on spending cuts and they will claim they made them even if they have to 'cut' programs that no longer exist to do so. Pretty lazy way to meet their goals if you ask me. What this also says to me is that they are so fixated on punishing those who are unable to find work and demonizing Reagan's 'welfare queens' that if a program has 'welfare' in the name it must be cut.
The same old bs was repeated time and time again during the Clinton years.. We all know how tragic that turned out.. Record number of welfare recipients finding jobs, balanced budgets (or so Clinton claimed), stimulated economy.. yeah, wouldnt want to return to those years would we? I do find it ironic that you discuss "demonizing" welfare queens while you ignore reality and demonize Republicans.. Yeah, I guess its ok for you to do it..
Quote:
What's a few more homeless people and unfed children in the larger scheme of things? Meanwhile defense will remain 'untouchable' and people will continue to buy the lies and make excuses for ineptitude.
Yeah, whats wrong with Democrats lying, shouting hyperbolds, "people will die".. Republicans want to kill your puppies, eat your children.. Give the bs a rest.. What you are discussing has NEVER happened from the actions of Republicans to cut spending. In fact just the opposite. Its Democrats who increase welfare and perpetuate poverty which is the only possible outcome from their failed policies.
Quote:
I saw this morning that Ohio is planning to pay for new tax cuts by cutting Medicaid by half even though their current budget crisis is due to previous tax cuts that reduced state revenue. This is all the Rs know how to do - keep their patrons happy by starving those without a voice.
And so it goes...
I know, its difficult for some Democrats to comprehend that
1) Tax cuts do not increase deficits.. SPENDING does
2) Tax increases do not result in income increases
3) You cant increased Medicaid if the money isnt there...
4) You must stimulate the economy, THEN you can increase social programs as the income increases..
Responsible government, foreign to most Democrats.. Thanks for displaying the obvious..

btw, Ohio cut some business taxes but increased other business taxes to offset the ones cut, you are only hearing part of the story...
Quote:

The fact that they arent in prison doesnt mean its not a ponzi scheme. The fact is, its a WELFARE program, which is why it remains "legal".. The money given to the government is NOT yours.. Its the governments. ANYTHING you get back is at the free will of government to support you.. THATS WELFARE..
Quote:
No..it isn't.

A Ponzi is dishonest from the onset. It's designed to NEVER pay off. It's created with the opposite intention as SS. And SS is transparent, a Ponzi isn't. If you want to say that it has some similarities to a Pyramid Scheme, i could buy that. But it's not a Ponzi just because Thomas Sowell says it is.
Wrong.. a ponzi scheme is indeed designed to pay people off, ask those who received profits from Maddoff and had to return them. A ponzi scheme is also designed to profit those who get paid.. The government is the one getting paid, it benefits them.. Its a TAX, its a ponzi scheme.. How many here think they are entitled to receive something back because you paid into it? WRONG.. The government could tomorrow decide to cut all SS welfare checks and you get ZERO.. YOU HAVE NOTHING.. ITS NOT YOURS.. Its clearly a ponzi scheme by all definitions...

Old 11-10-2010, 01:16 PM

Fine. I'm glad you said that PGHQUEST...since you have so much moral indignation at the thought of an American style Ponzi Scheme that's a tax, when you're 62 and older, don't go to the SS office and collect your money!! But for now...keep paying, or we'll have your butt thrown in jail!

See? It's really that simple!

Old 11-10-2010, 01:27 PM

320 posts, read 290,461 times
Quote:
Unlike those Democrats who have big business write the laws for america..
Healthcare bill, supported by big business, supported by Democrats, opposed by Republicans
financial reform bill, supported by big business, supported by Democrats, opposed by Republicans
You mean similar to the 700billion bail-out the Republicans proposed in 08?

You can say what you want about the Democrats. I could care less about them. (Although our last competent president was a Dem) IMO they're a lesser evil. The democrats problem is that they're supposed to be for the working man and they don't fight for the average man as hard as the Republicans do for the rich. The Dem's do a ****-poor job defending the middle/lower class while the Republican's have basically declared war on us. Both parties can go to h--- as far as I'm concerned.

Quote:
Care to sight some examples to backup your stance because I've given you two very good examples of how Democrats = big business
Bush supported tax breaks for U.S corporations by supporting S. 1637. Imagine that. Giving billions in tax breaks so companies could outsource. Yeah that's great for the middle class.

Quote:
Yes I can.. Republicans, (or more accurately, Conservatives) want LESS government and with LESS government you get more competition, and with more competition you get lower prices and profits for Mr CEO along with higher wages due to increased demand for employment.. I know its difficult to follow along, please try..
With no regulations corporations can pay whatever they want and they do not have to have safe working conditions. That is what Republicans want. A return to the days before Roosevelt (In the era before the Republican party was corporate America's wh---).

Quote:
I thought we were talking about the Republicans, when did we talk about Democrats? Their claims of "people will die" if the GOP platform is followed, Hillary Clinton herself proclaimed that people would have to eat pet food, if it was followed during her husbands term. Of course the opposite was true.. but continue with your "I'm afraid".. That'll get you far!!
You mean just like Republicans have did in the past with terrorism and what they do now with illegal immigration Two things they did absolutely nothing to combat. Fact. Bush was so inept even with warnings he couldn't stop the biggest tragedy since Pearl Harbor. Or how he sent only a handful of troops to Afghanistan to pretend that he was interested in bringing Osama to justice. But he went all out against Iraq which was no threat to any of us. Couple that with the fact that deportations and disciplinary actions against illegals and the snakes who hire them came to a stand still under Bush's presidency while those same numbers have sky-rocketed under Obama. All facts.

Quote:
It was tax cuts for EVERYONE.. The poor received a HIGHER tax cut as a percentage than the rich, and the tax cuts moved the tax burden onto the high income earners. This has been proven time and time again... In addition the result was 10,200,000 NEW jobs into the workforce,
Right. Thats why the economy tanked and unemployment began it's rise during the Bush administration. Facts. The middle class and poor have taken the biggest hit during this economic downturn. High-paying jobs were replaced by lower paying jobs.

Quote:
but I agree, if we know one thing of the Democratic strategy, its that we dont want more jobs..
Right..... So unemployment was worse back in the Clinton days than what it turned into during the Bush administration?..... What a genius. I sometimes wonder if you right-wing extremists believe your crap.

Quote:
And here you contradicted yourself because you cant have a strong middle class without a strong upper class.. How do you think they will be paid? When the economy gets tight, how do you think the losses continue to be covered? Dont you think america benefits from having the Buffets in society who employ hundreds of thousands if not millions?
The republicans declared war on the middle class. How else to explain how we've began to shrink rapidly during the Bush administration?

Sure Republicans care about us normal folks. That's why now they're holding our tax cuts hostage so that billionaires can get extra money. The same people who send our jobs to China and India. The Dems are almost as bad. They're a bunch of pansies who fight for nothing. Republicans do as they will while the Dem's ask for permission.

Quote:
Then explain why capital gains tax revenue DOUBLED over the past decade under Bush and his tax cuts? Explain why the tax liability has moved TO the higher income bracket away from the middle class and the poor.. I bet you didnt even know this...
Explain the millions of jobs lost. Explain the stagnation of wages while production has increased?

Bush's tax cuts helped to ruin our economy. His policy was about as retarded as it gets. No I take that back. I shouldn't demean people with disabilities by comparing them to that idiot who ruined our great nation. "Hey let's increase spending while lowering taxes." How much money did our country lose by lowering taxes for people who were going to die billionaires anyways?

The Democratic party is worthless while the Republican party is an enemy to the middle class. Our conservative party is FAR more right-wing than conservative parties in other developed countries. They're basically extrem right populists today. We basically have a choice of either crap or turds. Thats the American political picture today.

Old 11-10-2010, 01:37 PM

880 posts, read 2,025,295 times
college kids have to pay back their loans why not people who are on welfare?

Old 11-10-2010, 01:38 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,455,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
That's because we grew up under Republican administrations that slashed funding for public education.
And you had Democrat parents who didn't know how to teach their children without government help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies